What's new

Focus Dynamic SE Razor

I saw a post today on FB today and thought it was interesting. Is there anyone here that either has one or has ordered one? I found it at The Superior Shave. It uses one side of a DE blade thats snapped in half. Its $58 shipped or $79 w/ the stand.
proxy.php

A true Italian engineering marvel, the Focus Dynamic SE Razor is an entirely unique entry in the safety razor world. This razor's made of anodized aluminum and takes one half of a conventional double-edge safety razor blade, thus providing the ubiquity of the DE blade to fuel it the mechanical advantages of the SE razor systems; there's no expensive proprietary marriage to some fancy blade here, buy whatever you like wherever you please! The Focus Dynamic has a spring-mounted head which keeps the blade's angle of incidence to skin at a precise 25° as you move it about your face; the stretching bar is far ahead and rather high, but because of the spring you will get a shave that is both close and mild all at once, which is the true pinnacle of achievement that all safety razors should aspire. It is not stroke-for-stroke efficient such as the remarkable Mühle "R41" with its 'tooth comb' (to name but one startlingly-powerful-by-the-stroke entry in the elite of DE shaving options), but if given time to move across each area of the skin in a few different angles this razor can achieve irritation-free closeness like few others. It will behoove you to experiment with many different brands of double edge blades, and if you have a favorite blade that is perhaps a bit too harsh with some of your razors you've tried that blade will perform quite differently here. To wit, the author here has bore down with inadvisable pressure using Russian-manufactured blades which are always bitingly sharp, and not once received the proper penalty for those foolhardy ways.

Available with or without its dedicated stand (108g, 60x40x20mm, 100% aluminum) - which itself aids in your loading/exchange of blades due to the way it holds the head put.

A strange drawback from the author's view; as with the aforementioned Mühle I have found reduced lifespan of the maximum efficiency of my blades in the Focus Dynamic, but as you're also only using one half of one double-edge blade with the other side remaining completely free of water interaction until you make the exchange, in the net this razor is really not burning through blades as some really cool stuff on the market nowadays is wont to do.

For me, in the world of SE, DE blades don't compete and shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence!

My top DE razor was the NEW SC, it simply doesn't measure up to a GEM razor with the GEM SS PTFE blade. A SE razor shouldn't use a DE blade...period...

For me, in the world of SE, DE blades don't compete and shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence!

My top DE razor was the NEW SC, it simply doesn't measure up to a GEM razor with the GEM SS PTFE blade. A SE razor shouldn't use a DE blade...period...
I agree 100%.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've also been watching this razor - I know the SE purists will turn their nose up at it, but I was thinking it might be nice to give to the girlfriend, or as a travel razor (looks more like a cartridge razor so perhaps there is less chance of being hassled about it by airline security). I'm very happy with what I've got, but I didn't think that this was a bad idea, and am curious to hear what someone who isn't selling the razor has to say about it.

I'm also curious to know if there is an Italian vendor/seller for this razor?

I think it's a cool idea. After all, there are shavettes that use half DE blades--in fact this company makes one too.
I still like carts on rushy days and for travel, so this appeals to that aspect in me, kind of like the One Blade but with more blade choices and not quite as pricey (at least for the Genesis model).

I'd looked at it and the whole base stand load and unload the blade thing is interesting but for the price I'd rather put the money into a modern or vintage razor that's on my bucket list. So it's a no go for me.

I saw a post today on FB today and thought it was interesting. Is there anyone here that either has one or has ordered one? I found it at The Superior Shave. It uses one side of a DE blade thats snapped in half. Its $58 shipped or $79 w/ the stand.
proxy.php

A true Italian engineering marvel, the Focus Dynamic SE Razor is an entirely unique entry in the safety razor world. This razor's made of anodized aluminum and takes one half of a conventional double-edge safety razor blade, thus providing the ubiquity of the DE blade to fuel it the mechanical advantages of the SE razor systems; there's no expensive proprietary marriage to some fancy blade here, buy whatever you like wherever you please! The Focus Dynamic has a spring-mounted head which keeps the blade's angle of incidence to skin at a precise 25° as you move it about your face; the stretching bar is far ahead and rather high, but because of the spring you will get a shave that is both close and mild all at once, which is the true pinnacle of achievement that all safety razors should aspire. It is not stroke-for-stroke efficient such as the remarkable Mühle "R41" with its 'tooth comb' (to name but one startlingly-powerful-by-the-stroke entry in the elite of DE shaving options), but if given time to move across each area of the skin in a few different angles this razor can achieve irritation-free closeness like few others. It will behoove you to experiment with many different brands of double edge blades, and if you have a favorite blade that is perhaps a bit too harsh with some of your razors you've tried that blade will perform quite differently here. To wit, the author here has bore down with inadvisable pressure using Russian-manufactured blades which are always bitingly sharp, and not once received the proper penalty for those foolhardy ways.

Available with or without its dedicated stand (108g, 60x40x20mm, 100% aluminum) - which itself aids in your loading/exchange of blades due to the way it holds the head put.

A strange drawback from the author's view; as with the aforementioned Mühle I have found reduced lifespan of the maximum efficiency of my blades in the Focus Dynamic, but as you're also only using one half of one double-edge blade with the other side remaining completely free of water interaction until you make the exchange, in the net this razor is really not burning through blades as some really cool stuff on the market nowadays is wont to do.

Thanks for posting this. I love new gadgets and this looks interesting. It flew under my radar. I might give this a shot this winter when I have some free time just to try it. The cost of entry isn't bad and it's quite unique. Whether it should be classified as a DE or SE....who cares, lol.

Finally a new de razor with a spring pivot is available. I was waiting forever for the Beluga razor to be available just for this type of razor. Now all I need is a dedicated spring pivot razor using GEM blades!!!

I think their are a number of things unique about it and may try one.
I would like to know how much blade feel their is. The pivot doesn't bother me as I am skilled enough to shave with or without a pivot.

Someone hurry up and buy one so we know how aggressive this thing is.

I think their are a number of things unique about it and may try one.
I would like to know how much blade feel their is. The pivot doesn't bother me as I am skilled enough to shave with or without a pivot.
Someone hurry up and buy one so we know how aggressive this thing is.

I know I could shave with it, I just don't think I would like the pivot. To boring.

Last edited:
Now all I need is a dedicated spring pivot razor using GEM blades!!!
It's called a OneBlade Core! For the week I spent with the v1 and another week with the v2, I never broke open the Feather FHS blades and used exclusively despined and notched Gem blades. The v2 was an excellent shaver, so good that I returned it because it took the challenge out of shaving.

It's called a OneBlade Core! For the week I spent with the v1 and another week with the v2, I never broke open the Feather FHS blades and used exclusively despined and notched Gem blades. The v2 was an excellent shaver, so good that I returned it because it took the challenge out of shaving.

That for me was the main problem with the OneBlade. It kind of took the fun out of shaving. This one I think would be the same way. I'm sure it will be a great razor for some guys.

After what I said, "that it might be boring", it still would be fun to try it. And the price is not bad. I might try it yet.

So has anybody actually shaved with the Focus Dynamic yet to give a report?
The Focus Slim shavette on which the head design is based is absolutely magnificent but I am put off the Dynamic by the suggestion from the vendor in the OP that it is very very mild.
I'd like to hear from someone who's used it to confirm or deny this.

Also I don't know why people get so snotty about DE blades - the Shakesharp is one of the greatest shavers of all time and that was an SE using DE blades, and the Rocnel P wasn't bad either (but again a bit mild)

And the DE blade shavettes are often looked down on too but they give a quality of shave second to none - some people seem to resent the fact that a $10 razor can shave as well as a $300 one.
And don't get me wrong, it's really nice to have a beautiful $300 razor as long as you realise that it doesn't give a better shave just a better overall experience!

Mine arrive yesterday. Used it on half of my face.
I hope you won't mind if I copy and paste my thoughts from a different forum, as it was a rather lengthy post, comparing Rockwell 6C with #6 plate with the Focus R48:

Used the #6 plate using my usual tweak for this head type, although I don't think it was even necessary. The tweak is to pull the blade against the top cap slightly to make it more curved when screwing on the handle. Makes the blade a bit stiffer and curves it so it's a bit milder.

Anyway, #6 felt very mild, but was also very efficient. I rode the top cap for the most part, except on the neck, where I need to fluff the hair a bit with a bar/comb before a blade gets to it.
The R48 actually felt almost same, although it handled quite differently.

At the end of the shave, after two ATG passes on each side plus minor touch-ups, my face felt smooth and, frankly, great. :-D
No irritation from either of the razors, even though I overshaved with the R48, playing with it, really, so had a couple of tiny red dots on the chin from that. My mistake entirely. Just wanted to get the best feel for the razor. I felt the 6C was more efficient, but then I didn't really experiment with it the way I did with the R48.

Tried the R48 on the back side of my neck and it went great. Haven't tried the 6C due to tabs being exposed on the sides and I have a bunch of moles there that could get some damage from a tab, particularly as Kais have them sharp on edges.

Overall, however, I'd say the 6C #6 and the R48 are about on par. Extremely comfortable, very efficient and I had a lovely, easy shave from both. Both are pretty much what I had hoped the OneBlade Core would be for me.

The rest of the gear for today's shave
- Kai SS blade, new one for each razor
- Omega S10108 (acquired last week) - first shave with it, too, and very happy with it as well
- Godrej soap

Prep
- rinsed face with water
- washed with Godrej

Lather
A bit thinner, but still fluffy.

Note
Cold water only during the whole shave. Rinsed face with water between passes.

Top Bottom