What's new

Futur clone Ming Shi 2000S

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and I've been really impressed. I can't believe the build quality of this thing, especially for $8.

I'm still fairly new to shaving with a DE(about a year now), but I've found that in order to get a close shave, I need an aggressive razor. I'm shocked when I read that someone could get a BBS on setting 1 in one pass. Don't see how that's possible. But that person may have peach fuzz whiskers, and I don't know, maybe mine are steel or something.

Anyway, I've found that if I start a little more mild on my first pass to shorten them up, then go aggressive on later passes, that's what works best for me. So I have my Ming loaded up with a Feather, I do first pass on 3-4, then crank it all the way up to 6 for the rest. And that gives me my best shaves.

It's already been mentioned, but the only downside I've found with this razor is the bulky size of the head, and getting under the nose is tough. I usually just touch that up with a different razor.

The bait and switch was listed at less than
$3.00 USD , it is highly unlikely that they'll
Send you the correct one at that price.
Please do let us know how that turns out.

I lodged a PayPal dispute tonight ...
I'll never buy fro girlqueen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my current favorite razor (maybe I've said that before), I seem to get the best shaves from it and tend to really enjoy the shaves.

It does seem like I am no longer able to get a good shave on setting 1. That's the setting I started with, but it doesn't seem to work well for me any longer. But I can't imagine that the gap narrowed, so it's probably just me preferring the more aggressive settings.

When I shave with it, I start on 5 for the first pass. I then go to 4 and 3 on subsequent passes, cleaning up with 3. I'm doing the same sort of regressive shaving with my Fatboy and the technique seems to work well there also.

BTW, I tested one of the Ming Shi blades that came with it and it was surprisingly good (someone earlier in this thread recommended it, so thanks!).

Yep, never worried about cutting a finger with a DE razor until I got the Mingshi 2000s. Sure enough, it bit me today.

Also, I agree with the above, it shaves much better than a Fatboy or Slim, in my humble opinion.
Just got mine last night and it bit me this afternoon. Gonna have to be extra careful with this one in the Futur. (see what I did there? :p)

I adjust mine from 5-4-3 each shave but try to remember to wrap the head in a towel each time. I usually remember. Not bit yet.

Mine turns easily, I hold the neck at the index and turn the handle. No risk of cuts.

Just cut and installed some soft copper shims to tighten up the slop in the spring area. No article at all now.

Had my first shave with it this morning and I've gotta say, "Wow." One of the smoothest shaves I've had. My favorite razor used to be a tie between my '56 SuperSpeed and my '60 FatBoy, now it's a three way with the Ming Shi 2000s thrown in. Think I might buy at least two more, one for my brother's Christmas present and an extra for me as a backup.

I picked up some soft copper (.005 thickness) from Hobby Lobby earlier in the week, and had a chance to cut some small insert shims for the handle to base, and in/outside of the tension spring....WOW did it tighten up that bit of movement in the head. The head no longer leans in any direction at all, and the blade now loads totally strait every time. - I tested it 5-6 times, and the blade was level and even side to side, as well as end to end every time.

I'll post a picture or two when I can over the weekend, but the information on doing the mod was right from the custom razor that was PIF'd a month or two ago. Did cleanup pass after several passes with my OB Core (V2) this morning, and that baby now has even more audible feedback.

It does seem like I am no longer able to get a good shave on setting 1. That's the setting I started with, but it doesn't seem to work well for me any longer. But I can't imagine that the gap narrowed, so it's probably just me preferring the more aggressive settings.
Did you ever take the head completely off the handle (not just the top cap)? Because the head can go back on a couple of ways, and the gap will be different.

Hi,

You guys are trouble. I've been happy with the same hand full of razors I've had for a few years. After reading this thread I had to get one.

For $10 delivered, this razor is stupid good. The build quality is excellent and it gives an excellent shave.

The handle shape feels odd. But it does seem to make the smooth handle easier to grip. But after a couple of weeks, it has gotten more comfortable to use.

I think if anyone wants to try an adjustable, this is an easy and inexpensive way to do so.

And the included QShave blades give a quite comfortable shave also. They are marked Made in USA. Don't know if that's true or not.

Bluewing

I'm always skeptical of Chinese knockoffs, but if it shaves as good as a Futur for a quarter of the price that would be an amazing deal!

I picked up some soft copper (.005 thickness) from Hobby Lobby earlier in the week, and had a chance to cut some small insert shims for the handle to base, and in/outside of the tension spring....

Did you find .005" fit ok? Not binding?
Could it be thicker? I'm thinking aluminum from a beer can might work.

Last edited:
I'm always skeptical of Chinese knockoffs, but if it shaves as good as a Futur for a quarter of the price that would be an amazing deal!
I've had the Futur for a few years, and it's always been a favorite of mine. I like the design, because it's simple to pull apart, and will last a lifetime, even after a few knocks. But I also really like the bar design on the Futur....it really exposes you to the blade, but leaving a nice big gap for long hair and cream. The only thing I don't like it for, is under the nose. Everyone's got their own opinions on how to shave with an adjustable, so I'll leave that alone.

I purchased the MingShi because at that price, it's actually cheaper than some disposables. I now use the MingShi more often than the genuine Futur. I like that it's a tad lighter, and that the internal spring is a little softer, so it's easier to adjust. In a blind test, they shave almost identically (the are pretty much the same dimensions). I couldn't say that one is better or worse than the other in terms of performance. The Futur is a little more nicely finished...but the Chinese clones are really not that far off the original, and are still quality items.

Basically the Chinese Futur is a Ford Fairmont
The Merkur Futur is a Ford Fairmont Ghia (same car - leather seats - bigger pricetag)
Neither is a Rover, Austin, Hillman, Land Rover, MG, Jaguar, (insert any other garbage, terribly made British car here)

I've had the Futur for a few years, and it's always been a favorite of mine. I like the design, because it's simple to pull apart, and will last a lifetime, even after a few knocks. But I also really like the bar design on the Futur....it really exposes you to the blade, but leaving a nice big gap for long hair and cream. The only thing I don't like it for, is under the nose. Everyone's got their own opinions on how to shave with an adjustable, so I'll leave that alone.

I purchased the MingShi because at that price, it's actually cheaper than some disposables. I now use the MingShi more often than the genuine Futur. I like that it's a tad lighter, and that the internal spring is a little softer, so it's easier to adjust. In a blind test, they shave almost identically (the are pretty much the same dimensions). I couldn't say that one is better or worse than the other in terms of performance. The Futur is a little more nicely finished...but the Chinese clones are really not that far off the original, and are still quality items.

Basically the Chinese Futur is a Ford Fairmont
The Merkur Futur is a Ford Fairmont Ghia (same car - leather seats - bigger pricetag)
Neither is a Rover, Austin, Hillman, Land Rover, MG, Jaguar, (insert any other garbage, terribly made British car here)
Glad to hear positive comments about it. I'll definitely keep it in mind for futur acquisitions :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad I tried it, but I've taken the thing out of rotation - just too hard to get under nose.

Flatter heads prevail, in my case! :yikes: OLD, NEW, etc.

I liked the blades, though- think I've used them in Tech, etc.

AA

Had a busy day with our networking group, so no pics yet, but yes the 005 thickness fits just fine! No binding, slight amount of wiggling during first assembly, but once the copper forms to the right curvature, just fine. - Don't believe much thicker would fit, the 005 fully fills the slack area.

Couldn't find the 004 thickness, and gambled 005 would fit, which it did.

Pics to follow, probably tomorrow, once we get home.

Top Bottom