What's new

Good inexpensive blade that gives a smooth shave

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This thread was started over two years ago. Reading through it...you can tell...as some of the prices listed for blades like Personna Red and Lab Blue are ridiculously low for a box of 100.

I would recommend the following:

First, go to tryablade.com and buy 2 of each of 6-8 blades...ones that you think you would be interested in...try em...and go from there.

Lots of good blades at all different price points. Good luck! Enjoy the search (very important)! Happy shaves!

The money you save buying cheap blades now will be later spent in blood loss.
There are dozens of blades that people will recommend as their favorites. Nevertheless, nearly everyone will agree that the Aster Superior Platinum is an excellent blade to begin your shaving career.
Which razor are you using, since that may also affect the performance of a blade?
Take a look, too, at this video for some great shaving techniques & tips:

Thank you for replying,AZ.
As you said,Astra SP is so far the best for me
It's very decent,but a little too decent and sort of lacking of excite.And not so cheap buying it in Japan.
And I'd already watched that video,that was very helpful for me.
I have only 2 razors,Feather Popular and Qshave RD729.Both is good for me,but I favor Qshave's one despite of I'm Japanese.
Tian Li is terrible on both razors.But this may be the cheapest blade of world wide,so I hope if I can decent shave with this.

I've seen some other enlightened folks already mentioned Silver Star by Lord. $7.99/100 and the best blade I have tried. Packed up over 80 GSB's I'd been using and sent to my brother after the first 3 blades to ensure consistency. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Astra and BIC. The BIC gets smoother the more shaves you put on it up until about 10-15 shaves. That makes it a very inexpensive per shave blade.

What shop is the lowest price for Voskhod?
I want to buy about under 10.00 USD including shipping fee to Japan.
Does anyone know?

I keep straying away from Astra sp out of the need to find something better......but then I just continually come back and find that astra sp is by far the best for my face. At ten cents a blade I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and order ~500 or so and be done with it.
Trying is half the fun :)

Feathers are not that expensive
I bought my 100 pack of feathers for like 20-25 USD a few years back
Don't use DE much these days but I have around 60-70 left.
let's just be aggressive and say 30 bucks for 100 feather blades
and let's just say you get 4-6 shaves per blade or make that an average of 5.
100 blades, 5 shaves per blade, 30 bucks for 100..
that's 30 cents per blade, and 6 cents per shave.
And let's be real, you can probably get more shaves than that from a feather, and find them for a cheaper price. Considering you could get them cheaper and get more shaves than 4-6 you could probably cut that down to 2-3 cents per shave with a feather.
So from this perspective, they are still quite cheap, so cheap that you don't have to worry about it imo. Still more exprnsive than other blades for sure, but all DE blades are really cheap ig you buy them from the right place.

Astra's becoming too mainstream for you? Check Amazon's current pricing for BiC Platinums, Voskhods, and also Super Max Blue Diamonds. Paired with a quality soap, any of these will provide excellent shaves.

Treet DuraSharp Greens, and now the Blues...excellent blades even in demanding razors (like the iKon ShaveCraft Tek), good longevity, QA never an issue so far.

The tryablade.com advice is what I'd recommend. Blades are very much ymmv but back when I was still using modern blades the least expensive one in my bag of favorites was the Rapira Swedish Super Steels. Surprisingly smooth at any price, for modern offerings.

I would usually buy my Nacets from Italian barber for $16 CDN per 100. They’ve now shot up to $27 CDN for 100. I’ll be forced to shop elsewhere until the price comes down.

Dorco Prime Platinum. Dirt cheap in North America, and a great blade. Of course, YMMV as with any blade, but they work well for me in every one of my razors I've tried it in, GC .68 and .84, Rockwell 6C with plates 4,5, and 6, and my Progress. Haven't tried it in my Mamba yet, or my Qshave, but I don't usually use them.

E2B8B707-FB5F-43F3-9D15-0AB2075CE037.jpeg

The Made In India Wilkinson Sword blades costs USD 1.50 for 50 blades pack in India. Extremely cheap and offers excellent shave for at least 4 times per blade! Many YouTube shaving vloggers and international websites have also lauded this blade for offering an extremely close shave!!

IMO, Wilkinson ain't the quality blade it was in the 1970's. Razorbladesclub.com sells a 5 pack tuck of the German blades for $1.39. They also sell the (better) India version for $1.99 for a 10 pack - it gets very good reviews.
For a solid go-to blade, also consider Astra Superior Platinums. Very few people have any issues with them.

"IMO, Wilkinson ain't the quality blade it was in the 1970's."

None are now. It's not that it's a forgotten science and we're living in the dark ages, blades aren't made to the same level of quality now because they'd be too expensive for the vast majority of men that still shave our way.

Top Bottom