What's new

Gillette SS Cases

Hey guys, in an earlier thread I posted that I had bought a '49 SS on the bay. However after talking to the seller, I was disappointed to find out that he does not have the case for it. After looking at a couple of collections and other threads, I'm seriously disappointed, since displaying IS half the fun and all. So I was wondering, where can I buy cases for my razor(s). I'd much rather have one from at least the year, or close to the year that the razor was made. But anything will do really. I tried searching and couldn't find much. So sorry if this has been covered before.

Cheers,
borunda

If you can't find a SS case, Merkur makes a plastic case that will fit the HD, SS and Fat Boy. Bullgooseshaving.net carries them for $7. Not original, but still a nice case.

'49 was I think the first year for a SS to come in a case (or was it still a paper box? I think the boxes ended in '48). So that'd be the red styrene case with a clear lid (very cool looking case IMO, and I've only snagged one so far). They do come up on eBay occasionally without a razor, but not that often from what I recall, and IMO they usually bring to dear a price (especially in good shape). You may be better off to find one with a razor.

BTW, how do you date the SS as a '49? Unless you've got a blade set that came with it, that should be an undated notched Super Speed ('48-50).

'49 was I think the first year for a SS to come in a case (or was it still a paper box? I think the boxes ended in '48). So that'd be the red styrene case with a clear lid (very cool looking case IMO, and I've only snagged one so far). They do come up on eBay occasionally without a razor, but not that often from what I recall, and IMO they usually bring to dear a price (especially in good shape). You may be better off to find one with a razor.

BTW, how do you date the SS as a '49? Unless you've got a blade set that came with it, that should be an undated notched Super Speed ('48-50).

This is correct. The 1948, 1949 and 1950 Super Speeds were identical with none bearing a date code (except for the 1950 V-3 date code prototype). The 1948 came in a cardboard box.

proxy.php

The 1949 and 1950 Super Speeds came in the red styrene case.

proxy.php

Hey guys, in an earlier thread I posted that I had bought a '49 SS on the bay. However after talking to the seller, I was disappointed to find out that he does not have the case for it. After looking at a couple of collections and other threads, I'm seriously disappointed, since displaying IS half the fun and all. So I was wondering, where can I buy cases for my razor(s). I'd much rather have one from at least the year, or close to the year that the razor was made. But anything will do really. I tried searching and couldn't find much. So sorry if this has been covered before.

Cheers,
borunda

My Super Speed collection includes every year razor from 1947 to 1960, including what I believe to be the correct cases. It took me maybe 4 or 5 months to get the right cases including the '47 and '48 cardboard cases. In many instances i had to buy ugly razors in order to get the right case. You might have to do the same. By the way the '49 and '50 red case that Mr Guido showed is one of the most common so you should have no problem finding it. But don't expect to find a case only supplier. Ebay sellers will fill any razor case they find with something, correct or not.

Len

I would like to have a case for mine, but so far the pickings are very slim in this area for Gillette razors (although I have found my small share). I have yet to see any, other than GEMs and Schick Injectors in cases. And I have no interest in those, only Gillettes.

I would like to have a case for mine, but so far the pickings are very slim in this area for Gillette razors (although I have found my small share). I have yet to see any, other than GEMs and Schick Injectors in cases. And I have no interest in those, only Gillettes.

You're right. The pickings are pretty slim. I only found one. Six months ago I would have found 3 or 4 at least.

Len

Top Bottom