What's new

Gillette 1907

Well i'm very excited by this one, it arrived today and it gives a very smooth shave. I had been quite impressed by my Merkur 34C until i discovered just how good these older Gillettes can be. Surpisingly it takes a modern razor blade with no problems.

Purchased off ebay, its serial makes it a 1907 single ring Gillette. I may get it replated as i did'nt buy it for decoration. I intend to use it as my go to razor.

TenorClef said:
I may get it replated as i did'nt buy it for decoration. I intend to use it as my go to razor.
proxy.php

Please Wait!!!

Remember, that razor is from only the 4th year Gillette produced safety razors. Awesome catch BTW. As you'll notice, I love these early Single (and Double :w00t:) Rings.

No need in replating that one, it will shine up beautifully! These were triple silver plated, and the only thing you're seeing with the black is tarnish (sulfur in the air mixing with some of the silver, turning it to silver sulfide). And it can be cleaned up easily and shine like new again.

I'll get the camera out this afternoon and take a few more pics to illustrate for you what I mean. And you've inspired me, I was just deciding what razor to shave with today. My 1907 Single Ring it is! BTW, you probably know the case is a current production after market thing. They're not cheap! I just bought one and it was something like $36?

I'll include a pic of my 1907 in the original case for you this afternoon (no pics of it yet, it's my latest arrival).

For now, here is a pic of a 1912 Single Ring I picked up in an antique mall. Below that is a pic of several Single Rings, the black one from the top pic is actually one of the shiny ones on the right (I'll post it by itself later for you to see).

proxy.php

proxy.php

For the safest method of cleaning these without degradation of the silver, check out the baking soda/boiling water/aluminum foil process as outlined by AsylumGuido in this thread on one of Highball's Bulldogs. Scroll down to the 13th post. And here's an article that explains how and why it works. I'll give more details in my post this afternoon.

Oh, and Welcome to the B&B! I added an image I thought you might like to your quote above.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info T Rick, its brought it up quite nice, i reckon another clean and a bit more soda would be even better on the handle but it definetly looks better for the soda and aluminium trick.

Sweet! Glad I could be of some help. I use 3-4 treatments of the soda/boiling water/foil trick typically, but as needed. I usually do finish up with a very light polish with a mild silver cream (Wright's Silver Cream from Walmart is what I'm currently using). Just about to shoot some more pics, I'll through another post in here in a coupld hours.

I just checked the Wiki dates for my new Gillette, if i read the serial number system right, then i'm out by a year. My razor was made in 1906! Never seen a 1904 double ring model yet, i figure some one must have one on B&B.

I just checked the Wiki dates for my new Gillette, if i read the serial number system right, then i'm out by a year. My razor was made in 1906! Never seen a 1904 double ring model yet, i figure some one must have one on B&B.

Oldguy (Len) has a 1904. It's the early "Pat Applied For" variant. And AsylumGuido sold a really sweet complete 1904 "Pat. Applied For" DR set to Lucky11453 last year. And Highball has a 1904 IIRC, but I don't know if it's Pat. Applied for" or the standard Patent date model.

I have 3 DR's, all from 1905. Some day, I expect I'll pick up a 1904 (or maybe a 1903! :w00t:), but I am elated to have those I do. Such sweet pieces of history... BTW, I've also got a Single Ring with a date that puts it in late 1905, but that contradicts what we've seen printed. Still looking for someone with a Double Ring with a higher serial number though, and so far I've found none. It is a mystery... (Got to go shovel snow, back in an hour or so).

proxy.php

The mystery Single Ring, late 1905 serial number... yes, it came to me in this Double Ring style case.

proxy.php

Top Bottom