What's new

Gillette's latest and greatest expensive gimmick

Gillette is in desperation mode right now and taking shots in the dark. Their 8 billion dollar lost was due to boycotts from their woke ad, the popularity of beards and competition from Harry's, Dollar Shave Club and Edgewell. At this point they are willing to try anything from rebranding DEs and crazy heated razors.

In other news, John Varvatos filed for bankruptcy this week. We quickly learn from the article that the source of his troubles was:

Varvatos’s company started hitting some off-key notes in 2015 when managers put in place “cost-cutting measures that involved altering the brand’s clothing to attract customers in the mass market, which didn’t resonate with the brand’s existing customers,” Zorda said in a filing.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot? - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-06/rock-star-outfitter-john-varvatos-s-firm-files-for-bankruptcy

Then, when the virus hit they had no reserves to fall back on.

Basically, someone said that "I have an Excel model, and given that the market is *this* big, we should be able to..." We have heard it before. I see a bit of the same thing with Gillette. "We need to grow our market share in *these* segments, and in order to do that we need to...." And then they alienated the customers they already had without making much headway in the new segments.

Playing politics is never a good idea for a business. Most Celebrities who are thriving in business go to great lengths to keep their political views to themselves. Michael Jordan and Dolly Parton are two that come to mind. Was as the band "The Dixie Chicks destroyed their careers by getting political. Gillette could have expanded to the alternative groups without alienating there base with the Woke ads . This razor is a perfect example of their stupidity. There is not enough rich people to keep a razor like this selling enough to make money on it for the most part your market in this price is the middle class men . That have their children raised getting close to having their house paid for. And can finally spend some money on themselves . At least here in the U.S. these people tend to be more conservative. I personally won't even look at a Gillette product. Make a decent product and stay out of politics if you want my business. I tried cartridge razors when the first came out , wasn't impressed. I would have to see a public apology for demonizing the people who got them where they are. And build a decent safety razor in the U.S. to ever consider buying another Gillette product.

Playing politics is never a good idea for a business. Most Celebrities who are thriving in business go to great lengths to keep their political views to themselves. Michael Jordan and Dolly Parton are two that come to mind. Was as the band "The Dixie Chicks destroyed their careers by getting political. Gillette could have expanded to the alternative groups without alienating there base with the Woke ads . This razor is a perfect example of their stupidity. There is not enough rich people to keep a razor like this selling enough to make money on it for the most part your market in this price is the middle class men . That have their children raised getting close to having their house paid for. And can finally spend some money on themselves . At least here in the U.S. these people tend to be more conservative. I personally won't even look at a Gillette product. Make a decent product and stay out of politics if you want my business. I tried cartridge razors when the first came out , wasn't impressed. I would have to see a public apology for demonizing the people who got them where they are. And build a decent safety razor in the U.S. to ever consider buying another Gillette product.
I didn’t find their controversial ad “woke” or controversial. I think they underestimated how sensitive their customer base is for sure. I also didn’t see them endorsing any particular political stance or party. Bettering yourself and treat others with respect is kinda universal.

I didn’t find their controversial ad “woke” or controversial. I think they underestimated how sensitive their customer base is for sure. I also didn’t see them endorsing any particular political stance or party. Bettering yourself and treat others with respect is kinda universal.

+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Dont forget the batteries that some of those new razors need to work properly. Gillette does own Duracell...

I'll keep using Derby Extra in my Grande for the princely sum of $0.12 each or splurge and use a Feather for $0.32! :001_tongu

The ad says masculinity is a bad thing. Then list a bunch of things that a small minority of Males claiming to be men do . That true MEN put a stop to. And I falls right in with the liberal playbook .

Although P&G blames it on currency fluctuations Gillette lost around 8 billion dollars since they ran the series

I know this is an international forum . I come from Appalachia and the Midwest U.S. When I was a young man late high school up until I got married (late 70's to mid 80's) I ran with a rough crowd . Bullying and sexual harassment of women wasn't an issue in our circles. As we took care of it . When there was a good chance of getting your *** kicked if you picked on someone not able to defend yourself or put your hands on a lady uninvited. People tend to behave themselves.

The ad says masculinity is a bad thing. Then list a bunch of things that a small minority of Males claiming to be men do . That true MEN put a stop to. And I falls right in with the liberal playbook .

Although P&G blames it on currency fluctuations Gillette lost around 8 billion dollars since they ran the series
Meh, what alternatives do the masses of men who shave really have? I doubt their ads hurt them much at all in the long run as there are few alternatives. Go to your local store in the U.S. and you are offered almost nothing but Gillette products. Sure, you can find a schick and barbasol brands and a few others on the bottom shelf but your only choice really is Gillette. I’d stepped away from exploring new DE blades for a number of years and was shocked to see P&G Gillette has gotten into the DE blade game in a much bigger way. 10 years ago there were almost no Gillette DE blades and certainly no DE razors, even rebranded ones. Now, it appears they are moving more into the DE market to bring us more over their overhyped, over priced crap I’m afraid.

In other news, John Varvatos filed for bankruptcy this week. We quickly learn from the article that the source of his troubles was:

Varvatos’s company started hitting some off-key notes in 2015 when managers put in place “cost-cutting measures that involved altering the brand’s clothing to attract customers in the mass market, which didn’t resonate with the brand’s existing customers,” Zorda said in a filing.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot? - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-06/rock-star-outfitter-john-varvatos-s-firm-files-for-bankruptcy

Then, when the virus hit they had no reserves to fall back on.

Basically, someone said that "I have an Excel model, and given that the market is *this* big, we should be able to..." We have heard it before. I see a bit of the same thing with Gillette. "We need to grow our market share in *these* segments, and in order to do that we need to...." And then they alienated the customers they already had without making much headway in the new segments.

wow I wonder if we can turn CBGBs back into a proper venue now ? ( wishful thinking I know :( )

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'll keep using Derby Extra in my Grande for the princely sum of $0.12 each or splurge and use a Feather for $0.32!

The 200 packs sell for $9.30USD shipped at some river-themed bookseller.

Meh, what alternatives do the masses of men who shave really have?

Store brand!

Before their preachy ads, their stratospheric prices were upsetting. Personna has cartridges and disposables at a bunch of big box places like Aldi’s, Amazon, and Walmart and Dorco makes the OEM at my local grocer’s. And even when buying the Gillette name, there’s the highly affordable twin blade disposables.

Meh, what alternatives do the masses of men who shave really have? I doubt their ads hurt them much at all in the long run as there are few alternatives. Go to your local store in the U.S. and you are offered almost nothing but Gillette products. Sure, you can find a schick and barbasol brands and a few others on the bottom shelf but your only choice really is Gillette. I’d stepped away from exploring new DE blades for a number of years and was shocked to see P&G Gillette has gotten into the DE blade game in a much bigger way. 10 years ago there were almost no Gillette DE blades and certainly no DE razors, even rebranded ones. Now, it appears they are moving more into the DE market to bring us more over their overhyped, over priced crap I’m afraid.
I have enough vintage razors to get me through the rest of my life . There is enough non P&G products to keep me shaving.

The ad does not say masculinity is a bad thing. It just doesn’t.

Top Bottom