What's new

GEM SS uncoated compared to PTFE coated

I havent found any GEM PTFE blades rough or harsh. I havent had a bad blade either, yet anyway. Every one I've used so far has been the same as the next, smooth and sharp.

I've had a few orders from Connaught so far and not a single problem. Cant beat the shipping cost, but Maggard sure tries. ;)

Same here. We must be getting the good ones....LOL!!

Treet Carbon - Bad shaves. They were PIFed to me so they might have been exposed to the environment too long.

PAL Carbon - I get a weeks worth of good shaves with. I store in a sealed boxed with silica. They are a pain because of the drying, etc. for upkeep. I like throwing in a blade, leaving it in 'til time to bin.

Gem SS - Last me 20+ shaves. Bin when I have to work for a BBS.

Gem PTFE - haven't tried yet.

I’ve only used the treet and the ptfe.

The ptfe = the bee’s knees. Perfection

The treet = better than expected. Probably near the top of the lower 3rd of any blade of tried. There was a strange black residue on them after I was done.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've been adding my 2-cents all over the SE threads that discuss these blades, and I am starting to be swayed by the argument that the PTFE's are fine from first shave to last. I'll start by saying I've got a couple of hundred of the PTFE's winging their way from Great Britain to the US; so clearly I like the blade. But I've found the first shaves (more often than not) to be harsh. That said, I suspect they are just ultra-sharp initially, and if/when I focus on technique and near-negative-pressure, I don't have a problem. If I pop a new blade in for a "quickie" / "let's-do-this-thing" kind of shave -- especially in an unforgiving razor -- well, the results are....let's say unpleasant. Lately I've been using brand new GEM SS PTFE's in a new-to-me-and-aggressive razors, and the first shaves have been great. Of course, when I'm using a new-to-me razor (especially ones with an aggressive reputation) I generally don't do any "hot-dogging". So I'm netting out that the blades are just honed/sharpened to a finer edge than I would initially like; but if I'm careful about it, I can stubble-strop it with my first shave and be very happy with both the first and remaining shaves.

Oh and I will say that I've hand nice shaves with Treet carbon blades -- very smooth, but I can only get about 5 good shaves before I the blade gives up the ghost; and the GEM PTFE's last at least twice as long.

I havent found any GEM PTFE blades rough or harsh. I havent had a bad blade either, yet anyway. Every one I've used so far has been the same as the next, smooth and sharp.

I have had the same experience , the GEM PTFE's just give a great shave from day 1.

hi all,

I am brand new to Badger and Blade. I joined with more immediate hopes of asking a question that I didn’t see answered anywhere else and a longer term goal of maintaining an interest. this forum seems like the best place to ask my question. Sorry in advance if it has been discussed elsewhere!

I have been using a GEM razor since about October 1. I have had it since high school! I tried it then and didn’t like it. But having more time recently (not going anywhere for obvious reasons!) made me want to try it again.

I originally used the Stainless Steel blades that come in the ten pack vault at Walgreens. I HATED them in high school and did not like them this time, either. they tug!

So I got a ten pack of the carbin steel ones at CVS. They were nice. I had a little trouble in certain areas where they tugged, such as going against the grain from the chin to the lower lip. But overall, nice.

I tried a PTFE coated stainless steel blade last night. Boy, it’s like cutting through butter with a hot knife. The problem, and my question: I broke out all over my neck immediately after! Do people have Teflon allergies? Has that happened to others? Or is the blade unlikely to cause that and maybe I messed up some other way?

thanks for thoughts!

Flintstone65

hi all,

I am brand new to Badger and Blade. I joined with more immediate hopes of asking a question that I didn’t see answered anywhere else and a longer term goal of maintaining an interest. this forum seems like the best place to ask my question. Sorry in advance if it has been discussed elsewhere!

I have been using a GEM razor since about October 1. I have had it since high school! I tried it then and didn’t like it. But having more time recently (not going anywhere for obvious reasons!) made me want to try it again.

I originally used the Stainless Steel blades that come in the ten pack vault at Walgreens. I HATED them in high school and did not like them this time, either. they tug!

So I got a ten pack of the carbin steel ones at CVS. They were nice. I had a little trouble in certain areas where they tugged, such as going against the grain from the chin to the lower lip. But overall, nice.

I tried a PTFE coated stainless steel blade last night. Boy, it’s like cutting through butter with a hot knife. The problem, and my question: I broke out all over my neck immediately after! Do people have Teflon allergies? Has that happened to others? Or is the blade unlikely to cause that and maybe I messed up some other way?

thanks for thoughts!
I find (and you'll see many others say the same thing) that the first shave (and sometimes second) with the PTFE blades is just "too much". It can be harsh feeling and I'm more likely to get post-shave irritation and sensitivity in problem areas (i.e., my neck). There are a few things folks do to try and mitigate this:
  1. Hand strop the blade before using it for the first time. I've never really tried this -- some folks swear by it, and I really should give it a shot.

2. Cork the blade before using it for the first time. Dragging the blade through some cork seems to work for some folks (again, I haven't really tried this).

3. Use the blade in a mild razor. This is what I do, which is to use the blade in my Gem Feather Weight or Gem Contour -- both razors are fairly mild relative to something like a lather catcher or Micromatic.

4. Skip any against-the-grain passes (especially in sensitive areas) for the first shave or two. I do this as well, and it helps.
The PTFE blades are my favorite, and I can get a minimum of 10 shaves (usually around 15) with a single blade....and all but the first shave are just awesome. Again, if you search around the forum, you'll find this is not an uncommon phenomenon/complaint with these blades....but most of us just come up with a way to live with that first shave.

Hope this is helpful.

I’ll be updating from time to time. So far I have used the GEM BLUEstars, and they proved to be great blades in my GEMs. Right now I have Gem Carbons, and Pal Blue Carbons to test. The difference with testing these carbon blades is that now I have an Ever-Ready Stropper and belt system that was designed to strop fully spined SE blades. Stropping may let these Carbon blades show their true shaving abilities. I’ll be finding out soon enough.
75E44521-D019-41B5-AC2F-15DEB991B11D.jpeg

I find (and you'll see many others say the same thing) that the first shave (and sometimes second) with the PTFE blades is just "too much". It can be harsh feeling and I'm more likely to get post-shave irritation and sensitivity in problem areas (i.e., my neck). There are a few things folks do to try and mitigate this:
  1. Hand strop the blade before using it for the first time. I've never really tried this -- some folks swear by it, and I really should give it a shot.

2. Cork the blade before using it for the first time. Dragging the blade through some cork seems to work for some folks (again, I haven't really tried this).

3. Use the blade in a mild razor. This is what I do, which is to use the blade in my Gem Feather Weight or Gem Contour -- both razors are fairly mild relative to something like a lather catcher or Micromatic.

4. Skip any against-the-grain passes (especially in sensitive areas) for the first shave or two. I do this as well, and it helps.
The PTFE blades are my favorite, and I can get a minimum of 10 shaves (usually around 15) with a single blade....and all but the first shave are just awesome. Again, if you search around the forum, you'll find this is not an uncommon phenomenon/complaint with these blades....but most of us just come up with a way to live with that first shave.

Hope this is helpful.

thanks. That is good to hear that it is normal and gives me hope they will work out (or, if not, I guess I’ll go back to the carbon steel). I wonder why this happens. I think I’ll pursue your approach and skip the second pass against the grain the first couple times.

I wonder what causes this. I wonder if the Teflon wears off a little and gets implanted in your skin on the first pass?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
hi all,

thanks for thoughts!

Welcome to the forum!

The GEM PTFE blades are sharp. I use them exclusively in my GEM Bullet Tip and MMOC. The first 4 shaves in my milder Bullet Tip are fantastic. The next 6 in my MMOC are even better.

Depending which GEM razor you're using, the PTFE blade might be too much, as noted above. However, as your technique improves, so will your shaves.

Keep using the PTFE's and lighten the pressure applied. With my MMOC and a fresh PTFE even the weight of the razor can be too much. Angle of use is even more important. GEM razors are designed to be used very shallow and when used at the design angle with the proper technique, even with my MMOC, I dont feel the blade. It is however, extremely efficient and if by chance you are using an MMOC, it may take you a while to learn it well enough to become adept with it. Once you do though, you may never use another razor.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
hi all,

thanks for thoughts!
If you try some of the suggestions from above the last Three posts and if not much improvement I would suggest use the Alum block or after shave to see if it is just a very close shave from the stinging sensation. If that is not a issue after rinsing with water and pat dry. Then I apply some witch hazel and wipe off residual soap that the water might of missed and that seems to work well for my skin it seems & it will clean the skin surface. You can apply after shave or balms then, natural witch hazel has alcohol in it so aftershave can be redundant. There are a lot of DE blades in the market place that have PTFE(teflon) or platinum coatings and not many issues with them from my limited observations over the years. Also I believe that Gem Personna MFG just stainless steel razor blade with no coatings (Medical use?) that are available(never tried them). Gem Personna Shaving blades are the 3 sided facet blades & not the 2 facet for utility blades that can be confusing when searching on line.
Additional information.
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

The GEM PTFE blades are sharp. I use them exclusively in my GEM Bullet Tip and MMOC. The first 4 shaves in my milder Bullet Tip are fantastic. The next 6 in my MMOC are even better.

Depending which GEM razor you're using, the PTFE blade might be too much, as noted above. However, as your technique improves, so will your shaves.

Keep using the PTFE's and lighten the pressure applied. With my MMOC and a fresh PTFE even the weight of the razor can be too much. Angle of use is even more important. GEM razors are designed to be used very shallow and when used at the design angle with the proper technique, even with my MMOC, I dont feel the blade. It is however, extremely efficient and if by chance you are using an MMOC, it may take you a while to learn it well enough to become adept with it. Once you do though, you may never use another razor.

Hello!

here is the update. I shave at night in the bathtub, as part of my wind-down-and-go-to-bed routine. I actually did decide to hand strop the blade, after watching a couple videos. And I used a super light touch. That did cut down on the irritation considerably. But the result was a lot more like the carbon steel, which, as of now, I actually like better. (Is that sacrilegious? Or maybe it’s just my face.) I think I’ll wind up using then PTFE ones in my box cutter. (Though I wish I knew someone who also wanted to try them, to share them, so they could without having to buy any.)

oh, someone mentioned alum. Yep, I did indeed invest in a block of that. It’s nice stuff. I found witch hazel is more miraculous, but the alum is easier to use. (I seem to spill the witch hazel out of my hand all over.)

anyway, thanks. This whole turning shaving into a hobby thing should be fun! I can hang out here when not over at the Fountain Pen Network!

Flintstone65

Hello!

here is the update. I shave at night in the bathtub, as part of my wind-down-and-go-to-bed routine. I actually did decide to hand strop the blade, after watching a couple videos. And I used a super light touch. That did cut down on the irritation considerably. But the result was a lot more like the carbon steel, which, as of now, I actually like better. (Is that sacrilegious? Or maybe it’s just my face.) I think I’ll wind up using then PTFE ones in my box cutter. (Though I wish I knew someone who also wanted to try them, to share them, so they could without having to buy any.)

oh, someone mentioned alum. Yep, I did indeed invest in a block of that. It’s nice stuff. I found witch hazel is more miraculous, but the alum is easier to use. (I seem to spill the witch hazel out of my hand all over.)

anyway, thanks. This whole turning shaving into a hobby thing should be fun! I can hang out here when not over at the Fountain Pen Network!
I like the carbon as well (specifically the Treet Carbon blades) -- my issue with the carbon is that no matter what I do to baby them (dry them thoroughly, coat with mineral oil -- I've even tried Frog Lube on them), they only last about 5 shaves.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hello!

I tried a carbon blade and I just couldnt make it work. Not even after sharpening it.

First SE Shave. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-se-shave.524844/

If they work for you however, use them. Keep the PTFE's though, you might gravitate back to them in a few months.

Count me in as a fan of the carbon steel blades, I've used Treet, PAL,GEM Blue Star and CVS blades and prefer all of them over the PTFE coated stainless blades. Don't get me wrong, the stainless blades are very good, I just received 20 that I ordered through Amazon because I've used the carbon steel blades exclusively for a long time and wanted some just for variety.

Top Bottom