What's new

Gonna try the R41 2011 steep angle approach. Any helpful hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your argument, but wonder what you think of the role of blade exposure. To me, it seems that the closeness of the R41s blade relative to the edge of the tooth-comb may be a more significant factor. What do you think?

I could certainly buy this line of thinking….

I understand your argument, but wonder what you think of the role of blade exposure. To me, it seems that the closeness of the R41s blade relative to the edge of the tooth-comb may be a more significant factor. What do you think?

Absolutely! Blade exposure is the main factor. It's the R41! :001_smile That's why I said the top cap is a "moderate regulator" of pressure. The R41's blade exposure puts most of the pressure on the blade edge. The top cap width tunes the distribution of pressure moderately up or down depending on width. The main difference between the R41's I own, both 2011 and 2013 varieties is in the top cap width.

Blade relative to edge is also a big factor in my opinion. The blade is closer to the apex of the comb much more than any other razor i have seen. I bet that if we measure the width of the razor from comb's apex to apex the R41 has one of the narrowest dimensions.

Last edited:
Blade relative to edge is also a big factor in my opinion. The blade is closer to the apex of the comb much more than any other razor i have seen. I bet that if we measure the width of the razor from comb's apex to apex the R41 has one of the narrowest dimensions.

Absolutely! Blade exposure is the main factor. It's the R41! :001_smile That's why I said the top cap is a "moderate regulator" of pressure. The R41's blade exposure puts most of the pressure on the blade edge. The top cap width tunes the distribution of pressure moderately up or down depending on width. The main difference between the R41's I own, both 2011 and 2013 varieties is in the top cap width.

Wow! Three B & B members agreeing on the same thing. In this thread no less! Should we get together for a party? :thumbup1:

Seriously--nice to see opinions coming together.

Wow! Three B & B members agreeing on the same thing. In this thread no less! Should we get together for a party? :wink2:

Seriously--nice to see opinions coming together on some points even if the differences are the most interesting and informative.

Last edited:
Wow! Three B & B members agreeing on the same thing. In this thread no less! Should we get together for a party? :thumbup1:

Seriously--nice to see opinions coming together.

I believe they all agreed on how well the steep angle works, even before this thread.
Still ... good to see people discussing the matter in a civil manner, and agreeing is the bonus.

Not all R41 users are on board, yet, and may be still using the classic style of shaving, like me. I am still on the fence myself whether I will switch over. That said, I think this thread is an excellent way to find support. BTW, today's shave was the worst ever--a virtual bloodbath.

I was in a rush this morning, so I did a one-pass shave with the 2011 R41 (steep-angle), and the result was impressive (easily DFS).

Not all R41 users are on board, yet, and may be still using the classic style of shaving, like me. I am still on the fence myself whether I will switch over. That said, I think this thread is an excellent way to find support. BTW, today's shave was the worst ever--a virtual bloodbath.

Yeah, this is sort of where I'm at as well. I tried a steep angle a couple of years ago at the recommendation of someone on the BOTOC thread, and it was fairly rough. It got the job done, but just wasn't terribly pleasant. I've since been able to improve that considerably - giving pretty nice shaves with sufficient prep. For me, the balance is really toward the shallow side, though. It's just as fast and just as gentle on the skin as the steep method, but less sensitive to prep, and just overall more enjoyable for me. It's a tool I might find a need for at some point, but my normal shaves will certainly be shallow angle, as it's just a universal method.

Yeah, this is sort of where I'm at as well. I tried a steep angle a couple of years ago at the recommendation of someone on the BOTOC thread, and it was fairly rough. It got the job done, but just wasn't terribly pleasant. I've since been able to improve that considerably - giving pretty nice shaves with sufficient prep. For me, the balance is really toward the shallow side, though. It's just as fast and just as gentle on the skin as the steep method, but less sensitive to prep, and just overall more enjoyable for me. It's a tool I might find a need for at some point, but my normal shaves will certainly be shallow angle, as it's just a universal method.

You mastered both techniques and are preferring one over the other by choice. :thumbup: This thread is not about getting converts. It's about helping people get over the initial hurdles so they can gravitate to one or the other by choice. Matching a steep angled shave' speed and gentleness on the skin with a shallow angle is no small feat. For me, learning steep angled shaving reset the bar of what's possible and helped me revisit razors and work harder to break their code. I have advanced my shallow angle shaving with many razors including the R41, but nowhere near to your level.

For those of you using the steep angle. Are you using it for your ATG pass as well. Or are you using more of a shallow angle?

5 minutes? Maybe ten? :lol: :lol:

(But it's ok because we all love your posts, #6!!)

No. 6 is already well past 30 minutes. Congratulations!:biggrin1:

In all seriousness, I have been a faithful lurker on this thread since it started. Have I been converted to the steep angle? Not yet, but I have learned a lot from reading the posts in this thread. Speaking only for myself, I am grateful to No. 6, Edgar, Badger Bill, Avincenty, Codfish, and the other R41 gurus who have been posting here. There is a wealth of information here that will provide me with R41 shave experiments for quite some time.
Keep it up!

^+1 Like the Good Dr, I am appreciative of the R41 lovers who have shared their experience. Saved me a lot of time and bloodletting!:laugh: Especially you #6!!!

You would only shave with that razor using a very shallow angle, which is the opposite this thread is about ... Just sayin' ... :lol:
Unless you only use the right side of it ...

But I'll give you an A for the effort! :thumbup:

For those of you using the steep angle. Are you using it for your ATG pass as well. Or are you using more of a shallow angle?

Yep, steep angle for all passes. BUT, I'd like to highlight the fact that if you are using the 2011 R41, an ATG pass shouldn't be necessary. Just WTG, XTG, and "maybe" small touchup. And trust me… I have as thick a beard as anyone out there. (This is the really amazing thing about the 2011, to me).
With 2013, it's the full 3 passes. And, with both razors, all angles are steep. For me, that is. :001_smile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom