What's new

Graham Field month

Bro, you have it so organized and together!! Very impressed by how you have your blades divided and planned!! Excellent job!!
Thank you for the compliment. :001_smile

I'm a "night before" guy. When a blade needs to be changed, I make the decision the "night before" my shave, choose a new blade, clean the razor, and re-set things for the next morning's shave.
:thumbup: IMO "doing what you like best" is the way to go. Wouldn't life be boring if we all did things the same way?

I'm sad that some many people are one and done with this blade. I understand why, but they don't get to experience how good this blade actually is.

Shave 38 today. Every time I think it isn't shaving well, this blade reminds me to focus on blade angle. Once I do that, it's a stellar finish!

I'm very impressed, and glad to hear that you are getting good shaves from these blades. Nice video by the way. That was one of the most effortless shaves I've ever seen.
I think I'll revisit them after I finish a longevity test with Ted Pella coated Gem Stainless steel single edge blades.

Congrats to everyone else that could get more than a couple shaves of of a Graham-Field prep blade.

I received my 3 GF blades today from a secret reposotory somewhere in Missouri. I am stoked to try my hand at these infamous instruments! Any suggestions on which razor to use for blade #1?

I received my 3 GF blades today from a secret reposotory somewhere in Missouri. I am stoked to try my hand at these infamous instruments! Any suggestions on which razor to use for blade #1?
I say something with some weight behind it. I seemed to have the best shaves with a wide open Fatboy or Slim. But, I didn't make it to half the number of shaves that KJ has. At any rate go with something you feel comfortable. Good luck!

A mild one!

I say something with some weight behind it. I seemed to have the best shaves with a wide open Fatboy or Slim. But, I didn't make it to half the number of shaves that KJ has. At any rate go with something you feel comfortable. Good luck!

Well, I couldn't wait and I wanted to shave before heading out this morning so when in doubt I always go for my birth year C3 Super Speed. Omega 66 boar brush and Proraso menthol and eucalyptus soap. Maiden voyage with this "terrible", "worse" blade of all time. I entered into the shave with extra caution as I do with any new blade or razor. Normal prep and face-lather, correct blade angle and light pressure... Right from the first strokes and pass I sense this is not a very sharp and smooth blade, some tugging but nothing alarming. I finished a 3-pass shave without any problems or discomfort. The shave quality and rating would be a decent socially acceptable shave, not the DFS I typically expect. I did not do any touch up or blade buffing so actually a OK shave for the effort invested. I will stay with the blade through the weekend and report back on Tuesday.

Well done [MENTION=50233]SteveWY[/MENTION]. :thumbup:
I'm definitely looking forward to Tuesday's report. :popc:

Well, I couldn't wait and I wanted to shave before heading out this morning so when in doubt I always go for my birth year C3 Super Speed. Omega 66 boar brush and Proraso menthol and eucalyptus soap. Maiden voyage with this "terrible", "worse" blade of all time. I entered into the shave with extra caution as I do with any new blade or razor. Normal prep and face-lather, correct blade angle and light pressure... Right from the first strokes and pass I sense this is not a very sharp and smooth blade, some tugging but nothing alarming. I finished a 3-pass shave without any problems or discomfort. The shave quality and rating would be a decent socially acceptable shave, not the DFS I typically expect. I did not do any touch up or blade buffing so actually a OK shave for the effort invested. I will stay with the blade through the weekend and report back on Tuesday.
Welcome to the club!:thumbup1:

Good to hear it went so well for the first run, it only gets better from here. Sound like you made a wise choice with the razor. That is pretty much the same reason I kept going back to my Fatboy. It just always works well for me, no matter what blade I use.

Finally, someone else who wasn't turned off by the first shave! Can't wait to hear how you get along with this blade as your shaves continue!

I know May was Graham-Field Month but unless advised differently I will continue to post in this thread. Redirect me if needed please.

This is where I have been posting, and where I suggested others to post, so you're in the right place.

Here is my update and review from the first 4 shaves and a reply to TheVez2 and Troy...

Finally, someone else who wasn't turned off by the first shave! Can't wait to hear how you get along with this blade as your shaves continue!

I was not turned off on shave #1 but 4 shaves in I see no change and I am not liking the experience. I was hoping the blade would smooth out after a couple shaves as most blades do for me but that has not been the case. I am staying with the challenge for at least one week but I am not optimistic. I have been using my slickest soaps (Proraso, Arko, MWF) and a Super Speed that is a proven razor with any blade I use.

So far my experience is similar to some others in that I find the blade not sharp at all and/or just rough. The first pass is a tug fest! I have been careful to maintain my routine of good lather, keeping my face wet and re-lathered between passes, and watching pressure and angle. The blade does not seem to cut smoothly and tugging is the best description. The second and third passes seem to go better than the first but stubble reduction lags any other blade I have used. I have not had any nicks, cuts, or irritation but the final result is a socially-acceptable shave and I detect palpable stubble by mid-afternoon.

Welcome to the club!:thumbup1: Good to hear it went so well for the first run, it only gets better from here. Sound like you made a wise choice with the razor. That is pretty much the same reason I kept going back to my Fatboy. It just always works well for me, no matter what blade I use.

See above. It isn't really gone "so well"! I have never used Merkur or other often shunned blades but I can say this blade is worse than any blade brand I have tried including rebranded Personna and others. I don't know if the razor matters but I may have to try the blade in another razor and see. Standby for news!

I will hang tough through the week and let you know how it's going. I may have to pass on the remaining two blades to another brave soul!

Glad to hear your still hanging in there. Hopefully it gets a little smoother for you. When I did my run I took a few breaks from it, and I could tell a big difference in the first pass when I had great shave the day before. Just that little bit of extra stubble really gives it trouble. I definitely was settling for less than great shaves and a little extra work, but the fact that I wasn't getting irritation and it seemed to get better with use kept me intrigued enough to pick it up again.

After a week, I noticed a huge improvement.

Had shave #41 this morning, I believe.
Wow, 41 that's insane!:w00t::thumbup:

How many shaves do you get out of a normal blade?

I would say my best shaves were 7 through 13 or so. But even at its best I would say it was about like the Astra I just tossed at 35. I could have kept it going, but it was taking more work than I wanted to put into it.

I don't normally keep track. So I have no idea. The last time I kept track of anything seriously it was over 66 shaves with a Feather.

Graham Field Shave #5:

Prep: Shower and face wash
Lather: Tabac
Brush: Semogue 1800 boar
Razor: C3 '57 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Graham Field (5)

After my first 4 days results I was extra diligent about my routine today. I went for Tabac which is my gold standard for the best lather when I am trying new things. The shave was identical to the previous shaves. First pass was unpleasant with tugging. I was thinking about the joking about comparing dull blades to shaving with a broken clam shell or tin can! Not really that bad but I never think about that with any other blade I use. I did 3 carefully executed passes and a 4th touch up phase. I did achieve a fairly close shave but even as I write an hour post shave I detect some places I missed. A lot of effort for a not "fine" shave.

I am staying with my challenge fellas but I have to say I am not enjoying anything about this blade experience. Perhaps too early for a verdict but I have to believe this blade was not intended for DE shavers but more as a utilitarian blade for hospitals and barbers. I don't think I will go to the next GF blade so if any thread followers are intrigued and want to try I will pass on the remaining 2 blades KV sent me.

I am staying with my challenge fellas but I have to say I am not enjoying anything about this blade experience.
You're a real soldier Steve, going into battle with TBFH. :thumbup1:

Mind you, some experiments, especially TBFH one, kinda take away the fun aspect of this hobby of ours. I wonder what the electric and cartridge users that lurk around here think about threads like this one.

I tried the Graham Field I was pif'ed again last night. Made it through an extremely uncomfortable, pulling, tugging,and generally bad pass. Like the first try, most of the bristles were still attached to my face even tho it felt like it had pulled loose at least 2 layers of skin. Definitely won't be trying again!

Top Bottom