What's new

GEM SS uncoated compared to PTFE coated

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thanks! I knew they were SS and better than the carbon blades. Once I got my stash from England, I didn't use the ones from Walgreen's again.
Speaking of getting a stash from England. Assuming you're here in the US, do you recall how long (roughly) it took for your blades to arrive? I didn't receive a tracking number and I'm getting a bit anxious. I placed the order on Nov 19. I know when I've purchased other things from the UK, it can take a while to get processed through customs here.

Speaking of getting a stash from England. Assuming you're here in the US, do you recall how long (roughly) it took for your blades to arrive? I didn't receive a tracking number and I'm getting a bit anxious. I placed the order on Nov 19. I know when I've purchased other things from the UK, it can take a while to get processed through customs here.

I believe it was 11 days. Unfortunately, it's December(Christmas), shipping takes longer now. I am in the US.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Orders from Connaught usually take 20 days to get to me in Canada. My last order still hasnt arrived and its been 31 days, but we did had a mail strike. I hope they get here soon though.

Flintstone65

I believe it was 11 days. Unfortunately, it's December(Christmas), shipping takes longer now. I am in the US.

Orders from Connaught usually take 20 days to get to me in Canada. My last order still hasnt arrived and its been 31 days, but we did had a mail strike. I hope they get here soon though.

Thank you both. I'm hoping it's any day now....while the uncoated SS will do in a pinch, the difference between the Carbons and PTFEs is night and day -- or more aptly the difference between a piece of broken glass and a piece of sharpened metal.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just recieved my blades and it took about 4 weeks because of the strike, more than likely yours should be soon because you are closer to the Great Britain in theory.
Have some great shaves!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just recieved my blades and it took about 4 weeks because of the strike, more than likely yours should be soon because you are closer to the Great Britain in theory.
Have some great shaves!

Hopefully, my order will be here this week. If not, it'll get here eventually I'm sure.

Flintstone65

Have some great shaves!
Just got mine in today!!! 16 days -- not bad, but I would keep that in mind when you're ordering.

Ron R

Just got mine in today!!! 16 days -- not bad, but I would keep that in mind when you're ordering.
Good advice, the clear dispensers are really nice Personna uses for Gem blades IMO.

Well I just won another lot of razors on _bay and it has 2 micromatics(gold ? & Nickel mmoc) that were a bargin from a estate sale with the old suds still on them and a gold Tech razor + a Gillette old type and this weird contraption that Gillette tinkered with called the techmatic( it has a SS ribbon blade adjustable cartridge that has equivalent of 10 blades & was liked by some but it just did not catch on by shavers) . 2018 was the year of the RAD for me and I have had enough fun buying and now just going to enjoy the razors. You fellows in the States are lucky bunch when it comes to shipping in the USA because you get a bargain.
Have some great shaves!

Good advice, the clear dispensers are really nice Personna uses for Gem blades IMO.

Well I just won another lot of razors on _bay and it has 2 micromatics(gold ? & Nickel mmoc) that were a bargin from a estate sale with the old suds still on them and a gold Tech razor + a Gillette old type and this weird contraption that Gillette tinkered with called the techmatic( it has a SS ribbon blade adjustable cartridge that has equivalent of 10 blades & was liked by some but it just did not catch on by shavers) . 2018 was the year of the RAD for me and I have had enough fun buying and now just going to enjoy the razors. You fellows in the States are lucky bunch when it comes to shipping in the USA because you get a bargain.
Have some great shaves!
Good catch ! I've got some of my best deals from estate sales including NOS / mint razors.

I hope you're not planning to use the techmatic unless you're writing an autobiography titled - living in the edge :D

From what I've read the wavy blade faults made this a deadly contraption to shave with !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Ron R

Good catch ! I've got some of my best deals from estate sales including NOS / mint razors.

I hope you're not planning to use the techmatic unless you're writing an autobiography titled - living in the edge :D

From what I've read the wavy blade faults made this a deadly contraption to shave with !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
:a16:Thanks for the that one, It was part of the deal and of course I had to do some minimal research and I think I will just kind of call it a historic article of interest and conversion but I'm not going to use it.

I recently came back to using a Gem razor and I tried a stainless steel blade not coated with PTFE. I stropped it on my hand 4 times on each side. It gave a wonderful smooth shave.
The next blade I tried was a s.s. PTFE coated blade. Because it had a Teflon coating on it I did not strop it. The shave was very rough. Felt like there were nicks in the blade. Next time I will try and strop the PTFE blade.
Anyone have the same experience?

I recently came back to using a Gem razor and I tried a stainless steel blade not coated with PTFE. I stropped it on my hand 4 times on each side. It gave a wonderful smooth shave.
The next blade I tried was a s.s. PTFE coated blade. Because it had a Teflon coating on it I did not strop it. The shave was very rough. Felt like there were nicks in the blade. Next time I will try and strop the PTFE blade.
Anyone have the same experience?

I cork my PTFEs before the first shave. I’m convinced it improves shave #1. Hand stropping probably accomplishes the same thing.

I cork my PTFEs before the first shave. I’m convinced it improves shave #1. Hand stropping probably accomplishes the same thing.

I've come to believe that with all GEM blades you have to strop them or cork them. Otherwise they are not smooth at all.

I've come to believe that with all GEM blades you have to strop them or cork them. Otherwise they are not smooth at all.

I've been reading your and Tanuki's post. Since I've discovered GEM razors, I've never found the PTFE to need anything. The same cannot be said for the uncoated blades I got in a sample assortment from Try-A-Blade. I do tend to use an almost pressure-less technique.

If I strop the PTFE blade it will be fine, otherwise it is very bad. Like I said it feels like there are nicks in the blade. It's that bad.

Coated, the smoothest blade (DE or SE) I have ever tried.

Un-coated - I tried one, 2 strokes later I switched it for a coated blade. Otherwise I would have had no face left.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I havent found any GEM PTFE blades rough or harsh. I havent had a bad blade either, yet anyway. Every one I've used so far has been the same as the next, smooth and sharp.

Have to agree with your advice, they are good to deal with also IMO.

I've had a few orders from Connaught so far and not a single problem. Cant beat the shipping cost, but Maggard sure tries. ;)

Top Bottom