What's new

Gillette Rubie

It is my understanding that the Gillette Platinum blades in the blue box are no longer being made, but I may be mistaken. I do have some in my den, however. I find the Gillette Platinum blades to be very similar to the Gillette Silver Blue blades. Some have suggested that the Platinum and GSB blades may be the same blade in an updated package. I find them both to be sharper than the Rubies I have tried, but YMMV.

Maybe you are referring to these:
proxy.php

GSBs are Teflon coated, the Gillette Platinums are platinum coated.

It is my understanding that the Gillette Platinum blades in the blue box are no longer being made, but I may be mistaken. I do have some in my den, however. I find the Gillette Platinum blades to be very similar to the Gillette Silver Blue blades. Some have suggested that the Platinum and GSB blades may be the same blade in an updated package. I find them both to be sharper than the Rubies I have tried, but YMMV.

The blue-box Platinum blades pictured upthread are a new product and apparently will be the Gillette Platinum going forward for European markets. Right now it seems only one distributor in Bulgaria is selling them into the US market but over the next few years as older stock runs out maybe more of them will start offering these.

My face is not sensitive enough to find a difference between these, Silver Blue, and the older Platinum. They are all among my best blades, noticeably better than many non-PPI blades. Judging by the comments above I doubt I'd notice a Rubie would be so much better that I'd have to go out of my way to buy some. Bigger difference is the quality of the lather I happened to make that day and how long I'd gone without shaving.

Maybe you are referring to these:
proxy.php

GSBs are Teflon coated, the Gillette Platinums are platinum coated.

There have been people looking at these blades under the microscope and doing spectral analysis. Both Platinums and Silver Blues have platinum on the cutting edge and a teflon coating.

There have been people looking at these blades under the microscope and doing spectral analysis. Both Platinums and Silver Blues have platinum on the cutting edge and a teflon coating.

Good to know :thumbsup:
They feel completely different to my ugly face, if it isn't the coating it must be something else then :001_unsur.

...My face is not sensitive enough to find a difference between these, Silver Blue, and the older Platinum. They are all among my best blades, noticeably better than many non-PPI blades. Judging by the comments above I doubt I'd notice a Rubie would be so much better that I'd have to go out of my way to buy some. Bigger difference is the quality of the lather I happened to make that day and how long I'd gone without shaving.

If pushed to admit as much, I'd say it makes more economical sense to buy one of the other top tier Gillette blades at a far better price.

Good to know :thumbsup:
They feel completely different to my ugly face, if it isn't the coating it must be something else then :001_unsur.
I agree.

On my face, on the initial use a GSB feels like it has a coating over it, despite it being fairly sharp. I assumed it was the Teflon. However, others here have corrected my on this over time. I'm at a loss, but if it's not the coating, then there's something else at play going-on. GSB, on it's initial outing, feels like no other blade I have. But that initial characteristic quickly wears-off, changing after the initial shave and continuing to change over the next few subsequent shaves.

The GSB has been one of my top blades for a clean smooth shave.

The only blade that beat them was the Gillette 7 O'clock Black, which are currently $30 blades /100.

The Rubie's are very close to the Black's, as far as being a smooth case shave. And, they are about $10 less than the Black's.

I will need to compare these two blades more carefully.

Top Bottom