What's new

Gamechanger .68 open comb

By way of follow up, I completed my week's shaving routine this morning as planned:

First Pass WTG with .68 JAWS
Second Pass XTG with .68 SB

Observations:

1) Improvement noted in neck area versus using .68 SB both passes or .84 SB both passes
2) I learned that a small section on one side of my neck requires a diagonal stroke to achieve bbs most efficiently. Very good to know and it makes the trial period worthwhile since I hadn't observed this before.
3) I must admit that I did introduce some minor irritation post shave since introducing the .68 JAWS to my daily routine. To me, this makes this setup a special occasion shave for me, only, if I am coming off of one day's beard growth.
4) Anxious to try the JAWS after a weekend's beard growth, which was my original reason for ordering.

As always, YMMV...

May I ask what your daily driver or razor rotation is outside the new Gamechangers? I had my eye on the .68OC or JAWS but your reports of some irritation is concerning. I am still searching for that panacea of mild/smooth but efficient.

May I ask what your daily driver or razor rotation is outside the new Gamechangers? I had my eye on the .68OC or JAWS but your reports of some irritation is concerning. I am still searching for that panacea of mild/smooth but efficient.

Typical Week:
Monday: GC .84 SB (if I didn't shave on Saturday or Sunday)
Tuesday - Friday: GC .68 SB

The .84 SB causes a little irritation if I try to use it as a daily driver. I have been relatively happy with this routine but there is room for improvement regarding efficiency. My thinking was why not try the OC and JAWS options. Now, I am not willing to live with the irritation so the JAWS option for me as a daily driver is probably out. And, as I stated in a previous post, I didn't seem to gain much, if any, by way of efficiency with the .68 OC. I think others have reported zero irritation with the .68 JAWS, so YMMV. The GC .68 gives me a shave that is acceptable, not perfect, but with absolutely zero irritation. Next week I will be giving the Timeless Ti a test drive.

Last edited:
mahenryak:
(Complicating matters, is that I am going to be distracted in a major league way after my new Timeless Ti arrives this weekend. Sigh... A good problem to have, though, I suppose.)

Be sure to keep us informed on how the Game Changers compare with the Ti.
My new Timeless Ti .95 Dual Comb SB/Scalloped arrived last night. I posted a couple of pics, here:

My first shave this morning with the new Timeless Ti went off without a hitch. This, even though I was second guessing myself for my decision to go with the .95 gap vs. the .68 gap while waiting for the razor to arrive in the mail. I was poised to give the new .95 gap a ton of respect, which I did, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn how smooth this razor was. Yes, I had read many posts regarding how comfortable this razor is to use, but I was a little gun shy given that I find the GC .84 a little too much for my skin's sensitivity to be used as a daily shaver. It has only been one shave so I don't think it's fair to compare to the GC line, just yet, but I will simply say that I couldn't be more happier at the moment with this razor. Time will tell if my skin will allow me to use it as a daily driver, but my first impressions regarding comfort level and smoothness were very, very good. Hopefully, I will be able to post more regarding efficiency and maybe eventually some comparisons to the GC plates that I own (.84 SB, .68 SB, .68 OC and .68 Jaws), but not until I have more experience with this razor. Maybe I'll do this in a separate thread, though. (P.S. I was using a Voskhod Teflon coated blade this morning.)

Last edited:
Longer term review on the .68 Jaws plate. Overall, I'm getting closer shaves with this plate than with the .84 sb, although I tend to get weepers just a little bit more frequently. It does a much better job at mowing down a few days worth of growth on the first pass than the .84 sb with just a tiny bit less smoothness (maybe). It's weird, when I shaved with the .84 for the week before I got the .68 Jaws, I was getting great shaves. Now when I try going back to the .84, they aren't as great in terms of lasting face smoothness as they were before. Really not sure which one I prefer as the .84 is less likely to bite for some reason.

Longer term review on the .68 Jaws plate. Overall, I'm getting closer shaves with this plate than with the .84 sb, although I tend to get weepers just a little bit more frequently. It does a much better job at mowing down a few days worth of growth on the first pass than the .84 sb with just a tiny bit less smoothness (maybe). It's weird, when I shaved with the .84 for the week before I got the .68 Jaws, I was getting great shaves. Now when I try going back to the .84, they aren't as great in terms of lasting face smoothness as they were before. Really not sure which one I prefer as the .84 is less likely to bite for some reason.
I had a similar experience with the .84 OC and .84 Jaws. Initial shave seemed comparable, but the Jaws shaves lasted quite a bit longer.

Used the .68 OC plate last night. It’s a solid razor. Not sure that I feel much difference in blade feel between it and my .84 OC. The .84 is more efficient for sure. I’ll try several different blades to see if I can make it a super smooth but efficient daily driver.

Used the .68 OC plate last night. It’s a solid razor. Not sure that I feel much difference in blade feel between it and my .84 OC. The .84 is more efficient for sure. I’ll try several different blades to see if I can make it a super smooth but efficient daily driver.
For me the PolSilver is a solid performer in the .68 OC. Give that a shot and see what you think.

I just recently got the .68OC and the .84SB I found the aggressiveness to be about equal. Both razors gave me a bbs right out of the box. The .068OC was a tad smoother of the two for me. I found the shave angle to be different between the two which surprised me. The .68OC liked a steeper angle than the .84SB. I used Voshkod in both. I have only had one shave on each and my Gold Grande came in the mail today. My second open comb.

Attachments

• 76D691B1-2F18-413D-BD11-7A23B87CEACF.jpeg
    76D691B1-2F18-413D-BD11-7A23B87CEACF.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 34
Voshkods have been very smooth and worked well in my .68OC and .84SB

Can someone give me a comparison experience between the GC .84OC, Jaws .84OC & Muhle R41?

The difference between the JAWS 84 and OC 84 is only the number of teeth on the comb, fewer on the JAWS. I have not tried an R41, I hear that's even more aggressive than the JAWS. I use the JAWS and see no need to chase a more aggressive razor. I shave every other day and wanted a razor that would sail through my whiskers with ease and it does just that (with the right blade of course). The JAWS is a great razor and cheaper than the OC 84 because it's easier for them to machine it.

The difference between the JAWS 84 and OC 84 is only the number of teeth on the comb, fewer on the JAWS. I have not tried an R41, I hear that's even more aggressive than the JAWS. I use the JAWS and see no need to chase a more aggressive razor. I shave every other day and wanted a razor that would sail through my whiskers with ease and it does just that (with the right blade of course). The JAWS is a great razor and cheaper than the OC 84 because it's easier for them to machine it.
From what I gathered the Jaws OC is more efficient than the GC OC. If that's the case I would like to know how the JawsOC compares to the Muhle R41 in efficiency & smoothness.

From what I gathered the Jaws OC is more efficient than the GC OC. If that's the case I would like to know how the JawsOC compares to the Muhle R41 in efficiency & smoothness.

I originally wanted the OC 84 but they were out of stock so I said what the heck, I’ll try the JAWS. Many say the JAWS is slightly more efficient than the OC but I don’t know, never tried it. Not sure how big a difference 3 more teeth makes.

I don’t go ATG and only do a couple passes, so JAWS fits just right for my needs. If R41 was stainless I might’ve bought one but the JAWS is all the razor I need.

Can someone give me a comparison experience between the GC .84OC, Jaws .84OC & Muhle R41?
[/QU2OTE]
They all shave OK, they all feel different on your skin.
I am more careful w R41, feels as if it can cut you if you lack attention (more blade feel).
.84 oc, is probably the smoother of them
Jaws, you feel the teeth more than the other 2.
For me: 1-rr oc 84, 2-R41, 3-Jaws

For me, the .84 Jaws is only slightly less efficient than the R41 but so much smoother. No tugging and comfortable ATG. The R41 was not comfortable ATG in my hands. I can use the .84 Jaws daily but could not use the R41 daily. Add the fact that the GC is stainless with multiple plate options. IMHO, the GC is just a great deal all around.

So the Game Changer .68

First I had the SB plate. I bought it used. It's a nice mild shaver but there seems to be something wrong with mine as the two sides sound and feel different. One side is much smoother than the other ATG.

I got the .68 OC base plate. What a shaver. Fantastic. A tad more efficient than the SB maybe but much smoother. Anyone who like a Tech or 34C shave or similar, and wants a SS razor, should try the .68 OC. It clamps the blade better than the SB, but also bare in mind my SB seemed a bit off somehow. I'd rate the .68 OC as one of my all time favourite razors, and I like razors on the milder side. It is just....great.

I have the JAWS base plate coming my way as we speak. Opinions to follow. Had my first shave this morning with a ATT S1 and found it a bit rough ATG. We shall see. I shall persevere with it. It certainly didn't blow my socks off like the .68 OC, although the end result was as good.

My benchmark is how comfortable I can shave ATG. Especially those bits we all have that are guaranteed to cause a problem, or hurt a bit, if the razor isn't top notch. That means top notch for my face.

So the Game Changer .68

First I had the SB plate. I bought it used. It's a nice mild shaver but there seems to be something wrong with mine as the two sides sound and feel different. One side is much smoother than the other ATG.

I got the .68 OC base plate. What a shaver. Fantastic. A tad more efficient than the SB maybe but much smoother. Anyone who like a Tech or 34C shave or similar, and wants a SS razor, should try the .68 OC. It clamps the blade better than the SB, but also bare in mind my SB seemed a bit off somehow. I'd rate the .68 OC as one of my all time favourite razors, and I like razors on the milder side. It is just....great.

I have the JAWS base plate coming my way as we speak. Opinions to follow. Had my first shave this morning with a ATT S1 and found it a bit rough ATG. We shall see. I shall persevere with it. It certainly didn't blow my socks off like the .68 OC, although the end result was as good.

My benchmark is how comfortable I can shave ATG. Especially those bits we all have that are guaranteed to cause a problem, or hurt a bit, if the razor isn't top notch. That means top notch for my face.

Awaiting the arrival of your JAWS with baited breath. I appreciate mild razors with an eye towards efficient as well so getting a solid comparison from someone having experienced both would be invaluable. Thanks for the great feedback so far.

Awaiting the arrival of your JAWS with baited breath. I appreciate mild razors with an eye towards efficient as well so getting a solid comparison from someone having experienced both would be invaluable. Thanks for the great feedback so far.

No probs. Will update when I can. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom