What's new

Gripes and rants

Another member mentioned being on a sports car forum. I have 3 cars from different manufacturers and belong to 3 forums. It is typical for new members to ask questions that have been answered many times. Some people reply with a "The search engine is your friend" (usually nicely) or something similar. Others answer the question as if it was asked for the first time.

The only mild gripe I have is when members post on the wrong sub-forum, for example asking about a shave brush on the soaps forum. But at the same time, I have seen moderators and/or stewards mention that to the poster or possibly move the post to the appropriate section.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe I have had good experiences with airline food. Swiss Air will even give you those nice Swiss chocolates ... :drool: Could be worse.

I actually don't care about airline food. I never really fly. I was just trying to do the whole Jerry Seinfeld Gripe/Rant schtick. :biggrin1: That is what instantly popped in my mind when I saw the title of the thread.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If nobody asked the same questions or if everyone posted "google it" then what the heck would be the point of every single Internet forum?

Because let's be honest here....everyone asks the same questions, maybe just worded differently. Everyone posts pictures of the same razors, maybe just different backgrounds. Everyone has the same basic review of a blade or razor, you like it or you don't, just depends on how creative your vocabulary is.

All content on every forum is just a duplicate of someone else's post/thread only difference is who's writing it and how they write it.

Heck I've seen threads like this at least 4 times in the past. And I've had the same basic response at least twice.
Maybe I should have googled my response and directed you to the link.

If there are boring posts, members are not required to read them.
What's the purpose of a discussion forum if people should just search for an answer. This place would be pretty quiet if only new questions could be asked.
+1 I was the Newb a 9 months ago, I know I asked a lot of common questions and gave reviews of products. Lathering help please?? I'm sure I've had more than a couple annoying posts! I didn't know the right questions to ask until members first gave me the answers.

Matt

The only mild gripe I have is when members post on the wrong sub-forum, for example asking about a shave brush on the soaps forum. But at the same time, I have seen moderators and/or stewards mention that to the poster or possibly move the post to the appropriate section.

Yeah, we keep an eye out for that stuff, biggest reason being the question will likely get more and better answers when it's in the place that it fits into better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I personally kind of agree with your #2 and #3.
Sometimes #2 is done because of #3 - meaning someone fairly new coming in and posting a rave review of a soap or other product and it turns out that the individual was encouraged to do so by the producer or other interested party.

The review section was limited to people who had some time here so that when other members read the reviews written, they had some context and could see where the reviewer was coming from.

Unfortunately, the review software that piggybacks on the sites software is so horrendous that people just write reviews in regular threads, and there's no vetting of the individual making the review.

There's nothing like a guy who started shaving with a brush and soap last week writing glowing effluent on a soap.
Now don't get me wrong, a new guy can certainly state he has had good results with anything he wants (peanut butter, cheez wiz etc) and he can certainly attest to how easy a soap is to lather, but I tend to take opinions from someone who has been doing this for more than a month or two with a little more credence.

Maybe an entirely new "Reviews Forum" might be an answer, whereby access to post in the review forum itself is controlled like it is with the clubs and groups and the BST.
That would bypass the issue with the horrid review software, though it would make it more difficult to search for specific items.
Perhaps a hybrid mixture of the two might work.

I am gonna throw this out there. I am pretty new. Less than 3 months. I searched "shave stick" today and man the stuff that came up from 2005. I need to bleach my eyes.

I agree on #2, and that's why I often look to the 3017 thread for soap/cream reviews.

For razors and brushes, a pass-around review would be interesting.

I am one of those you are griping about; in fact, I posted a thread last week about my qualms in posting a question that may have been asked before. I guess that I may be considered lazy in that I don't always thoroughly check by a word search or use the Wikis. For me, while the forums can be used as an encyclopedia to look up information, I enjoy the conversational aspect, and post in order to engage in a conversation with others who have a similar interest. So I hope that others will give me the benefit of the doubt when I post a question that has been asked before.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am one of those you are griping about; in fact, I posted a thread last week about my qualms in posting a question that may have been asked before. I guess that I may be considered lazy in that I don't always thoroughly check by a word search or use the Wikis. For me, while the forums can be used as an encyclopedia to look up information, I enjoy the conversational aspect, and post in order to engage in a conversation with others who have a similar interest. So I hope that others will give me the benefit of the doubt when I post a question that has been asked before.

I can't find a question in your post to answer.

Let's face it - our reviews and our search software are pretty close to rotten. :lol:
In the case of the reviews, meh - we can work it out.
In the case of topics, it actually works to our favor.

I mean - folks can do the whole
Lilac Vegetal site:badgerandblade.com
google search thing, but B&B isn't wikipedia - it's a discussion forum, so never feel bad about asking a question here.
Old members were answered by old old members, current members were answered by old members, new members are answered by current members, and on it goes.

Like others who have posted I belong to a sports car forum and also a cycling forum. I also lurk on other forums, shaving, cars and cycling related.
For me what sets B&B apart from other forums that I visit is the kind and gentlemenly behaviour that is exhibited by its members. You don't get the sniping and sometimes downright nastiness that you see on other forums(particularly the non shaving ones).
If there are posts that I find uninteresting or boring I simply move on to the next one.

RE: generic Titles- If you roll your curser over the title a mini pop-up window will show you the 1st couple of sentences. Saves a lot of time.

I personally kind of agree with your #2 and #3.
Sometimes #2 is done because of #3 - meaning someone fairly new coming in and posting a rave review of a soap or other product and it turns out that the individual was encouraged to do so by the producer or other interested party.

The review section was limited to people who had some time here so that when other members read the reviews written, they had some context and could see where the reviewer was coming from.

Maybe an entirely new "Reviews Forum" might be an answer, whereby access to post in the review forum itself is controlled like it is with the clubs and groups and the BST.
That would bypass the issue with the horrid review software, though it would make it more difficult to search for specific items.
Perhaps a hybrid mixture of the two might work.
I wouldn't know how to do this practically, but encouraging "initial impressions" posts and threads, rather than full reviews comes to mind.

On the matter of answering questions, that is certainly one of the most important functions of any board. I posted dozens of questions of my own, and still do today. Some questions are so broad--"What kind of brush should I buy" that they need helpful suggestions for further detail in order to answer appropriately. I understand this as well. From time to time I see long strings of similar posts from the same individual, even though they have been directed to the Wiki (with links) for answers. I do not read or respond to these because others are sure to respond. Still, I feel that posters should be encouraged to use the tools that are available to them.

Last edited:
I am quite surprised at the responses to this Thread. Codfish has been a great source of information and wise advice on these forums for some time. It is almost as if no one wants to be accused of being politically incorrect about any criticism of inane posts, no matter how stupid some may sound. I think all he wanted was a discussion on improving the quality of our website and making it a more respected source of information for the "new" wet shaver. So many today are learning through reading forums as opposed to those more fortunate who have received instructions from their father when the whiskers began to grow. We could all afford to take ourselves less seriously.

I respect Jim very much and I think he knows that.

Now, if you think a post is stupid, or its quality is not good enough (in your opinion) , then just do as suggested by some, ignore and move on.

Rest assured others will still reply to the "stupid" post.

Last edited:
I respect Jim very much and I think he knows that.

Now, if you think a post is stupid, or its quality is not good enough (in your opinion) , then just do as suggested by some, ignore and move on.

Rest assured others will still reply to the "stupid" post.
Just to be clear, I never said that an post or anyone was stupid.

Top Bottom