What's new

Futur clone Ming Shi 2000S

I'm jumping on board...ordered one from Q-Shave today. This sounds like fun and a very drastic change from vintage Gillettes. The only adjustables I've ever used have been Fatboys and Slims.

People had to apologize me... but I'll risk to say that the MS2000s will be one of the best razors of 2017! All the buzz and acception all over the world will make one of the best razors ever. One of... not the best!

I am absolutely flabbergasted how well mine works, for 9 dollars plus change and a blade, truly one of the best razors I've ever used. I ordered 1 from Italian barber, had a shave, then went online and ordered three more for good measure. It's a shame. I haven't been giving any of my vintage Gillette Razors or my Parker Variant any love as of late. It blows me away how well this razor works. If you are having doubts, don't.

I got my QShave Futur clone today, and even though I had shaved day before yesterday, I had to give it a try. I used my standard Astra SP blade in it, and I must say I got a wonderful, smooth one-pass shave on setting 1. (A note about the adjustment...I assumed that the adjustments would be a click/stop type movement...but the adjustment is incremental from .5 to 6, with no hard stops.) I even got a fairly good shave on my neck, which is my problem area, but to be fair, it was late and I didn't really take the time to do multiple passes on different settings. Another note: when I first started handling the razor out of the box, I was a little worried about how well I could grasp it, since it seemed a little "slick." When I started shaving, though, and my hands got wet, it seemed easier and more secure to grasp. That seems backwards, but it felt secure in my hand and no problems with slipping, etc.

I actually look forward to shaving with this razor again, and trying higher settings and multiple passes.

Ordered my Ming Shi from Maggard a few days ago, and shaved with it for the first time today. This was with two days of growth. For comparison, I've lately been using a 1954 Super Speed flare tip, and I often use a slim Adjustable on 4.

I started out at setting 2, and noticed I was having a hard time keeping the blade edge on my face--the cap would drag on my skin, and I'd have to adjust the angle and try again. I turned it up to 4, and it shaved much more smoothly, finishing my 3-pass shave without incident. It was a closer shave than most, although the large blade gap meant I needed to watch the angle. I did end up with a couple of very minor nicks that I didn't notice until the shave was done. No alignment issues noted.

One cosmetic issue I noticed was a very slight dent in the leading edge on one side of the cap, but it doesn't affect the shave.

I'm thinking this razor will work great for me set on 3 for now, and I'll stick with it for a while. The only place it doesn't work well is under the nose, where the size of the head is problematic. I usually clean up ATG in this area, but the Ming Shi felt very clumsy (hard to get the angle right) when I tried this.

The only place it doesn't work well is under the nose, where the size of the head is problematic. I usually clean up ATG in this area, but the Ming Shi felt very clumsy (hard to get the angle right) when I tried this.

Great review. Thanks. Agreed about the blade gap. It's not for the inattentive, but it's manageable.

The Ming Shi and Futur both have problems getting under my nose WTG too. And I don't do ATG on my upper lip. But I find both razors do really well there XTG. A lot of razors don't.

One thing I forgot to mention...the razor seemed to make a louder than average sound while cutting. I appreciate audible feedback, so I consider this a plus.

I love this razor so much I have a second one on the way. I've never bought a duplicate razor before. This thing has become my exclusive daily shaver. It's that good.

I started out at setting 2, and noticed I was having a hard time keeping the blade edge on my face--the cap would drag on my skin, and I'd have to adjust the angle and try again. I turned it up to 4, and it shaved much more smoothly, finishing my 3-pass shave without incident. It was a closer shave than most, although the large blade gap meant I needed to watch the angle. I did end up with a couple of very minor nicks that I didn't notice until the shave was done. No alignment issues noted.

One cosmetic issue I noticed was a very slight dent in the leading edge on one side of the cap, but it doesn't affect the shave.

I'm thinking this razor will work great for me set on 3 for now, and I'll stick with it for a while. The only place it doesn't work well is under the nose, where the size of the head is problematic. I usually clean up ATG in this area, but the Ming Shi felt very clumsy (hard to get the angle right) when I tried this.

I used mine for the first time yesterday and ran into the same issues. I started at 2.5 and that made it hard to figure out if I had the right angle. I also wound up on 4, with a Treet Black Beauty, and got a pretty close shave given that blade's lack of sharpness. However, I felt the need to shave extremely slowly and carefully with the Ming Shi because of the scary-looking blade gap.

I also thought it felt clumsy -- not just under the nose, but everywhere. The way it is balanced didn't feel quite right in my hand. It actually felt the most comfortable when I was doing a south-to-north pass, with the head below the handle. I'm sure it's something I could get used to with more experience. I am looking forward to trying it with a better blade.

Well, tonight was my second shave with the Ming Shi, this time using an Astra SS blade, and I learned two things:

1. A setting of 4.5 on the Ming Shi is just right for an ATG pass on my face; I wound up with a BBS . . . above the jawline.
2. A setting of 4.5 on the Ming Shi is horrific for an ATG pass on the jawline and neck. Lots of tugging, irritation, and weepers. The result was quite smooth in certain areas of my neck but still a little stubbly in other areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alas I was one of the poor shmucks sent the junk TTO however I have been assured that the correct razor has been sent.... yeah riiiiiiiight. 3 weeks later and it is still a no show.
:001_huh:

Alas I was one of the poor shmucks sent the junk TTO however I have been assured that the correct razor has been sent.... yeah riiiiiiiight. 3 weeks later and it is still a no show.

Make noise. You owe it to your fellow consumers not to take this meekly. Otherwise others will get pulverized on the theory that it pays because no one complains, or doesn't follow through.

Make noise. You owe it to your fellow consumers not to take this meekly. Otherwise others will get pulverized on the theory that it pays because no one complains, or doesn't follow through.

If it doesn't he buy Friday it's a PayPal case and bad feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bait and switch was listed at less than
$3.00 USD , it is highly unlikely that they'll
Send you the correct one at that price.
Please do let us know how that turns out.

Having shaved a half dozen times with this razor, my initial impressions are little changed. To sum up:
  • It feels nicely solid and heavy in the hand, although the handle is longer than I'd prefer.
  • The large blade gap (I settled into a 3.5 setting) makes it efficient, but maintaining the correct angle is not difficult.
  • It's probably the most clog-proof razor I have. All that space under the cap and blade...any amount of hair and soap just comes right out.
  • It is by far the loudest razor I have. I can really hear it cutting.
  • While I prefer a knurled grip, I've had no problem with slipperiness.
  • The large head is only really an issue under the nose. Cleaning up ATG in this area is a must for me, as there are two small areas the razor totally misses otherwise.
Overall, it's already one of my favorite razors, and at the price it's an absolute steal. I expect, though, that switching back to my Weber will feel like switching from driving a pickup truck to a sporty sedan.

While I prefer a knurled grip, I've had no problem with slipperiness.
I was surprised at this too...I really expected the handle to be slippery, but it isn't. I was planning to get some of the grip tape you can buy for a handgun, but I've found I don't need it.

The large head is only really an issue under the nose. Cleaning up ATG in this area is a must for me, as there are two small areas the razor totally misses otherwise.
It hasn't been a problem for me, since I wear a mustache and goatee. If you have a Tech or other thin head type razor, maybe you could use it on those problem areas.

Top Bottom