What's new

Shopping for a new grill

Pick up a side table for your grill. They have inexpensive ones at Amazon, it fits inside the grill if you put it away. Just be careful, if you place something heavy on it, the kettle can tip. Scared the charcoal out of me one day :scared:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Side table would be nice - but I've been planning on building my Egg a table since I bought it - circa 2009 ..

Space and budget allowing, we all should have a gas grill and a charcoal grill. Some might also add a pellet grill and a dedicated smoker.

I bought my first Weber Genesis in January 1987 and got over 23 years of service from it before replacing it with a Weber Genesis E330. The quality of the second Genesis was not the same and I only got about 13 years from it while replacing many parts and finally giving up the ghost a few months ago. I replaced it with a Napoleon Prestige that came with a lifetime warranty. My brother replaced his Genesis (which replaced a Ducane) with a Napoleon Rogue. Both of us are extremely happy with the Napoleon grills and in my mind they have overtaken Weber in quality, reliability and customer service.

Now a Weber Kettle is great for what it is. It can cook almost anything from a smoke to a quick sear.

I did replace my Weber Kettle with a Big Green Egg and supplemented the BGE with a Thermoworks Signals and Billows. I use lump charcoal (Harder and Jealous Devil are my favorites, but Royal Oak lump is easily available and also good at a lower bag price.) The BGE can easily cook low and slow for an 18 hour plus cook without having to open the lid and still leave plenty of charcoal for the next cook. With a steel kettle, charcoal and wood had to be added mid-cook.

Gas is convenient and faster to light. Charcoal lights easily but takes more time using a chimney or my favorite lighter a JJ George (longer torch) blow torch.

All this being said I have eaten tremendous barbecue cooked on what was once a 55 gallon steel drum.

I recently purchased a Nexgrill Oakford 1000 and have been very pleased. The smoker is easy to use and I use a reverse sear for steaks. I have done venison and pork roasts, whole chickens, pork butts, and sausage so far. It is by far the best I have owned.

Top Bottom