What's new

Good inexpensive blade that gives a smooth shave

Indian Wilkinson can be had today for $5.80/100 on eBay with 15% off sale .I paid $7.55/100 for Astra SS last sale.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The most inexpensive blade that gives a great, smooth shave for me is the Dorco Prime. This blade right now is filling my personal "Best Value" position.

I agree, I have Dorco Prime and Gillette Wilkinson Sword India as my 2 current favorites. I get 12 shaves from a Dorco Prime and 9 from a India wilkie. Feel like a Polsilver SI on my face (another of my favorites)

I agree, I have Dorco Prime and Gillette Wilkinson Sword India as my 2 current favorites. I get 12 shaves from a Dorco Prime and 9 from a India wilkie. Feel like a Polsilver SI on my face (another of my favorites)

A big plus 1 on both blades. The Dorco Prime has become my all-time favorite blade (regardless of price point), and I always enjoyed the Gillette Wilkinson Swords too.

Spinal Surgery, thank goodness not brain. So far so good. First follow up is Monday. Maybe they'll ok me to drive again...

As far as smooth blades for a reasonable price, i'd like to add the Derby premiuim.
listening to everyone recommend astras makes me cringe hands down for me a p.o.s. blade, what ever it is about that blade just hurts my face. i'd give tryablade or razorbladesclub.com a serious look try them first it will save you in the long run. you can try several packs without the rest of 100 blades that your stuck with.
Another thing to keep in mind is not switching new products untill your sure no allergic reaction. I have bad reactions from Sandlewood didn't know it for a couple months when I first started de shaving I thought it was poor technic, almost quit and grew a beard lol. I always use the same set up when testing new blades.
Now I keep a journal about new products what I think of it and what I used with it.
Best of luck on your hunt.

My cheapest blade on a cost per blade basis is my most expensive per shave, and my most expensive on a cost per blade basis is my cheapest. The cost per shave for Black Beauties is 6x as much as for my beloved Perma-Sharp Supers.

Treet Black Beauty:
Cost per blade: 10 cents
Shaves: 5
Cost per Shave: 2 cents

Perma-Sharp Super:
Cost Per Blade: 20 cents
Shaves: 60
Cost per Shave: .033 cents per shave

The Astras are so good I don't really know why I bother with other blades.

Other than variety being the spice of life. Astras are the blade I reach for after making two swipes on my cheek with a Voskhod and realize that once again, that blade is attempting to shave me by pulling the entire hair out by the root.

Other than that, I like Israeli Personnas, Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows, and some newly purchased Derby Premiums.

Voskhod in a Super Speed cannot be beat for price and longevity. However in my Slim these blades are not that good. For me that is. I also like Astra and Derby but the edge goes to Voskhod. 9 bucks a hun cannot put you in the Shavers Poor House either.
Voskhod is among my top favorites. They work great in a greater variety of razors than any of my other blades, except maybe the BIC Chromium Platinums. - try one in a Gillette Tech or any vintage 3 piece razor - impressively smooth and irritation-free shave!

Zorrik Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux Astra Sp, and Tian Li are all great blades for a low price.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

They're all cheap (well, they can be). I've amassed a lifetime supply of Shark Platinums, Chromes and Stainless, Astra SP, Lord Platinum, Personna Blues, Voskhods, Rapira LUX, and others.
Voskshod was the first really cheap blade I bought on Amazon simply because there were a lot of great reviews, plus the 100 pack was just over 7 bucks. It proves to still be one of my favorites in several razors.
I most recently tried the BIC Platinums & like them enough to get a 100 pack from an E-Bay seller with best offer of $8. I felt as though I was robbing a blind man, so naturally I got a 2nd 100 pack. Somewhere there's an E-Bay seller eating ramen noodles by candle light to save up for his electric bill.
Typically Amazon has the cheapest blades, as long as you buy from the guys offering free shipping, but prices change based on popularity. So when you see those Astra SP's for sale on Amazon for $7.53, best jump on them, since the price won't stay low for long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom