What's new

Gas grill woes (Napoleon)

My gas grill will not work. I discovered this after bringing home a new tank of propane, a bunch of chicken legs, and some lamb chops. In short, I'm not sure if I want to try to fix it or not, but I thought that I'd ask y'all for suggestions.

It's a Napoleon gas grill, which I bought around ten years ago instead of a Weber because 1) it has a different burner configuration that supposedly works better for indirect grilling, and 2) it was billed as better than a Weber with thicker burner tubing/etc. The real reason I went with it, however, was that you can remove the flame tamers and put a perforated cast iron plate on each half of the grill where the gas burners would light your charcoal for you. I used to run half of the grill as charcoal and half gas, as you can't add charcoal easily once things get hot.

Anyway . . .

I can't detect any gas flow or smell from the new tank. I brought the tank back to Lowe's, where it did indeed smell like gas when they hooked it up to a new grill outside (but it wasn't an audible hiss like I'm used to). I have checked the regulator and ran a brush along the outside of the burner tubes.

Normally, if I really liked the grill, I'd just call the grill shop I bought it from to come out and fix it (I don't have a truck or means of moving it). However, I'm planning on moving across the state soon and I don't plan on bringing this grill. If my new rental is compatible with it, I plan on replacing it with either a pellet grill or a charcoal grill.

Is it worth it to buy a new regulator/hose, or have someone look at it? Is there something simple that I can do? I haven't tried disassembling the grill to clean the insides of the burner tubes (I'm not mechanically inclined - a faucet mount water purifier or a new showerhead is about the limit of my skills. My drywall has a few areas where I tried to drill simple holes and ended up with cone shaped craters . . . ). I did turn the tank valve off and opened up the grill valves to clear the lines and (hopefully) reset the Flow Limiting Device, wherever that is located.

I intend to try to sell it, but I suspect that selling a non-working grill may not work as well as trying to sell a working one . . . :tongue_sm

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It may just be the the hose is not on tight enough to release the value. Take it off and put it back on. Does the bottle feel the right weight for being full?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Teppy, 10 years out of a gas grill is awesome. All the ones I owned in the past were toast after a few years. I can see a nice charcoal grill in your future. You'll get better tasting food from briquettes. Plus, No gas, no lines, no burners, no troubles.

Now Lets talk about charcoal chimneys.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a Napoleon grill of the same vintage. They come with a limited life time warranty. I'd give them a call.

Just get a Weber. I have had 2 over the past 30 years and the last one is still going strong after more than 18 years with minimum maintenance.

The valves on the gas grills have some sort of idiot proofing that messes me up everytime I change the tank. (So I guess I know my category) But anyway the OPD valve has a feature to detect too much flow to keep people from blowing themselves up. If the grill detects ttoo high a flow rate it cuts the gas flow to a trickle. I have to mess with my grill every time I change the tank. I have to do this several times:
- Close tank and grill valves.
- Open tank valve
- Open one grill valve and attempt to light
- if it lights it should be a full, bold flame. If not -- the safety has tripped -- close all valves, disconnect tank and try again. (You should hear the "whoosh" of gas if the gas hose is connected to the tank valve correctly.)

Last edited:
No kidding....spiders sometimes block the orifices with webs. Pulling the burner and blowing it out cures the problem.

This is true. I neglected my Weber gas grill for some time due to my obsession with my Big Green Egg. I finally tried to light up the Weber and...nothing. My brother told me to check inside the hoses for spider webs. Sure enough he was right and there was a dense plug of spider webbing. I cleaned it out and all good.

Can't comment on the Napoleon brand but if you have 10 years on this grill you have certainly received your investment back. I'd say check the warranty and if you can fix it for a minimal amount go for it. If not buy another one or a Weber. I currently have a new Weber and an older Green Egg.

Napoleon is Canada's Weber. Great, reliable grills. You just need to decide if you want to sell it non-working or if you want to troubleshoot the problem and call Napoleon for some new parts. If you are happy with your investment over the past 10 years, put it on craigslist for a few bucks. Someone who knows what it is will grab it quickly. Good Luck!

Teppy, 10 years out of a gas grill is awesome. All the ones I owned in the past were toast after a few years. I can see a nice charcoal grill in your future. You'll get better tasting food from briquettes. Plus, No gas, no lines, no burners, no troubles.

Now Lets talk about charcoal chimneys.
I agree! Went charcoal 20 years ago, problem free since!

Top Bottom