What's new

Found my butterscotch beauty, now what kind of knot?

$20111224_152318.jpg

After looking for a nice butterscotch on the bay for a while, I found this beauty at my grandfathers house, along with a few safety razors while looking through some old boxes. I removed the old boar hair, polished it up and am ready to install a new badger hair knot. What knot do you guys think would go best with the butterscotch? Its a 22mm opening so I was planning on a 20mm from TGN.

Black badger looks good but the Finest looks good and is a great knot! I would maybe consider going with a 22mm knot if you have a dremel and open up the hole as needed. Looks like an awsome handle

Ohhh myyy is that a great looking handle! Nice that you got it from your grandfather, too!

I, too, think the finest would be a great knot. I'm on the fence about enlarging the opening. On the one hand, a couple of more mm of finest hair would perform great, but on the other hand, you'd lose a little of the fullness (I erased voluptuousness!) of the upper part of the handle.

Thats one of the best looking butterscotch handles I have even sen, and it was your grandfathers to boot. Nice find. I would go with a TGN Finest. I just restored a handle with a 20mm XH Finest set to 50mm loft and I love it.

Thanks for the all the positive feedback, I am leaning towards the 20mm Finest XH, and was thinking 52-54mm loft to get a little backbone but not too stiff. Heres another pic. $20111224_184139.jpg

That is a beauty :drool: If you want some backbone I would reccomend a 49-51mm loft.
+1 on opening to 22mm and the TGN finest xh. Good luck I can't wait to see it done.

I don't know the manufacturer, there was just a tiny bit of marking left on the top butterscotch part which I removed. I regret not taking pics before the start, it was a mess, covered in soap and the bottom part was so scratched up you could barely see through it. I was excited to see how applying rubbing compound worked its magic. The pictures don't do the handle justice, I will keep you updated with the progress.

In my opinion if you want a good back bone and a good all around brush, for a 20mm XH finest I would set the loft at 50mm. mine is not very stiff.

How about a shot from the top? Might persuade me to vote for the 22mm...

I have an 18mm in a STAR handle and really like that smallish knot. 20mm would be nice.

Last edited:
Very nice handle! A 20mm TGN knot will be too small if the opening is 22mm. I would go with their 22mm Grade A Silvertip Badger, set at 48-50mm. At the most, you may have to increase the opening by 0.5mm. You'll love it! I just used this knot (set at 50mm) in my Ever-Ready #69 (photo attached).

Stu

Attachments

• $ev3.jpg
    $ev3.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 478
I wish I knew the manufacturer. I would guess the year to late 60's or early 70's based on the other gillettes I found with the brush. Thanks for all the input. I don't want to enlarge the opening, if the brush didn't have as much sentimental value I would open it up for a 22mm. I may just have to order 2 knots and see which I like better!

That would probably be your best bet. I would use a dab of RTV silicone to hold the knot in while you are testing them out so that you won't have to destroy the knot when you remove it.

Top Bottom