What's new

Haggises's entry to the straight side.

Frustration thy name is honing.
Look at goldisori, realize it's not shaving arm hair along whole length.
Take this and old Adoration 5/8 to the hones.
Adoration - 10 minutes on soft Ark. Not shaving arm hair. 10 more minutes same so spend some time on a wet King 1k.
Alas same results so shelve it for now.
Goldisori - 10 minutes on soft ark, shaving arm hair. Woo!
10 minutes on a hard ark, seem to be making progress.
10 minutes on trans ark, then strop on Crox loaded leather.
Strop cotton then 100 laps on leather.
Lather up and.....bloody awful. Tugging and pulling a lot, seems to be my worst attempt so far.

Back to the drawing board.

Just shows that not all of us have the magic hands when it comes to honing... Nice to know I'm not alone in that. lol

Tony, you can join Larry and I on the couch whenever we are waiting for the good edges to come back from Doc. hehe

My preferred hone:
proxy.php

Let's see if I can get back on the wagon a bit.

CJB, Feather Pro (1), MW Tea Tree and Blue Gum, Vie Long 12705

Not many blades better than a fresh Feather Pro.

I actually recently did a try out with the Feather Pro blades in my CJB, and man, they are brutal to my skin in that razor. The second and third shave on them wasn't quite as bad as the first one, then they got worse again as the edge broke down. Just not the blade selection for me, at least in that razor.

CJB, Feather Pro (2), Godrej cream, Plisson synthetic
Quick 2 passer. Still pleased though I did feel a little on the lower neck WTG that gave a little irritation post shave.

I actually recently did a try out with the Feather Pro blades in my CJB, and man, they are brutal to my skin in that razor. The second and third shave on them wasn't quite as bad as the first one, then they got worse again as the edge broke down. Just not the blade selection for me, at least in that razor.
What do you prefer in the CJB?
I'm thinking I find the Pro a bit harsher in the CJB than I did in the Feather SS or RG.

I picked up the Dorco blades made for the Feather AC razors, I like those in my CJB. Way less harsh for me, but just as effective.

Not sure where you got your CJB, mine came with a pack of them. You can most likely still find them on ebay for a reasonable cost though. I haven't seen any here for sale for a while.

A return.
Had some time today so got out the stones.
Spent an hour taking an edge backwards with a soft Ark so gave up and went back to basics.
I never did master the easy peasy lapping film so thought why not. On 12u film, got an arm hair topping bevel within 10 minutes on the Adoration. So excited, I left the film on the tile and hunted down my goldisori and German Excelsior.
Also put hair topping, arm shaving bevels, but ran out of time before the 5u.

So... I sought out the Wick hair shaper I bought earlier this year, dumped the Fromm blade and went with Personna and was amazed at how easy it swept away stubble.
Then I got careless and gashed a jowl. Can't have everything.

Well, just like any other skill, honing and shaving with straights takes practice to keep the skill up to par. I still never really liked the Personna hair shaper blades, they end up feeling a bit harsh to me over all.

Well, just like any other skill, honing and shaving with straights takes practice to keep the skill up to par. I still never really liked the Personna hair shaper blades, they end up feeling a bit harsh to me over all.
True enough.
Today's shave with the Weck went a bit better. Still bitey..

Tonight I took my 3 lovely arm shaving bevels to 5u and 3u lapping film only to find that after gentle laps on each film they no longer shave arm hair.
Buggerbuggerbugger.

Stropping on old strop with Crox however gave me an edge. I am sure this is indicative of some error on my part, just haven't figured out what it is.

CrOx will give you an edge, but be careful. It tends to be unforgiving, in my experience. Everytime i used it was some nasty razor-burn, so it has left my stash. ymmv.

Thanks!
Any ideas on why I took the edge backwards on finer film, but stropping brought it back to life? I'm stumped.

Top Bottom