What's new

Haggises's entry to the straight side.

Got the Gold Dollar generously piffed by Krodor today and I learned a couple of things.
First off, these things are cute! The mind's eye says a straight is this huge thing as long as your forearm because that's the size in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The reality is a little metal thing of beauty. Not scary at all.

The second thing I learned is that hairs really do make a popping sound when approached by a sharpened razor. I may read it as true but part of me thought you were making it up. Now it's scary piece of dangerously sharp metal.

Unfortunately I'm too beat to use it tonight. Hoping to work from home tomorrow and take an hour for myself to figure this little beauty out.
A nice Mystic Waters Bay Rum, a TGN Silvertip and just me and a GD.
Thanks Krodor!
To be continued tomorrow.......

all straights are cute til they git ya a bit!..then the "lessons learned" kicks in...:biggrin1:..remember focus is key as well as prep

I'm interested
proxy.php

Looking forward to hearing about your encounter tomorrow. I was shooting for that PIF as well. I'm going to buy a Sight Unseen Whipped Dog soon so I'll still get my turn.

Merry Christmas and Happy Shaving!

Got the Gold Dollar generously piffed by Krodor today and I learned a couple of things.
First off, these things are cute! The mind's eye says a straight is this huge thing as long as your forearm because that's the size in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The reality is a little metal thing of beauty. Not scary at all.

my first straight was a GD, as well, with a similar first impression.

Then i got a larger blade and was bit taken back by the difference, even though on paper it's only ~2/8-3/8 change. very different experience to me.

proxy.php

good luck, hope it goes well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The steady part is important: don't let the edge rest on your skin. Confident strokes, and have the edge moving already when it encounters the face. Aren't you excited? :lol:
I did shave today (lightly) with the SE today- wanted to give my face a few extra healing days. I am excited for the next straight shave.

Every stroke of the blade is an act of will !!!
My 3 nicks were fairly small and only happened because I dropped my guard.
As a plus, I get extra hot points from the LOTH for using straights - she thinks they're sexy! Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited:
Well now.....

The setup
View attachment 292594

got a good lather going with the MW and TGN Silvertip.

Picked up razor, wiped gently with a tissue and promptly forgot how to hold it.
Got ipad, googled images, and brought to the bathroom.
Picked up razor again and fiddled around for a while before bringing to face. then realized I cant see my face in the mirror for the hand and razor in the way.
Eventually I got razor to skin and started deliberate, small strokes as instructed. Some tugging because like an idiot I went in with about a day and a half stubble.
Still, I got it mowed down on the cheek in short order.

Jawline and neck on the left side was interesting, trying to get the angles right while stretching and being able o see face.
Even more interesting was the comedy of errors moving to the left hand. I'm definitely and decidedly monodextrous.

First pass finished without nicks somehow, with a couple of dogded bullets - particularly the one where transferring from right to left and almost dragged the edge straight across a finger.....

Second WTG pass was actually easy on the cheeks and got to some of the stuff I missed on the neck first time round.
Third pass went slightly XTG, and even got to most of the stuff on the jawline that I missed on the first and second passes.

End result - DFS on cheeks, SAS on neck. No cuts, nicks, weepers, just a little irritation on the neck where I often get red.

Before:
$20121213_093144.jpg
After:
$20121213_100511.jpg
Should receive the Poor Mans Strop kit from Larry today also so I can noobie-ruin the edge by stropping.
thanks Krodor - this experiment will continue!

Shorter version ...that was fun and I didn't die from blood loss.
Will do again and thanks to Krodor!

Top Bottom