What's new

Gamechanger .68 open comb

Head shave #2 w Jaws .68; this time w a Nacet (I usually don't shave every day) but needed to get some feedback.
Shave was good, 2 pass shave. I personally do not notice a great difference between this one and the 0.84 OC gamechanger....so if you are on the fence, save $30. It's a bit milder than the .84 Jaws.

Jaws .68 vs Lupo, Lupo wins.

Head shave #2 w Jaws .68; this time w a Nacet (I usually don't shave every day) but needed to get some feedback.
Shave was good, 2 pass shave. I personally do not notice a great difference between this one and the 0.84 OC gamechanger....so if you are on the fence, save $30. It's a bit milder than the .84 Jaws.

Jaws .68 vs Lupo, Lupo wins.

let us know how shave #3 goes... i'm on the fence about buying a .68 JAWS for head shaves. Currently have .68 and the .68 OC (which I like more)

Last edited:
I received my .68 Jaws on Friday, shaved yesterday and today with it. Had been using the .84sb for the last week. I tried the original .68 solid bar on two occasions and could never get a great shave with it. Would always get a raw shave because I had to do too many clean up passes.
The .84 is great but it seems like after about a week I start getting irritation. But the shaves are great and smooth. Easy 2 passes.
The .68 Jaws is just about as efficient, maybe one notch less as my neck area doesn't seem quite as smooth, as the .84 and is smoother than I expected. I can't say how it will be in terms of irritation after a weeks use but I'm almost thinking it may suit me better than the .84. It is a very nice step up from the .68 sb.
IMG_20200301_093728.jpg

I received my .68 Jaws on Friday, shaved yesterday and today with it. Had been using the .84sb for the last week. I tried the original .68 solid bar on two occasions and could never get a great shave with it. Would always get a raw shave because I had to do too many clean up passes.
The .84 is great but it seems like after about a week I start getting irritation. But the shaves are great and smooth. Easy 2 passes.
The .68 Jaws is just about as efficient, maybe one notch less as my neck area doesn't seem quite as smooth, as the .84 and is smoother than I expected. I can't say how it will be in terms of irritation after a weeks use but I'm almost thinking it may suit me better than the .84. It is a very nice step up from the .68 sb.
View attachment 1069030

Looks nice with the barber pool handle. I like you stand! My son would love that. May have to build him one.

I am waiting for my OC and Jaws .68 blades to arrive, so I have been following this thread to help pass the time and maybe learn a little bit more of what I might expect. I particularly appreciate this review. It seems I share a similar experience with the .84 SB as you. Very smooth, significantly better in my neck area when compared to the .68 SB, but perhaps a bit too efficient for my face to be used as a daily shaver.

P.S.
Very creative razor/brush/blade stand! Nice.

So far I have 2 shaves with the .68 JAWS and 1 with the .68 OC. Initial impression is that the .68 JAWS is slightly more efficient than the .68 OC without sacrificing anything in the way of comfort. I usually shave every day but Sunday because I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin, I like to give it a day to recover. I'll give the .68 OC a run tomorrow morning after taking a day off to see how it does with the extra growth. Either way, I like both .68 open comb versions better than any of the .84 versions.

Last edited:
So far I have 2 shaves with the .68 JAWS and 1 with the .68 OC. Initial impression is that the .68 is slightly more efficient without sacrificing anything in the way of comfort. I usually shave every day but Sunday because I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin, I like to give it a day to recover. I'll give the .68 OC a run tomorrow morning after taking a day off to see how it does with the extra growth. Either way, I like both .68 open comb versions better than any of the .84 versions.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you prefer the 0.68 OC over the 0.84 OC? And you find the smaller gap to be more efficient than the larger gap? I've only shave with the 0.84 OC so looking to see if I should get the 0.68 OC.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you prefer the 0.68 OC over the 0.84 OC? And you find the smaller gap to be more efficient than the larger gap? I've only shave with the 0.84 OC so looking to see if I should get the 0.68 OC.

No, sorry. Meant to say the .68 JAWS is slightly more efficient than the .68 OC. I’ll fix that in my other post.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
View attachment 1069030
Oh great, not only do I now have to buy another new razor, I have to add legos too! 😉
Awesome stand by the way.

As of right now, the .68 Jaws is my favorite of the entire GC lineup. I find it to be the smoothest of them all, including the 2 SB versions. I find it more efficient than the .84 OC but also more comfortable. The .68 OC and .84 OC are not a whole lot different from each other, a slight edge goes to the .84 for efficiency but the end result of a 3 pass shave is the same. The .84 Jaws is the most efficient of the pack, with only a slight loss of comfort. They are all great razors. I’d say if you shave daily, the .68 might be the better way to go. If not, probably the .84 (although I used the .84 OC and Jaws as daily razors for several months straight). With the .84 Jaws I found my best results came paired with Rapira Plat Lux. All the others do very well for me with Astra SP.

What about the .68 do you like better than the 0.84?

I find it a little friendlier and more comfortable. Some of that may be that I know the blade gap is less, and I know that I prefer the 0.68 to the 0.84 in safety bar (0.84 feels rougher and like it might bite), so it may be psychological.

Anyone have both the .68 Open Comb and .84 Open Comb who can compare the two? I have the .84 OC and love it but wonder if the .68 could be more of a daily driver.

I have been using the .68 JAWS as my daily driver all week. I also have the .84 JAWS but used it only after dulling a blade after a few shaves with the SB GC. Does that make sense? Bottom line, the .68 JAWS has less blade feel and is gentler on my face than the .84 JAWS. The .68 JAWS may be the perfect razor for me. Nearly did not purchase it but glad I did. Love it.

I found my GC.68SB to be a bit inefficient so bought the .84SB and the .68OC. Have used both several times now.

The .84SB surprised me - it is less aggressive than I expected and gives an efficient, smooth effortless shave. Perfect.

The .68OC I find slightly more aggressive, with more blade feel than the .84SB. Gives an equally good shave but less smooth feel in use and more likely to nick places where skin not smooth. Not sure yet whether this is a keeper. I’ll decide after trying with a range of blades.

I prefer both to the .68SB, which now feels too mild and needs too many passes. Maybe sell this one.

Hello. My .68 OC and .68 Jaws arrived Monday. I shaved with the .68 OC Tuesday morning, first pass, WTG, and used my .68 SB for the second pass XTG. The shave with the .68 OC was fine, slightly more blade feel and not quite as smooth as the .68 SB. I did not, however, notice any improvement in my challenging area of the neck. I typically live with a little stubble remaining there, which tends to smooth out after time, though (pores closing?). This morning, I gave the .68 Jaws a try. After the first pass WTG, I was pleased to find that one side of my neck area was significantly better when compared to prior shaves with either the .68 OC or .68 SB. Actually, even better than my experience with the .84 SB. Since one side of my neck still had a little stubble after the first pass, though, I thought I would do the second pass with the .68 Jaws to catch it up. Mission accomplished, the other side of my neck was smoothed over, however, I did manage to pick up a weeper and a slight nick under my nose, after the second pass with the .68 Jaws. So, for me, it's looking like a first pass WTG with the .68 JAWS, with a little more attention to detail in the neck area, and a second pass XTG with the .68 SB may be what works best for my face. I will try this approach for the remainder of the week and see how it goes. (Complicating matters, is that I am going to be distracted in a major league way after my new Timeless Ti arrives this weekend. Sigh... A good problem to have, though, I suppose.)

Last edited:
mahenryak:
(Complicating matters, is that I am going to be distracted in a major league way after my new Timeless Ti arrives this weekend. Sigh... A good problem to have, though, I suppose.)

Be sure to keep us informed on how the Game Changers compare with the Ti.

By way of follow up, I completed my week's shaving routine this morning as planned:

First Pass WTG with .68 JAWS
Second Pass XTG with .68 SB

Observations:

1) Improvement noted in neck area versus using .68 SB both passes or .84 SB both passes
2) I learned that a small section on one side of my neck requires a diagonal stroke to achieve bbs most efficiently. Very good to know and it makes the trial period worthwhile since I hadn't observed this before.
3) I must admit that I did introduce some minor irritation post shave since introducing the .68 JAWS to my daily routine. To me, this makes this setup a special occasion shave for me, only, if I am coming off of one day's beard growth.
4) Anxious to try the JAWS after a weekend's beard growth, which was my original reason for ordering.

As always, YMMV...

Top Bottom