What's new

Glock Perfection: Even More Perfect? We Shall See.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Contrasts & Comparisons:

Let’s put the Shadow Systems MR920 up against the Glock 19 Gen4 and see how they stack up next to each other.

IMG_1644.jpeg

While the SS MR920 is the alter ego of the Glock 19 Gen4, the ‘MR’ designation in its name stands for ‘Multi Role’

Which is exactly what a G19 is and does. Big enough for a service duty pistol, big enough for home defense, but yet, still small enough to conceal carry. A do everything well kinda pistol.

While SS designed the MR920 after the Gen4, it stepped out of the box and did a few things differently which incorporated the best of Gen3 technology into the Gen4 design.

For starters, Gen3’s had a darker, harder and smoother finish than the Gen4 has. My Gen4 9mm shows all kinds of thinning on the slides finish from holster wear and use. But I carried my Gen3 23 in .40 a lot longer with more training hours, rounds down range, and actual real life working on duty on a day to day basis and it’s finish is almost still in immaculate condition.

Another Gen3 idea SS incorporated was instead of the smaller and shorter dual captive recoil rod and spring of the Gen4 they have designed it to use the full length guide rod and recoil spring of the Gen3. But instead of Glock’s Gen3 polymer guide rod, SS uses a carbon steel guide rod.

While the shorter Gen4 shorter captive rod & spring works fine, the full length guide rod and spring tends to stabilize muzzle rise a bit better than the shorter captive rod and spring. This is why Gen4’s seem to have a more pronounced muzzle flip than Gen3’s of the same models.

So the SS MR920 with it’s 1911 grip angle and Full length guide rod, muzzle control and accuracy during rapid fire should prove pretty interesting and comparable to a 1911 doing the same thing.

I’m very interested to see what the Shadow Systems is capable of. :)

If you look at the above photo, you can see some of the other finer upgrade details of the Shadow Systems other than the excellent finish. The rear and front cocking serration are set inside seperate pockets that creates a small ledge around the serrations. This design really helps in getting a good grip when charging the chamber or doing a loaded chamber press check. You can also see the excellent stippling or grip texture on the grip, including the small texture for the forward support thumb which is also set in a pocket with a ledge this ledge allows the support thumb to really lock down on the frame for great support during firing and recoil.

In the picture, you can get a good view of the extended beaver tail which along with the great undercut on the trigger guard allows the shooter to get a good high grip on the frame and protect meaty hands from slide bite.

Here is a few pics of a top view of the tapered slide and edges which help holstering the pistol and gives it a sleeker look.

IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

Here is a pic of the bottom side of the slide. Notice the full length carbon steel guide rod, notice where the firing pin safety plunger is moved just ever so slightly forward compared to the Gen4. This allows the mounting screws for the red dot optic to be much longer than Glocks OEM screws are. These longer screws go in almost the full width of the sides of the slide for a stronger and better secured optic mount. That optic ain’t going anywhere.

IMG_1646.jpeg

If you look closely at the two frames, notice how the slide rails, block and cruciform, looks a bit larger and beefier than the Glock OEM parts in its frame. Even the trigger bar looks thicker.

When Shadow Systems first designed the MR920 a few years ago, they designed the trigger guard a bit differently than the Glock Gen4’s trigger guard, so those first SS MR 920 owners, couldn’t use any of their Glock 19 holsters. Now SS has recently redesigned the trigger guard so that their pistols are now compatible with all Glock 19 holsters. :). Which is great that I don’t have to go purchase anything new as long as the optic can sit above the holster.

I have some doctors visits and medical procedures to be preformed over the next couple of weeks, so it will be a couple to few weeks before I can get to the range. But once I can, I’m not only going to put it thru it’s paces shooting it against the G19 Gen4, but I’m also going to push a thousand rounds thru it right from the get go. Shadow Systems owners manual, suggests a 200 round break in period because of their tighter tolerances. They said to not freak out over a FTF or stoppage within that break in period. But after that initial 200 rounds I’ll do a quick field strip and quick cleaning at the range and then it’s off to the races in round count.

:)

Last edited:
Wowee...Some high tech stuff going on here. This could be more fun than sorting out reviews and evaluations of the new iPhones😉.
As time goes on, I find myself reverting more to the old school way of thought.
IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_5199.jpeg
IMG_8037.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have some doctors visits and medical procedures to be preformed over the next couple of weeks, so it will be a couple to few weeks before I can get to the range.
Send it to me. I’ll try it out for you. Honestly, I want one now because of your review. SS seems to have solved all the issues I had with Glocks.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Send it to me. I’ll tty it out for you. Honestly, I want one now because of your review. SS seems to have solved all the issues I had with Glocks.

You wouldn’t believe how good the feel and natural point ability of the muzzle the grip actually gives. Absolutely fantastic imo.

Instead of sending 3 exact similar shapes of interchangeable back straps like Glock does that has a small, medium and large and just changes the LOP for different hands sizes, Shadow Systems also sends 3 different sizes of backstraps, but they do something completely unique. The 3 backstrap’s they send are not all the same shape and design like Glocks are.

So instead of just making 3 different backstraps like Glock which fills different sized hands but doesn’t change the grip angle or where the muzzle points?

Shadow Systems has what they call; NPOA or, ‘natural point of aim system’ which changes the muzzle elevation which then changes the perceived point of aim for the shooter.

They have 3 different sizes of interchangeable backstraps just like Glock. But all 3 of theirs are shaped differently from one another instead of shaped the same like Glock.

Their largest backstrap which is called an “H” back strap points the muzzle high and gives it and the shooter the exact same point of aim as any OEM Glock.

Then they have a medium back strap which is called a “N” or “Neutral”. It’s shape gives the shooter a point of aim and feel of an M&P style grip.

The smallest back strap which I love, is called the “L” or Low, it’s point of muzzle aim gives you the classic 1911 feel and aim. I was playing around with snap caps and one of my G19 holsters. Man! Drawing and bringing the pistol up quickly to a reference point on the wall?

Fantastic! I felt like I was holding my Springfield 1911! I can see where I might not have to fish around looking for a non existent red dot because it’s hiding in the hood of the optic. If this does what I think it will do when I mount the optic? The dot is just going to be there for me when I draw and point. I can’t wait to get my Holosun in. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

didn't say that : The small version has proprietary mag (12rds) that had issues! JL praised it despite jamming.

I don’t doubt what your are saying bro, but could you please send me the link so I can see it for myself? I would really appreciate it?

OkieStubble

Scary, I literally just stuck a Holosun 407C greenie on my 19 yesterday. I'm old skool & didn't want a suppressor height front blade wagging out there, so I used the Dueck Defense mount, with BUIS, and put the new TLR1 1K lumen light on.

Need to get to the range, but I like the feel &presentation in dryfire!😎

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Rob72, do give us an eval on your Dueck Defense mount after you have a chance putting it through it's paces. I tried mounting an RMR to my Glock 19 and ended up removing it and going back to iron sights because it took too long to find the dot with Glock's 22 degree grip angle.

OkieStubble

@Rob72, do give us an eval on your Dueck Defense mount after you have a chance putting it through it's paces. I tried mounting an RMR to my Glock 19 and ended up removing it and going back to iron sights because it took too long to find the dot with Glock's 22 degree grip angle.

I have been playing around with a Glock 45 and practicing finding the red dot. I have noticed if The front muzzle is brought up in a downward pointing position during presentation, it allows for easier and more consistent acquisition of the dot, but once the dot is acquired, one then has to adjust the muzzle and align it with the target.

Too much time consuming trouble imo. And I’m not a guy that’s used to saying anything negative about a Glock. :)

I never once thought the Glock grip angle was a big deal like many others do, until I wanted to use it with an RDS.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Scary, I literally just stuck a Holosun 407C greenie on my 19 yesterday. I'm old skool & didn't want a suppressor height front blade wagging out there, so I used the Dueck Defense mount, with BUIS, and put the new TLR1 1K lumen light on.

Need to get to the range, but I like the feel &presentation in dryfire!😎

We have a lot of similarities and commonalities in our tastes and experiences when it comes to firearms my friend, because I can really relate to many of the likes and dislikes in your posts.

This can’t be a coincidence considering the fact that we both are named Rob and are extremely good looking?

:)

While one does need suppressor height sights of running a suppressor in order to see over the suppressor, if the RDS is sitting on a mounting plate or is just too tall to see thru the window with regular sights?

I have found, that mid height sights work fine for the taller RDS’s. They are taller than regular sights, but not as tall as suppressor height sights. Shadow Systems pistol models that don’t come with the threaded barrels, automatically have these mid height sights, whereas their Elite and Combat models that have threaded barrels have the taller suppressor sights already added.

I just purchased a Holosun SCS320 for my SS MR 920.
While the SCS320 is specifically made by Holosun for the Sig P320, its mounting footprint is a Leupold Pro footprint. Shadow Systems has a patent pending optics system which is designed to accept all brands of optics with varying footprints without different mounting plates.

They instead, use different spacers that go behind the optic between the optic and the rear iron sight. This design allows most name brand optics to be mounted low; directly to the slide without mounting plates.

So their rear spacers allow for an RMR, Leupold and Holosun mounting footprints. I’m sure there are others allowed I just can’t think of them.

The SCS320 is a ‘self charging system’ and instead of an open sight it is a closed sight where the emitter/ diode is sealed inside which will be impervious to fog or temps and protected from rain, snow, dirt or damage. It sits higher than many other low sitting dots, but the mid height sights from SS will work great in co-witnessing.

Here is a YouTube vid of a guy with one on his SS Elite. I think it looks pretty good also!

Last edited:
We had the Big SAR GunShow in PHX this weekend, did not go, but alway someone selling the next latest, greatest upgrade for Glock, or?

Went to show lady year, it is like many thing heading in wrong g direction, admission up, parking up, vendor tables prices up.

The SAR part Small Arm Review was not good, the show was not good, so I did not go this year.

Tend to like my Glock bare bones stock, carried in simple Milt Sparks GunLeather.

OkieStubble

Tend to like my Glock bare bones stock, carried in simple Milt Sparks GunLeather.

I’m exactly the same. But after having 8 different Models and calibers of bare bone Glocks in the gun safe, it was time for this Glock fan boy to do something different…. :)

We had the Big SAR GunShow in PHX this weekend, did not go, but alway someone selling the next latest, greatest upgrade for Glock, or?

Went to show lady year, it is like many thing heading in wrong g direction, admission up, parking up, vendor tables prices up.

The SAR part Small Arm Review was not good, the show was not good, so I did not go this year.

"Its one'a them things.." I held out on the dots & light for well over a decade. I had tried a dot with one of the really early Docter dots. I liked it, but it was still too fragile and early in the tech for me to jump on & stay on the bandwagon.

Obviously, I would love the real deal dual illumination green dot Trijicon RMR, but running 2-3 setups at that price is exhorbitant, and I'm not agency-empowered. People I know & respect have many cases of 9mm rounds under Holosun 507 optics, so I'm willing to take a measured jump at this point.

OkieStubble

"Its one'a them things.." I held out on the dots & light for well over a decade. I had tried a dot with one of the really early Docter dots. I liked it, but it was still too fragile and early in the tech for me to jump on & stay on the bandwagon.

Obviously, I would love the real deal dual illumination green dot Trijicon RMR, but running 2-3 setups at that price is exhorbitant, and I'm not agency-empowered. People I know & respect have many cases of 9mm rounds under Holosun 507 optics, so I'm willing to take a measured jump at this point.

Have you seen the new dot from Trijicon? :)

The RMR HD is pretty cool. It’s probably going to be the perfect pistol optic. If the RMR and the SRO got married and had a baby? It would be the RMR HD.

The pros of the original RMR’s are their strength and durability and sleek low profile design. It’s cons? Too small of a window and that ugly hue of blue colored glass they make you look thru.

SRO’s pro’s, nice big round window too look thru. It’s cons? Not as rugged as the RMR and it’s overly large bulbous, ugly shape and profile looking like Jimmy Durante or Karl Malden’s nose.

The HD takes the pros from both and combines them into one optic without any of the negatives from either.

I still can’t afford one. :)

Have you seen the new dot from Trijicon? :)

The RMR HD is pretty cool. It’s probably going to be the perfect pistol optic. If the RMR and the SRO got married and had a baby? It would be the RMR HD.

The pros of the original RMR’s are their strength and durability and sleek low profile design. It’s cons? Too small of a window and that ugly hue of blue colored glass they make you look thru.

SRO’s pro’s, nice big round window too look thru. It’s cons? Not as rugged as the RMR and it’s overly large bulbous, ugly shape and profile looking like Jimmy Durante or Karl Malden’s nose.

The HD takes the pros from both and combines them into one optic without any of the negatives from either.

I still can’t afford one. :)
$$ Same here! Of course, I was looking at the lower, forward set, profile and wondering about the logistics of swiping a stovepipe out of the way. I know I can with the 407c... Probably geezer overthinking!😁

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I have been playing around with a Glock 45 and practicing finding the red dot. I have noticed if The front muzzle is brought up in a downward pointing position during presentation, it allows for easier and more consistent acquisition of the dot, but once the dot is acquired, one then has to adjust the muzzle and align it with the target.

Too much time consuming trouble imo. And I’m not a guy that’s used to saying anything negative about a Glock. :)

I never once thought the Glock grip angle was a big deal like many others do, until I wanted to use it with an RDS.
And this right here is why I don't do Glocks, Rob. I honestly don't hate them... Really! I DO hate that when I drive them out they are pointing up hill whether irons or dots.

Top Bottom