What's new

Shopping for a new grill

I sold hundreds of pricey grills in my thirty-six year retail career at an Ace Hardware known as a destination place for grill enthusiasts, and a deep product line-up of several popular name brands. Have used a number of grills/smokers/cookers/griddles at store demonstrations and for my personal use in that time. Two brands have stood out for me, Weber, and more recently Big Green Egg. In terms of build quality, durability, user life of the unit, parts access, manufacturer support of customer, cooking results, and overall owner satisfaction, Weber and Big Green Egg are at the top of the game.
I love my Weber Genesis(NATURAL GAS), and the Performer !!!!

As the tittle states, I am shopping for a new grill, and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions that I can get.

I currently have a Kitchenaid 2 burner propane bbq, like this
View attachment 1608675
After 6 years of very regular use, and storing it outside in Atlantic Canada, it is toast. The base of the main housing is rotted and full of holes, and now the gas regulator must be damaged because the thing is on BLAST even on it’s lowest setting. So I’m going to put it to the curb.

I’m looking for a slightly bigger grill, 3 or 4 burners, preferably one with a side burner. Something well made and good quality that will hopefully last longer then my current grill. Budget is under $1000 CAD, cheaper is better but I will pay for quality.

I was looking at a Coleman Revolution from CanadianTire, but have seen mixed reviews. Considering an entry level Weber or Napoleon. Maybe even an entry level wood pellet grill, like one of the cheaper Traegers. I’d love a Komado grill, but they are generally more expensive, and come with a learning curve.

What do you use? What can you suggest based on your experience? I grill very regularly and all year round.
Depends if you just grill or if you barbecue. If you only grill, most prefer the convenience of gas. If you can afford a Weber, it will last a long time with little to no maintenance and there are tons of aftermarket upgrade parts (stainless etc). OTOH if you barbecue the thick heat retaining walls of the Green Egg are super helpful and take a lot of the fiddling, hassle and worry out of barbecuing.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Thanks for making me aware of these, I’ve been doing some research and I really want one now. Quite pricey for a charcoal grill, but it will genuinely outlast the person using it and that is a rare thing these days.
They are amazing. I have offset smoked a brisket in it. Burgers all day long. London broil done offset is absolutely amazing. The only thing I don’t like about the new ones is they open the wrong way. I don’t understand why they do that mine opens like every other grill. In my opinion they are the best charcoal grill available. Mine lives outside, and gets used, year round. I had to replace the lower charcoal grate after 40+ years. They can be a pain to clean out the ash. I just dump mine in the fire pit every so often. If you don’t have an option like that a small shovel and metal pail might be handy to dig it out every couple of months. I cannot brag about the thing enough. It is one of my favorite possessions. No I don’t work for them or sell them.

I’ve had a propane start charcoal Weber (performa) for at least 9 years. It’s been outside (chicagoland) uncovered and really shows no sign of wear. I did replace the ignitor last year but that’s unrelated to weather. I consider it the cadillac of charcoal grills.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I consider it the cadillac of charcoal grills.

Yeah, well ... sez you.

1677700508041.png

I do not have much to say on the gas front, and am also unsure of the CAD to USD conversion. but I use a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker seriously every day off (I do not work a mon-fri, I work 14 days a month), so it gets used... a lot! Big bags of pellets (40#) are $15 at walmart. it can do everything from low heat smoking (150 degrees) to high heat (500). I cook everything on that joker. It may be worth looking into. I've not found a soul on earth who does not appreciate the flavor of smoked food. no matter the heat setting, you still get some of that flavor... from smoked ribs or butts to quick burgers or chops. just today I made sausage and peppers, I threw the sausages on to brown on the smoker, then added to the pot of onions and peps. it was awesome. just something to look into. I've had mine since I got my house in 18. it has held up really well to deep south climate. uncovered year round. between the spring pollen (now) to the torrential humid sweltering days of summer, to our miserable, wet, humid winters... she is only peeling paint. still no rust. Really fine product and has become a really enjoyable hobby.

I have a char-broil that is one of their infrared models (gas powered). It was a wedding gift. I expect it to last about 5-6 years. I guarantee when I go to buy a new one it will be a weber (probably gas as I am a renter and many places here in Colorado do not allow charcoal or it would just be a weber kettle and use lump charcoal)

ylekot

I have a char-broil that is one of their infrared models (gas powered). It was a wedding gift. I expect it to last about 5-6 years. I guarantee when I go to buy a new one it will be a weber (probably gas as I am a renter and many places here in Colorado do not allow charcoal or it would just be a weber kettle and use lump charcoal)
No charcoal?!.? That sucks

So I went into this basically set on getting another propane grill to replace my old failing one. After a fair bit of research and a lot of great suggestions here I am 99% sold on a Weber master touch kettle and will probably pick one up next week.

If PK grills were less expensive and readily available where I live, I would have loved to get one of those. Maybe one day.

I will probably still get a propane grill at some point for ease of use when I’m just trying to make something quick. But I’m looking forward to learning the kettle and raising my grilling game. I’ve never really done “proper” bbq/smoking.

So I went into this basically set on getting another propane grill to replace my old failing one. After a fair bit of research and a lot of great suggestions here I am 99% sold on a Weber master touch kettle and will probably pick one up next week.

If PK grills were less expensive and readily available where I live, I would have loved to get one of those. Maybe one day.

I will probably still get a propane grill at some point for ease of use when I’m just trying to make something quick. But I’m looking forward to learning the kettle and raising my grilling game. I’ve never really done “proper” bbq/smoking.

I don’t blame you, I looked at current prices for the propane start charcoal Weber, $550. Jeez! That’s crazy. If I didn’t have one already I’d be hard pressed justifying that kind of cash.

ylekot

I think Ace Hardware sells the PK grills

I think Ace Hardware sells the PK grills

Unfortunately here north of the border Ace hardware are few and far between. I’ve never seen one. I checked their Canadian website and they don’t appear to carry PK here.

ylekot

Unfortunately here north of the border Ace hardware are few and far between. I’ve never seen one. I checked their Canadian website and they don’t appear to carry PK here.
Didn’t know you were in Canada.

PK Grills Charcoal Grill and Smoker | Portable Kitchen - https://www.pkgrills.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAiAr4GgBhBFEiwAgwORrVZ1CnLKQKfTD13hShF-6yu87XLSBz65v1SkYlVF_u2qJLu31HlTyBoCJlwQAvD_BwE.

They are having a sale on their website. Not sure how it works for Canada

If you haven't already, you may want to check out amazingribs.com. Meathead and company have reviews and ratings for a multitude of grills, of every style, and helpful tips on how to cook on them.

Good luck on the quest!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Save some money & get a charcoal chimney - near as quick as gassing your weiner, and saves some $$ as well 🔥

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had a Weber Genesis for 20 years. As we are prepping for a nomadic lifestyle, we sold the Weber when we sold the house. But that 20 year old grill was nearly like new. And the guy that bought it was so incredibly happy to get it. The only things replaced in 20 years were the igniter once, and the flavorizer bars, both of which I consider maintenance items. I don’t really miss that house. I miss my deck and my Weber grill.

Top Bottom