What's new

Focus Dynamic SE Razor

Guys who have gotten a good shave; do you have any tips?

I feel like my troubles are due to the fact that the blade sits flat against the 'base plate' and there is no vertical gap at all for the hair and the horizontal gap only really occurs where the blade is overhanging the lather channel...the blade edge does not intersect that imaginary plane between the top cap and base plat since the blade edge is flat on the floor.

My Razor.

Dynamic-Mine.PNG

Stock Image.

Dynamic-Stock.PNG

Guys who have gotten a good shave; do you have any tips?

I feel like my troubles are due to the fact that the blade sits flat against the 'base plate' and there is no vertical gap at all for the hair and the horizontal gap only really occurs where the blade is overhanging the lather channel...the blade edge does not intersect that imaginary plane between the top cap and base plat since the blade edge is flat on the floor.

My Razor.

View attachment 812157

Stock Image.

View attachment 812158
Have you contacted the vendor you purchased it from to find out why yours is different? Maybe the pic they have listed was from the R&D stage and it was changed to what you have before being released...

I had my second shave with this razor today, and it was outstanding. I did three things differently to overcome this razor's mild nature and tendency to clog with lather (and therefore to stop cutting):

1. I used a thinner, wetter lather;
2. I rinsed the razor constantly. Probably 3 times more often than usual; and
3. I took advantage of the mild nature of this razor to use lots of fast short strokes, blade buffing as necessary.

I ended up with a super close BBS shave. I was kind of in a hurry, and I knew this razor wouldn't bite me, so I shaved aggressively and quickly, and I was rewarded.

I'm still not crazy about the pivoting head, because I'm not sure that's what traditional wet shaving should be. But I can see a role for this razor: The second shave of the day before going out, when you don't want to spend all evening in the bathroom, get a good shave quickly, and not risk a nick, weeper, or redness. If that sounds to you like the role a cartridge razor might play, yeah, you get why I'm conflicted about this thing.

But my point is this: If a person takes the time to learn how to address this razor's unique requirements, he can get excellent results from it.

Interesting, my top cap is very tight even without a blade.... with a blade it holds so tight that the blade edge sits flat against the razor "base plate" and behind the safety bar so I have zero blade exposure and corresponding zero hairs being cut..... see my pictures above.
Mind you I am absolutely not technical, but I took my loupe, loaded a blade and looked at the razor head. The corner you have pictured at my razor looks like image 2, so not like yours. The other edge does look like your picture. So one side has some space / a small gap (the side on the picture), the other side is resting on the base plate. Hope this helps. My razor does cut.

I had my second shave with this razor today, and it was outstanding. I did three things differently to overcome this razor's mild nature and tendency to clog with lather (and therefore to stop cutting):

1. I used a thinner, wetter lather;
2. I rinsed the razor constantly. Probably 3 times more often than usual; and
3. I took advantage of the mild nature of this razor to use lots of fast short strokes, blade buffing as necessary.

I ended up with a super close BBS shave. I was kind of in a hurry, and I knew this razor wouldn't bite me, so I shaved aggressively and quickly, and I was rewarded.
Followed your advice and with half a Flying Eagle 74s and Biocura Shaving Foam got a very good shave in 2 (WTG and ATG). Much closer than before. Now the razor was "clicking" all the time. I think this is the pivot coming in to action. First pass took away more stubble than before. Still feeling my face, but the shave is getting close to my GEMs.

As 'GloryUprisig' noted in his post #90, his razor has no "step down" in the lower plate to create a gap. Guys that are getting good shaves with this razor, does your razor have a step down gap?
Is this problem real or not?

As 'GloryUprisig' noted in his post #90, his razor has no "step down" in the lower plate to create a gap. Guys that are getting good shaves with this razor, does your razor have a step down gap?
Like I said I have it on 1 side. So I would like to know if Spencer perhaps has it on the other edge, as if important at all, only one seems necessary.

And you Ron, do you have it on either side?

Like I said I have it on 1 side. So I would like to know if Spencer perhaps has it on the other edge, as if important at all, only one seems necessary.

And you Ron, do you have it on either side?

Nope. Don't have it on either side.

----

This razor is VERY counter intuitive to everything we've been taught using a 'Regular' DE. You can't ride the top cap and angle down to get a cut. You MUST apply pressure. Both NO NO for DE shaving.

However... When I ended up having the handle nearly parallel to my neck and applying pressure I got a passable shave. It was never 'rough' but you definitely feel when the blade and pivot 'engages'; but even then it feels like your running a straight rounded piece of metal over your skin and not a blade. I also experienced success buffing a lot and using a thinner/slicker lather (in this case Nivea in a metal tube, not avail in the USA anymore but can be obtained from our friends up north) which minimized clogging since the lather channels are so small.

In the end, the shave was comfortable and once I got it to start 'working' it was a fun and interesting shave. It definitely was not BBS but was very solid DFS+. Passed alum block test without any major stinging, but there was definitely a slight tingle which I was surprised about considering how mild the razor is.

I think this wont be a normal everyday-grab-it-the-house-is-on-fire razor (I think that would go to my polished blackbird or BBS-1). But it is a VERY good 'finishing' or 'touch up' razor since you can be a little aggressive with the pressure without worrying about getting razor burn.

I would like to note that Jarrod @ TSS has been very communicative and responsive to my inquiries and gave some great advice that allowed me to get to where I am today with the razor. A message will be sent to the folks at Focus, but being Italians, they are on holiday until September.

Nope. Don't have it on either side.

----

This razor is VERY counter intuitive to everything we've been taught using a 'Regular' DE. You can't ride the top cap and angle down to get a cut. You MUST apply pressure. Both NO NO for DE shaving.

However... When I ended up having the handle nearly parallel to my neck and applying pressure I got a passable shave. It was never 'rough' but you definitely feel when the blade and pivot 'engages'; but even then it feels like your running a straight rounded piece of metal over your skin and not a blade. I also experienced success buffing a lot and using a thinner/slicker lather (in this case Nivea in a metal tube, not avail in the USA anymore but can be obtained from our friends up north) which minimized clogging since the lather channels are so small.

In the end, the shave was comfortable and once I got it to start 'working' it was a fun and interesting shave. It definitely was not BBS but was very solid DFS+. Passed alum block test without any major stinging, but there was definitely a slight tingle which I was surprised about considering how mild the razor is.

I think this wont be a normal everyday-grab-it-the-house-is-on-fire razor (I think that would go to my polished blackbird or BBS-1). But it is a VERY good 'finishing' or 'touch up' razor since you can be a little aggressive with the pressure without worrying about getting razor burn.

I would like to note that Jarrod @ TSS has been very communicative and responsive to my inquiries and gave some great advice that allowed me to get to where I am today with the razor. A message will be sent to the folks at Focus, but being Italians, they are on holiday until September.
Glad it works for you now, even without a gap on one side ;-) Perhaps I had the advantage of having a OB Core V1, so I am used to pushing on the razor. My biggest problem was the loading of the blades, but that is ok now. For me it will be an every day razor. The OB Core will be sold.

Next year September:001_302:

HAHA! Certainly feels that way!

Glad it works for you now, even without a gap on one side ;-) Perhaps I had the advantage of having a OB Core V1, so I am used to pushing on the razor. My biggest problem was the loading of the blades, but that is ok now. For me it will be an every day razor. The OB Core will be sold.

Really? Perhaps give the Genesis a try. The core and genesis feels different (I have both.... The core went to my dad now).

The OB Genesis is my 'oh $hit I need to shave fast and good yesterday' razor. My major gripe is the almost propriety blade it uses now that OB has exclusive distributing rights in the USA. Good thing I got my master pack before all the silliness. Could not imagine paying almost a buck a blade.

Now that I think about it, I never really got a full BBS shave with the OB.... perhaps that's just at thing with pivot head razors....

Really? Perhaps give the Genesis a try. The core and genesis feels different (I have both.... The core went to my dad now).

The OB Genesis is my 'oh $hit I need to shave fast and good yesterday' razor. My major gripe is the almost propriety blade it uses now that OB has exclusive distributing rights in the USA. Good thing I got my master pack before all the silliness. Could not imagine paying almost a buck a blade.

Now that I think about it, I never really got a full BBS shave with the OB.... perhaps that's just at thing with pivot head razors....
I am not in the US. Getting a Genesis would cost me about 510 usd, and then I would have to buy the blades at about a dollar each. No, my one and only pivot will be the R 48. Besides, the Genesis is not a barber razor, so I am not interested ;-)

I like the concept of a razor that uses a half DE blade.

Modern SE that uses halved DE blades

After reading the above thread I have been looking for that half blade TTO on Page 1 for quite a while without success.
I had felt that a properly designed half blade DE razor would have better alignment precision & would also be able to give better rigidity to a properly bent half DE blade.
But neither the Rocnel SE-P or this Focus Dynamic SE seem to bend the blade at all.
IMHO a slight bend is a must , both for rigidity & to prevent chatter.
The Oneblade ran into the problems that a unbent blade can have - the smiling blade issue.
The Focus SE does take advantage of the alignment/precision benefits offered by using the tab cut outs to align the blade, but without a slightly bent blade, I think it is not taking full advantage of all the possible benefits of the half blade format.

Last edited:
I like the concept of a razor that uses a half DE blade.

Modern SE that uses halved DE blades

After reading the above thread I have been looking for that half blade TTO on Page 1 for quite a while without success.
I had felt that a properly designed half blade DE razor would have better alignment precision & would also be able to give better rigidity to a properly bent half DE blade.
But neither the Rocnel SE-P or this Focus Dynamic SE seem to bend the blade at all.
IMHO a slight bend is a must , both for rigidity & to prevent chatter.
The Oneblade ran into the problems that a unbent blade can have - the smiling blade issue.
The Focus SE does take advantage of the alignment/precision benefits offered by using the tab cut outs to align the blade, but without a slightly bent blade, I think it is not taking full advantage of all the possible benefits of the half blade format.
As you can see on my avatar, the blade in the Rocnel is bent / blade part is slightly curved. I think the Focus uses tension and the bent tabs to get this effect.

As you can see on my avatar, the blade in the Rocnel is bent / blade part is slightly curved. I think the Focus uses tension and the bent tabs to get this effect.
Yes, the bend's clear on the Rocnel.
I'm not sure about the bent tabs.
I suspect that they are used as a tensioning feature, certainly, but I am not convinced of its effect on blade rigidity for chatter prevention. I could be wrong, though.

Unevenly snapped halfblades will have different levels of tension for each when loaded. This is not good design, & it makes me suspect that it was not planned for in the design & is an unintended accidental feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom