What's new

Futur clone Ming Shi 2000S

Here's pics of what I did, following Ricksplace's example from his very generous giveaway maybe two months ago. All credit for the idea goes to Ricksplace. (Full disclaimer).

I used a little thicker '.005' stock, which just fits, without binding. That's was also the closest I could source locally. A Huge roll of soft copper stock is like $12 at hobby lobby. I could probably mod a couple hundred razors with this roll.

I cut three strips, one for the handle to head, and two for the blade plate spring. For for the spring, I installed one inside, around the threaded shaft, and a second around the spring compartment. This does fully stabilize the head assembly.

IMG_20170806_174245.jpg IMG_20170806_174227.jpg
IMG_20170806_174218.jpg IMG_20170806_174102.jpg
Hopefully the strips are visible in the photos. I have both the Qshave and a Mingshi, this is the second razor, as I've now modified both. The Mingshi with the imperfections in the head is now my travel razor.

Well done! Excellent pics!
Thanks for spreading the word!
I just measured the thickness of an aluminum beer can. It's about .0045 thick,so it should work as a non-rusting substitute for the copper or brass sheeting. I don't know why I didn't think of a beer can before. Probably because I had some brass shim stock laying around.
The nice thing about this modification is that it takes about 10 minutes, you only have to do it once, and it seems to help alignment problems.

I finally found the courage to try the mingshi blades that came with the razor. All in all, it was a very good surprise. They worked very well; I found them smooth and pretty sharp. I'll try another shave with the blade this week and might order some more if I can find a good deal.

My first shave with my MingShi was with the included blades, which were a pleasant surprise. To me, they sort of feel like a sharper Voskhod blade. Having never shaved with the Personna Reds and other of their overseas blades, I'm wondering if perhaps they're a flavor of Personna....the blades included with the QShave actually read Personna on them.

At USD 6.94 shipped to Sweden, this is the bargain of the decade. With a Croma Diamant this morning... WOW! :shaving:

BBS, no irritation. Nothing but smooth skin. :) 16 hours later, still a decent shave.

I've had my Ming Shi for a couple of months now, and I got a few good shaves out of it. I still have the same problem with blade alignment. I end up with one providing good shaves, and the other side where the blade doesn't touch my face at all. I've tried different tips I see on youtube, but it has required constant adjustment for every shave. Not many complaints on the shave, just a pain in the neck, with so much wiggle and play in the blade.

I must have gotten lucky, as I've had no problems with the blade alingment. Matter of fact, I shaved with it today using a Gillette Russian Platinum blade, the one in the white wrapper that looks like the GSB.
2 passes and a DFS. Didn't like this blade in other razors and love it today.
In six weeks, I've used a GSB, Gillette Sharpedge, Voskhod, 7 o'clock Black, PolSilver & now the Gillette Platinum in the Futur Clone. Except for the GSB, had various results in my other razors. In the Ming Shi, all have given smooth DFS or BBS shave.
Thought this would be a toy to try out...and it's quickly becoming my favorite, beating out my '65 Slim, Schick Krona & Weishi 9306-C.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Well I have been enjoying my Ming Shi a lot but always felt that something was missing. Due to my inexperience, I think I found out today. There is a disproportionate level on both sides. I disassembled and assembled it again but no result.

Pictures do explain better.

@Ricksplace and @cyberdog

Any suggestions guys how to fix this ?

Attachments

• IMG_20180222_001317.jpg
    IMG_20180222_001317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20180222_001313.jpg
    IMG_20180222_001313.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20180222_001308.jpg
    IMG_20180222_001308.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
Turning the cap 180 degrees sometimes works too. Some members say to put the blade on the base and snap on the cap, some say to put the blade on the cap and snap the base onto the cap. Some say different blades align differently. It seems to be a common issue with clones. There are many permutations and combinations to try until you find one that works. Applying shims to remove play in the fit between parts in the razor as described in a few threads here, is another option. Shims are illustrated in the thread "custom clone".

Thank you both @Ricksplace and @cyberdog.

I tried flipping the spring, extending it a bit, but no improvement. During this, my handle fall down on the floor and it was a bit damaged near the screw top part. Nothing major just esthetic damage.

I will try with shims.
I can continue with this razor but somehow I lost a bit my connection with this clone. It is my main razor and I have learned shaving with it. The other razors do not give me the same smooth shave.

I am sceptic to get another clone and thinking about a stainless steel razor that can last.

Thank you both @Ricksplace and @cyberdog.

I tried flipping the spring, extending it a bit, but no improvement. During this, my handle fall down on the floor and it was a bit damaged near the screw top part. Nothing major just esthetic damage.

I will try with shims.
I can continue with this razor but somehow I lost a bit my connection with this clone. It is my main razor and I have learned shaving with it. The other razors do not give me the same smooth shave.

I am sceptic to get another clone and thinking about a stainless steel razor that can last.

Rockwell 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your razor is like my 'spare', where it's sort of close, but not quite. I have both a Ming-Shi and a QShave, and while the QShave aligns darn near perfect every single time, feel & sounds equal side to side, it has a couple of small imperfections along the cap edge. (My guess is they're 'binned' before being finished, as the imperfections are under the paint, plating, or whatever, and the cap edges were ever so slightly distorted). It shaves fine and is only and a cosmetic issue, but it sort of bugs me for a new razor to have them, and the vendor did a partial refund on AliExpress. I subsequently ordered a QShave, which takes a little fiddling to get the blade aligned, and even when it pretty much feels and visually appears close, it sounds different regardless of the blade.

I even tried moving the cap from one to the other, and although they appear identical, doing so made neither one equally align the blade. - Go Figure, the head assemblies seem identical between both of them. For under $10, they both give a nice shave, so the quirky unit is my travel razor, which sure beats loosing my Rockwell or Fat-Boy, and shaves loads better than some $1.50 cheap piece of garbage.

By the way, the Rockwell will load and align the blade perfect just about every single time.

Well guys,. Rockwell is a very good alternative but still 100 usd is more then I have in mind right now. Still this Ming Shi is unbeatable for the price ratio. If someone finds a perfect one, than he should consider himself a bit lucky. I might be trying getting a new one again.

@cyberdog
I will try to add aluminum pieces from a can as you posted in this thread. I hope that would help.

Well guys,. Rockwell is a very good alternative but still 100 usd is more then I have in mind right now. Still this Ming Shi is unbeatable for the price ratio. If someone finds a perfect one, than he should consider himself a bit lucky. I might be trying getting a new one again.

@cyberdog
I will try to add aluminum pieces from a can as you posted in this thread. I hope that would help.

Fendrihan has great Stainless Steel razors also. Under 50$

@ED3054

We want to be fan of Ming Shi, right? :)

By the way, do you have that Fendrihan? What settings in Ming Shi would you put this razor (if you have it)?

I use 2 and 3 in Ming Shi.

My Fendrihan is about a 5 or 6 and I also have a Ming Shi 2000s use it on 5.

Sort of good news. Following the advice of @Ricksplace and the detailed pictures of @cyberdog , I think I have improved a bit the alignment of spring. I added 3 pieces of aluminium like cyberdog did from a cola can.

The bad news is that I have to prove it tomorrow if it works better as a razor. Also, now the settings 1 looks like 3 or 4, because the alignment is a bit higher...

I will update tomorrow. Thank you all for the support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom