What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

I'll give a three thumbs up on a reassembly and a disassemble video! I've only found one disassemble video and it was pretty crude, I'd be afraid to use that guy's technique as it looks like it could destroy my razor and some of the comments say just that. Anyway, even if I never use the info I love knowing how things work which would explain why I'm a mechanic by trade.

*quick thread-related question*

I know there are instruction guides out there on how to take a Fatboy apart and put it back together. There's even a few videos on the disassembly but I've never seen a "reassembly" video. When a Fatboy goes back together the adjustments must be done correctly or else the razor won't perform as intended. Furthermore, damage can be done to the pieces if not handled correctly.

I'm thinking about doing an instructional video on the reassembly of a Gillette Fatboy, using my methods and techniques. What does everyone think? Would it be useful to the community? I thank you in advance for your suggestions and input:thumbup:

I got a question guys, while cleaning the razor....

1. Is it possible to use water that is too hot?

2. Is it possible to us bristles that are too hard?

3. Is it possible to brush the razor too hard? (will it take the original plating off?)

Thanks in advance!! You guys Rock!

3. Is it possible to brush the razor too hard? (will it take the original plating off?)

I would not use boiling water...hot tap water with soap, or some other mild cleaning solution works well enough for me. As for scrubbing the razor down, all you really need is a tooth brush. I've also used Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach added) with excellent results. If you check out the sub-forum of razors, you will find my post about a vintage 1964 Gillette Flare Tip that my Mom scored at a yard sale, and what it looked like after I cleaned it using the above method.

I got a question guys...

While I am assuming your questions pertain to your fatboy, I'll attempt to answer them best I can. I am not an expert, just a sailor with too many hobbies.

1. Yes, I think it is possible to use water that is too hot. When you use water that is boiling, I think you are putting the plating at risk. That base metal will heat up and it is very possible the plating could come off. In all of my cleanings/take-downs, I have never used boiling water. Hot water seems to clean very nicely, paired with a degreaser like dish soap. There are many threads on this topic that concur with my response.
2. I think as long as you don't use a metal britled brush, you'll be safe. I have heard of guys using brass bristled brushes to clean thier razors...but these were preety cruddy ones. I wouldn't recommend a brass brush on a razor that is in nice condition. If you stick with a stiff toothbrush or a stiff plastic bristled cleaning brush, I don't think you'll harm a thing...at least I haven't yet.
3. I kind of already touched on this question but I will reiterate. Using a plastic or synthetic brush should not damage the original plating, no matter how hard you brush. NOW, if there are spots where the plating is starting to come off, then it is quite possible to brush that area too hard and lift more plating off the damaged area..

Just use good judgement and take things slow. Remember..most of these vintage razors have some age on em....treat them as such. Good luck!

With nickel plating, I think you're pretty safe.

Gold plating is thin and is often also lacquer-coated so you need to be quite careful.

If you're using a brush, nylon bristles (e.g. a toothbrush) are best. Some also report success with brass bristle brushes although I've never used one.

I've found that even using steel wool on nickel plating is OK if done super gently. Be very careful though as it will take off plating if you go too hard. I definitely don't recommend this on anything other than user grade razors.

Last edited:
Aye aye captain! You have done a fine job! I really appreciate what you have done, thank you!

i used a toothbrush today on a tech. I'm not 100% sure but I think it left tiny scratches on the plating. Is that possible, or was
the scratches most likely already there just didn't notice it till now?

Aye aye captain! You have done a fine job! I really appreciate what you have done, thank you!

i used a toothbrush today on a tech. I'm not 100% sure but I think it left tiny scratches on the plating. Is that possible, or was
the scratches most likely already there just didn't notice it till now?

Probably the latter.

I'm a lurker and a FB fan. You are doing some awesome work! You are very kind and a fine example of the class found on this forum.

Top Bottom