What's new

Gripes and rants

:001_rolleI frequently see things on shaving forums that tick me off. I find them irritating an unnecessary. I see them time after time, and they just get under my skin.

Some are questions that are asked so often that they become standing jokes. Some of these are treated as serious inquiries, some are met with groans, some become targets of hilarious jokes, which almost make them tolerable. Most represent things that have been discussed many times before. I can understand when brand new members ask them, but more experienced members could find answers if they got off their behinds and did a simple search on the boards or a Google search. They strike me as wanting to be spoon fed.

I would like responses that are generic, and not critical of individual boards, but general in nature.

1. Thread titles that don't identify the subject matter. Titles like "Help needed", "I got this in the mail" and "Suggestions please" tell me nothing. For the most part, they are a personal waste of time to open.
  2. Razor "Reviews" written after one or two shaves. These are often written by new DE shavers with one month (sometimes less) experience, and less than 25 posts in their carriers. In the past, boards recommended minimum lengths of time with a razor (30 days, for example), and some minimum requirements for posting before this was allowed.
  3. Posts by members with a "cause'. They instruct members to do things the right way, and champion their opinions at great length. They are critical, and sometimes insulting, to those who think differently.
  4. Questions about the numbers on the corner of blades.:lol: Just kidding, I never tire of them. These at times generate hilarious responses, and are often entertaining. I wondered myself.

Maybe I should just exercise my eye-rolling muscles more often.

That's all for now. I can think of more, but I want to hear from you. Remember to please keep these as generic as possible. This is not intended to be a rant towards specific boards.

Last edited:
Not trying to start an argument just pointing out that "Gripes and Rants" is not much different than "Help Needed". Just saying. I think the titles are written as a teaser. An attempt to get people to open the thread for a read. For example. I opened this thread thinking it might be some gripes and rants about some soap or razor or style. Or maybe a tongue-in-cheek title and not really griping or ranting except about how great something is.

I think you should ask yourself why something so pointless bothers you so much.
There are far more important things in life, just be happy and move on.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some are questions that are asked so often that they become standing jokes. Some of these are treated as serious inquiries, some are met with groans, some become targets of hilarious jokes, which almost make them tolerable. Most represent things that have been discussed many times before. I can forgive them when brand new members ask them, but more experienced members could find answers if they got off their behinds and did a simple search on the boards or a Google search.

We have answered this so many times before, I'm surprised you didn't find it in your search.
I will repeat it here again;

We encourage people to ask questions, even if they have been asked and answered hundreds of times before.

We frown on members suggesting that people should use the search function instead of asking.

If there are boring posts, members are not required to read them.
What's the purpose of a discussion forum if people should just search for an answer. This place would be pretty quiet if only new questions could be asked.

I think it's pretty standard behavior on any type of forum.

I'm a member of a sports car forum and there are plenty of newbies that ask questions that have been answered many times. Just like the B&B, a little research in the articles section reveal the answers to most inquiries.

There are also members with a cause.

Purists who cannot tolerate any modifications of the cars.
Experts whose say is "final".
Folks who slam a supplier or manufacturer.

It is annoying. And I'm guilty of a premature review (blades) as well. With this activity, YMMV is the only sure thing. Be it blades, brushes, soaps AS, razors, creams and even certain techniques.

I've been wet shaving for over 40 years but still learn and try new ideas (and products!) that I've read about on the B&B.

There is no "best" anything for everyone. I rarely open threads that say "recommend me a __________." Again, I've solicited this type of advice myself (early on).

I do find most posts informative and strongly feel most members are indeed gentlemen.

The purpose of this forum is to encourage others to post, whether they are a newbie or experienced. Yes there will posts that might seem meaningless to you, they are important to the one that posted it. Enjoy the forum and have fun.

I'm sorry Jim, but this time I will have to disagree with you. I mentioned this already, a few times actually : questions, no matter how old or how new, is what makes B&B a healthy forum, the best in fact.

I don't mind answering the same questions, others did that for me before , so ...

This reminds me a lot of the verification thread. Once we start putting members into classes of "this guy is more experienced, so he can comment" vs. "this guy is new and can't/shouldn't comment" we risk complete destruction of this site.

If you don't like answering questions over and over, don't do it. Just understand that there are many of us who not only don't mind, but have never even remotely had it affect them like it seems to have done with you.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was a luker for almost 3 years before becoming a member in March. I did a lot of searches over that time for a wide variety of subjects. I appreciated all the similar threads devoted to one topic. I wanted to see the many different opinions on that one topic from both new and veteran members alike.

Just recently I was having some doubts about the NEWs and started a new thread, and yes, I did some research before but wasn't satisfied.

I wonder how many NEW threads there is ... hundreds? :001_unsur Still, a lot of people replied, the thread has like 60 comments, Xillion posted his NEW pics for the gazillionth time, which I appreciate a lot ( Thank you Chris!) , and in the end, I think it turned out being quite an interesting thread.

If we stop doing this, it's the beginning of the end.

I'm really sorry. I did not mean to offend. I hoped it would generate a kind of learning experience, and was intending it to be light-hearted. I remember a "griipe" post by Luc a few years ago that generated a good response. I hamen't posted in the "General" forum in a while, and was hoping to generate a discussion that would be a positive one.

Obviously, I failed and for that I apologize. I have requested that my post be withdrawn.

We have answered this so many times before, I'm surprised you didn't find it in your search.
I will repeat it here again;

We encourage people to ask questions, even if they have been asked and answered hundreds of times before.

We frown on members suggesting that people should use the search function instead of asking.

If there are boring posts, members are not required to read them.
We need an answer forum so people could just search for an answer. This place would be pretty quiet .
There I fixed it for you! :clap::clap:( good to see you back)

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The only gripe I have is with the post office. When I push enter on my keyboard to purchase I never know whats going to happen.

And btw ... Jim ...

Do you really know what those #s on the blades are? PM me please ...
$i-kid-i-kid.jpg

"Do you really know what those #s on the blades are?..."

Hand me the pliers.
I have an elephant in my pocket.

Last edited:
I don't know about the US, but in Europe I have had good experiences with airline food. Swiss Air will even give you those nice Swiss chocolates ... :drool: Could be worse.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Posts by members with a "cause'. They instruct members to do things the right way, and champion their opinions at great length. They are critical, and sometimes insulting, to those who think differently.

Sounds a bit like a cause to me. :001_rolle

Top Bottom