What's new

Gillette Rubie

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've been using this blade in my Razorock DE1. It felt like the wasn't a blade in the razor so I put it in my Merkur slant and got the same thing. I'm getting nice smooth shaves with this blade though.

I've been working my way through a tuck of Rubies and I'm on the last blade now. They're sharp but don't seem as smooth as 7 o'clock yellows or Polsilvers to me. Not bad blades at all though.

They are Gillette's "flagship" blade IMO. I have never used a better blade and a mere handful (all Gillette ironically) even close to being equal. Remember, smoothness IS sharpness. Don't let your senses fool you. This is the Koenigsegg of modern DE blades. :thumbsup:

Have been using Super Iridiums, but tested some other blades recently, including revisiting Rubies. Just ordered 100 Rubies. I find them very sharp, smooth and cleaning shaving in both my EJ89 and SuperSpeed. In my view, they slightly beat out the Iridiums, and are definitely better than the GSB and Nacet.

I really like them too. They are definitely in the top 3 for me. The only issue I had with them was that the price seems to vary extremely. I got them on a German site (can't recall which) for $20.00. Other places had them for like $35.00.

Every blade has its haters and blades don't work the same for everyone. But I think this has got to be a winner for a ton of people. It's a shame they aren't as easy to get ahold of as crappier blades.

I really like them too. They are definitely in the top 3 for me. The only issue I had with them was that the price seems to vary extremely. I got them on a German site (can't recall which) for $20.00. Other places had them for like $35.00.

Every blade has its haters and blades don't work the same for everyone. But I think this has got to be a winner for a ton of people. It's a shame they aren't as easy to get ahold of as crappier blades.

Yes, the best price I ever got was $19.00 for 100 shipped from Russia three or four years ago. I bought 200 as they were/are so damn good. They are far cheaper in Russia I see, but still the most expensive blade sold in country. That says something as well. ;)

Interesting. Blades are definitely a YMMV thing.

I recently obtained a couple of tucks of Rubies for testing. I tried them in a DE89 razor. For comparison, I used an Astra SP blade in an identical razor for the opposite side of my face. Both blades tugged at my facial hair and felt rough on my skin. The second shave was slightly better for both blades, but neither Rubies or Astra SP give me a close, comfortable shave. On the other hand, Astra SS and Nacets work well for me. I am not a typical shaver in that I have a very coarse beard and very sensitive skin.

They are Gillette's "flagship" blade IMO. I have never used a better blade and a mere handful (all Gillette ironically) even close to being equal. Remember, smoothness IS sharpness. Don't let your senses fool you. This is the Koenigsegg of modern DE blades. :thumbsup:

How does the Rubie compare to this blade?
proxy.php

I've not used a Rubie, but this packet Gillette Platinum is one of my favourite blades - maybe the smoothest blade of all the 60 odd different blades I have used.

Just got 10 Rubie plus blades on eBay to try. Are they the same as the Platinum ones?
View attachment 990760

It is my understanding that the Gillette Platinum blades in the blue box are no longer being made, but I may be mistaken. I do have some in my den, however. I find the Gillette Platinum blades to be very similar to the Gillette Silver Blue blades. Some have suggested that the Platinum and GSB blades may be the same blade in an updated package. I find them both to be sharper than the Rubies I have tried, but YMMV.

How does the Rubie compare to this blade?
proxy.php

I've not used a Rubie, but this packet Gillette Platinum is one of my favourite blades - maybe the smoothest blade of all the 60 odd different blades I have used.
I did a comparison of two of two of the Gillette Platinum and two of the Rubies. One time with a EJ89L and one time with a Super Speed. Preferred the Rubie. Slightly smoother and sharper in my view.

Top Bottom