What's new

Global Shave Club....Beware....

Some of the YouTube videos are little more than advertisements.

Others, though, are pretty decent product reviews where the author is willing to call it as he sees it. Jason Rudman of Ruds Shaves is one of the latter. His shave scores for soap reviews go from a high of 100 to a low of 68. Unfortunately, there are many traditional products like TOBS creams, Mitchells Wool Fat, Tabac, Proraso, etc. that are not included on the list.

I have personally evaluated many of the soaps on Ruds' list and can confirm that there are significant differences between the highly ranked products and the lower ranked ones. In narrow ranges of the list, the differences are often subtle.

Another Global Shave Club razor being shoved down our throats by the You Tubers. PaulHFilms tweeted his setup for Sunday and I replied that I was getting tired of all the GSC items and the channel was becoming a GSC commercial.

He responded that all the shaves are commercials for something or another and maybe I shouldn't watch. And I have stopped watching any video from anyone with GSC included.

I think I am pretty much done with the You Tubers, If this is the attitude they take. And I really think they have to be on the payroll from GSC to be that defensive and insistent about showing their knock off products.

Another Global Shave Club razor being shoved down our throats by the You Tubers. PaulHFilms tweeted his setup for Sunday and I replied that I was getting tired of all the GSC items and the channel was becoming a GSC commercial.

He responded that all the shaves are commercials for something or another and maybe I shouldn't watch. And I have stopped watching any video from anyone with GSC included.

I think I am pretty much done with the You Tubers, If this is the attitude they take. And I really think they have to be on the payroll from GSC to be that defensive and insistent about showing their knock off products.

I 100% agree, I started to watch the ICE Swarovski Razor (very tacky one!) and when he mentioned that the base and handle were 24 kt gold plated SS I closed the video... You really can´t say that and get away impoluted...

I'll never buy any of their stuff; ever.....

Once you see people doing the YT advertising....then you wonder: do they actually do any REAL reviews... but no one is forcing any of us to watch those vids.... Might be good entertainment...just use your judgment how you spend your $$$

Reading this thread... it's unfortunate that some company is taking money and not sending products, but I must admit to being baffled that someone is making a business of selling replica Techs for $30 which is much more than the real thing. Here's the first one that came up searching for "vintage Gillette tech" Its just over $10 after shipping. It has some pitting but looks straight. Mint condition ones seem around $16-20.

Rare early Gillettes can be expensive, but there are scads of great old Gillette razors out there and most of them cost considerably less than $30. You could probably get a tech as part of a lot including 4 or 5 other old razors for $30. Man, you haven't lived till you've bought a "lot" of old razors ;-) that's fun stuff. It's how people wind up with the truly weird razors. Just even looking for a Tech, I had to channel my willpower and close the browser because I found a $29 lot with a few EverReady single edges and an art-deco Bakelite Injector and a long-handled metal-bottom black beauty (those long-handled metal bottomed Black Beauties are nice razors)

Get thee to Ebay my friend. For $30 you could get a handful of real vintage razors in shaving condition.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 31
Reading this thread... it's unfortunate that some company is taking money and not sending products, but I must admit to being baffled that someone is making a business of selling replica Techs for $30 which is much more than the real thing...
Their business is selling to people who love the idea of vintage but want don't want to shave with some "icky" dead person's razor. The customers want something new, retro-cool that they can order over the internet.

So, the company buys some cheaply made Chinese razors for $3-4 and sells them for $30-50. A nice 1000% markup can be quite lucrative for the business owner.

This is why America lost much of its manufacturing base. Companies manufacture offshore for cheap, sell in America for whatever the market will bear. There is a complete disconnect between the cost of manufacturing and the price the customer pays. The "leverage" or "arbitrage" profits go straight into the owner's pockets.

I think the razors are made in India. I assume made by Pearl Shaving but that’s my guess.

You would be correct.
There are many pearl models that are the exact same as some GSC razors.

I wish GSC razors were Chinese made as I've had much better experiences with Chinese razors than Indian razors!

You would be correct.

I wish GSC razors were Chinese made as I've had much better experiences with Chinese razors than Indian razors!

I Would assume the Fat Boy/Fat Guy Model will me made in India.

let’s see if it will even have the unusual Fatboy head design.

Reactions: nav
I actually know that most of Global Shaves razors are made in India. What they lack in customer service they make up for with many unique razors that you cannot find elsewhere. My Ice razor has an ordered and use has a handle that is amazing. I know it is an original design.

Now let's talk about Sheldon. I have a disease that dries and cracks my hands, Sheldon sends me a post shave oil that works well for me. I am sent a vial once a month absolutely free of charge.

I also know that his wife got extremely injured in a homicide. I think she was shot. I think she is still recovering.

You would be correct.

I have some of their Java models. They are all Chinese.

I 100% agree, I started to watch the ICE Swarovski Razor (very tacky one!) and when he mentioned that the base and handle were 24 kt gold plated SS I closed the video... You really can´t say that and get away impoluted...
I own an Ice razor. It is 24 carat gold plate. Nobody would ever assume that a $30 razor is completely made out of 24 carat gold.

Paul is correct. He has the right to review whatever he wants. I have also seen him pan a GSCI razor as well.

This thread is another indication of why I don't trust many of the individuals on youtube. All too often individuals will believe everything on youtube thinking the reviews are unbiased and objective. However, some individuals receive compensation in the form of corporate sponsorship in addition to advertising revenue and unboxing of merchandise.

This thread is another indication of why I don't trust many of the individuals on youtube. All too often individuals will believe everything on youtube thinking the reviews are unbiased and objective. However, some individuals receive compensation in the form of corporate sponsorship in addition to advertising revenue and unboxing of merchandise.

I agree with you. Kind of a zealotistic way of posting and arguing, that´s why I just ignored him...

Cheers

I have seen Kevy also criticise the Steam razor. He was very hard on them for their Swarovski model. Ken has critiqued their stuff. One thing though every Global Shave video I have ever seen loved the shave. I have an Ice, Repli Tech (just a great razor...) and a Frost. Each razor seems well made. I have dropped my Ice twice without incident.

I think YouTubers have their place. Sometimes I need a commercial to know what to purchase.

Btw, their site has tons of 5 star reviews.

When viewing anything on YouTube (or reading anything on the Internet for that matter), you always need to consider the source and pay close attention to the specific words used. Rarely do you see reviewers lie outright, but sometimes they use words that hint at their dissatisfaction with certain products without coming right out and saying it.

I am always reluctant to watch the West Coast Shaving daily shave videos as I know they are primarily advertising products sold by WCS rather than evaluating products based on merit. You do not see many negative comments about products.

On March 1, Michael Freedberg announced that he would discontinue making shaving videos. Many of the products he r4eviewed were either donated or loaned to him for review through the generosity of viewers. Though his videos were more demonstrations and reviews rather than evaluations, he did tend to tell it like he saw it.

I have watched a few videos produced by Brad Maggard of Maggard Razors. Although he sells a wide variety of products, in one video review of Fatip razors, he rated the fit and finish of the razor as 2/10. Thus, he is not afraid to tell you what he thinks about the products he sells. Overall, he gave the razor a rating of 7/10.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When viewing anything on YouTube (or reading anything on the Internet for that matter), you always need to consider the source and pay close attention to the specific words used. Rarely do you see reviewers lie outright, but sometimes they use words that hint at their dissatisfaction with certain products without coming right out and saying it.

I am always reluctant to watch the West Coast Shaving daily shave videos as I know they are primarily advertising products sold by WCS rather than evaluating products based on merit. You do not see many negative comments about products.

On March 1, Michael Freedberg announced that he would discontinue making shaving videos. Many of the products he r4eviewed were either donated or loaned to him for review through the generosity of viewers. Though his videos were more demonstrations and reviews rather than evaluations, he did tend to tell it like he saw it.

I have watched a few videos produced by Brad Maggard of Maggard Razors. Although he sells a wide variety of products, in one video review of Fatip razors, he rated the fit and finish of the razor as 2/10. Thus, he is not afraid to tell you what he thinks about the products he sells. Overall, he gave the razor a rating of 7/10.
There is only one way that I know of to evaluate a particular shaving product - buy it and try it. :)

My individual preferences in shaving are mine alone. ;)

Top Bottom