What's new

Gamechanger .68 open comb

Package (.68 open comb) just left Illinois. Going on 2 weeks (2/12 order date). In Chicago from 2/15 to 2/24. Argh...really hope it’s worth the wait

I just used my .68 JAWS plate for the first time with a Derby Premium on one day of growth. The .68 JAWS is noticeably more efficient than the .68 SB. Still being new to open comb, I had a little trouble controlling the .68 JAWS and had some mild irritation. That said, I am really glad I bought it. The efficiency is quite remarkable for the gap. I plan to next use it with two days of growth and to just keep going at it until I learn to control it. I should add that I am now able to comfortably use my .84 SB with a variety of blades on any number of days of growth.

I just used my .68 JAWS plate for the first time with a Derby Premium on one day of growth. The .68 JAWS is noticeably more efficient than the .68 SB. Still being new to open comb, I had a little trouble controlling the .68 JAWS and had some mild irritation. That said, I am really glad I bought it. The efficiency is quite remarkable for the gap. I plan to next use it with two days of growth and to just keep going at it until I learn to control it. I should add that I am now able to comfortably use my .84 SB with a variety of blades on any number of days of growth.

Interesting. So you'd say the .68 JAWS is more aggressive than .84 SB?

For me, the JAWS (or the OC) is just such a different experience than the SB that it is difficult for me to compare the aggressiveness of the .68 JAWS with the .84 SB.

This is how I see it... If you have been using a milder safety bar razor (like an Edwin Jagger DE89, Gillette Tech or Merkur 34C) and want to experience more efficiency, get the .84 SB. If you have been using straight bar razors and want to enter the world of open comb (like me), get the .68 OC or .68 JAWS.

Having both the .84 OC and .84 JAWS, I would say the .84 JAWS is slightly (think a half a notch) more efficient than the .84 OC.

Finally, I suspect that if you ask me the same question in a year from now, my answer will be different - by then I hope to be adept with the open comb razors and the difference between the safety bar and open comb razors is less monumental :). But right now, the JAWS is like riding a wild horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the JAWS (or the OC) is just such a different experience than the SB that it is difficult for me to compare the aggressiveness of the .68 JAWS with the .84 SB.

This is how I see it... If you have been using a milder safety bar razor (like an Edwin Jagger DE89, Gillette Tech or Merkur 34C) and want to experience more efficiency, get the .84 SB. If you have been using straight bar razors and want to enter the world of open comb (like me), get the .68 OC or .68 JAWS.

Having both the .84 OC and .84 JAWS, I would say the .84 JAWS is slightly (think a half a notch) more efficient than the .84 OC.

Finally, I suspect that if you ask me the same question in a year from now, my answer will be different - by then I hope to be adept with the open comb razors and the difference between the safety bar and open comb razors is less monumental :). But right now, the JAWS is like riding a wild horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you forgot to compare the .68 jaws to the .84 jaws.

Today I was shaving with .68OC, which really surprised me. Compared with .68SB, it is not too aggressive and more efficient. Compared with .84SB, it is milder than .84SB and the efficiency is not less than .84SB, but For me, .68OC is more comfortable, so I immediately ordered .68JAWS again, hoping to bring a different experience.

I was in the same boat as a bunch of you, .68 OC and .68 Jaws plates got caught up in Chicago for over a week. They finally arrived yesterday and I used the Jaws this morning.

For reference, I’ve been through every other GC version that was produced previously and used the .84 Jaws and OC as daily razors for 3 or 4 months in late 2019. It was replaced by a CG level 2 (Gen 1) towards the end of December. The .84 OC is the only other razor I held onto other than the Charcoal Goods, which should tell you how much I like the GC line.

I’ve only used it once, so take it for what it’s worth, but I believe the .68 Jaws paired with an Astra SP is the smoothest DE razor I’ve used in 6+ years of wet shaving. Efficiency is almost on par with the .84 Jaws, but I’d say the .68 version is more comfortable than any of the .84 plates. It really impressed me, and I usually prefer more aggressive razors.

I will still give the .68 OC a fair shot, but with my experience using the other GC versions I don’t believe it will suit me better than the Jaws.

This is the .84 Jaws, but they look the same so just use your imagination.
proxy.php

If I love the NEW SC should I get a .68 JAWS or a .68 OC???
I'm so confused....

I don’t think either will remind you of a NEW. But the GC are great in their own right. Speaking for the Jaws since that’s the only of the two I’ve used, it has SLIGHTLY more blade feel but also smoother at the same time. The GCs are really unlike anything else I’ve used in terms of comparisons.

For what it's worth, I used my .68 JAWS for the second time this evening, using a Derby Premium on the right side of my face and a BIC Chrome Platinum on the left side. In all honesty, I did not notice that much of a difference between the two blades as I was shaving and afterward - even though the BIC is clearly sharper - both are very smooth blades.

This evening I played a little game. I tried to imagine that the blade was not actually touching my skin and, lo and behold, I shaved with an extremely light touch and the razor and both blades did their job remarkably well resulting in a very close shave with no irritation.

When experienced shavers recommend using a really light touch, they are not kidding. It's as if the razor just knows what to do.

Anyone have both the .68 Open Comb and .84 Open Comb who can compare the two? I have the .84 OC and love it but wonder if the .68 could be more of a daily driver.

Anyone have both the .68 Open Comb and .84 Open Comb who can compare the two? I have the .84 OC and love it but wonder if the .68 could be more of a daily driver.
I have both but haven’t used the .68 OC yet. I have a fresh Astra SP loaded in it for tomorrow morning. The .84 OC works for me but isn’t the most efficient for my beard IMO, so I am not overly hopeful of the .68. The .68 Jaws, on the other hand, works very well in both comfort and efficiency.

I got mine today. Attempted a head shave 0.68 Jaws. I had a PermaSharp used 2 but grabbed a new USTA (which I normally like). Used AS cream wich is OK'ish, anyway.....this shave was rough.... makes an R41 feel smooth... aborted half way in. Put the permasharp in a 0.84 SB that came today and it was smooth.
Will have to try this Jaws 68 again w a Nacet; I like both the Jaws 84 nd GC OC 84 a lot...; I tend to use them or a Fatip, Karve or R41. Feel frustrated....had great anticipation for a great shave, even more after the 2 week ship delay.

I got mine today. Attempted a head shave 0.68 Jaws. I had a PermaSharp used 2 but grabbed a new USTA (which I normally like). Used AS cream wich is OK'ish, anyway.....this shave was rough.... makes an R41 feel smooth... aborted half way in. Put the permasharp in a 0.84 SB that came today and it was smooth.
Will have to try this Jaws 68 again w a Nacet; I like both the Jaws 84 nd GC OC 84 a lot...; I tend to use them or a Fatip, Karve or R41. Feel frustrated....had great anticipation for a great shave, even more after the 2 week ship delay.
Thank you for posting your experience with the .68 Jaws / PermaSharp combination. That's a bit of a bummer when you wait for something, only to be disappointed once it arrives. Here's to hoping your next shave goes better. It's good to know that you have a nice arsenal of tools at your disposal. I ordered both the OC and Jaws plates for the .68 but they are not due to arrive for 1.5 weeks, or so.

Top Bottom