What's new

Gripes and rants

So that further discussion can be kept on the highest plane possible I will retract the word STUPID and search for my Thesaurus.

As someone who has been coming to this site for at least a couple of years before joining, I can attest that search results for shaving info on sites other than here have often been terrible, misleading and/or suspect (i.e. articles in magazines supported by companies that sell the latest multi blade shaver). This is simply the best place to get the best info on shaving, and as it turns out, on a number of related and unrelated subjects.

As someone who has been coming to this site for at least a couple of years before joining, I can attest that search results for shaving info on sites other than here have often been terrible, misleading and/or suspect (i.e. articles in magazines supported by companies that sell the latest multi blade shaver). This is simply the best place to get the best info on shaving, and as it turns out, on a number of related and unrelated subjects.

I agree and that is why I am proud to be a member.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This reminds me a lot of the verification thread. Once we start putting members into classes of "this guy is more experienced, so he can comment" vs. "this guy is new and can't/shouldn't comment" we risk complete destruction of this site.

If you don't like answering questions over and over, don't do it. Just understand that there are many of us who not only don't mind, but have never even remotely had it affect them like it seems to have done with you.

Opinions are like ... belly buttons. Yeah, that's the body part I'm thinking of. Yeah. Opinions are like belly buttons: everybody's got one.

The point being, get to know the quality of the guy telling you something before you trust what he says. Just because he has a bazzillion posts, or a bunch of special "badges" next to his name, or is called Ouch, doesn't mean you should trust his judgment in Japanese knives or tacos. Well, if he's Ouch you can trust him, but otherwise ...

Let's face it - our reviews and our search software are pretty close to rotten. :lol:

That's a pretty good and succinct review right there. :thumbup1:

B&B isn't wikipedia - it's a discussion forum, so never feel bad about asking a question here.
Old members were answered by old old members, current members were answered by old members, new members are answered by current members, and on it goes.

+1 ... and sometimes, old members change (hopefully improve) their opinions and have something new to say.

So that further discussion can be kept on the highest plane possible I will retract the word STUPID and search for my Thesaurus.

What's another word for "Thesaurus"??

Wait......there are numbers on the blades?!?!? What do they mean?!?!?!?!? :lol: I'm probably guilty of half of these gripes but in my opinion this razor that I have only looked at, don't know the name of and have never touched is clearly the best I have ever used :thumbup:
Cheers gents

Of course there are #s on the blades. Otherwise how would you know when it's time to flip the blade and use the other side? :001_rolle

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Have to agree with #1. But my real gripe is users who can't lather MB :lol:. Just kidding, but I do wonder about that. And the "numbers on the blades" usually gets some seriously hilarious replies. In fact there's one right above

So long as posts are friendly and polite, my tolerance for repeated or common discussions on any topic is virtually unlimited.

For most of the "Help me _______" or "Can you recommend a ___________" threads, I've just developed the habit of bookmarking or subscribing to my posts concerning common issues and products, and then cutting-and-pasting. It seems to be a win-win situation for everyone.

My ONLY gripe is the very rare occasion when an OP has a political ax to grind, rather than really wanting to discuss wet shaving. I've only recently seen this on a very few synthetic vs. natural hair brush discussions and a thread or two about blades from Russia when the Ukraine crisis first hit the news. It's unquestionably the exception, not the rule, here on B&B.

Whenever I feel the urge to roll my eyes or pound my keyboard after reading a post, I simply recall my early days of blissful ignorance about wet shaving and my desire to learn all that I could without truly knowing what questions to ask.

BTW, can anyone recommend a soft shaving brush, a soap that smells good or a sharp blade?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am gonna throw this out there. I am pretty new. Less than 3 months. I searched "shave stick" today and man the stuff that came up from 2005. I need to bleach my eyes.

Yeah, the search feature is a bit weak. Did you have some specific shave stick questions? If you want to know about Palmolive or Speick, and don't get your answers in the soap forum, shoot me a PM.

I have to agree with #2 in a way. If I was to rate my top 5 soaps/creams 3 month ago when I started it would have been: Proraso green, MWF, Nivea original, Real Shaving Company, and L'Occitaine Cade but today it would be: Tabac, Arko, La Toja, RazorRock KOTC Lavendar and Cella. I would have posted how great Proraso is but now I would rate it middle of the pack -- it's usable but there are just so many better products out there. Now that I have tried a ton more products and my lathering is a lot better so I now have a much better idea about what good, bad, lathers look like. Of course, that's just part of the learning process and being an enthusiastic shaver.

Yeah, the search feature is a bit weak. Did you have some specific shave stick questions? If you want to know about Palmolive or Speick, and don't get your answers in the soap forum, shoot me a PM.

Actually, the best thing I find is just go to Google and type in your search term along with "Badger and Blade". It's actually better than the site engine almost every time.

Now my gripe is the "Use more product!" thread. I mean really... oh wait... hold on... those are actually some of the BEST threads! :thumbup:

Top Bottom