What's new

Focus Dynamic SE Razor

I had my first shave today with this razor and my first shave with a non disposable razor. I would say mixed results.

1. The Superior Shave did a great job of getting this out quickly. They were good responding to my questions as well. So a high customer service rating to TSS.

2. Blade loading is easy. I had no trouble snapping the blade, removing or replacing the cap, positioning the half blade, or getting the blade to sit evenly when closed. My work demands a lot of sensitivity in my hands, so maybe it is easier for me than some guys. But no problem at all.

3. The shave itself was not so successful. I watched the videos and practiced with the unloaded razor a bit. I decided to use the Turkish Lords blade, a very mild blade, for my first try, to reduce the chance of butchery.

In practice I found that getting the right angle was often difficult. That is expected for the first time I suppose. It was very difficult in many places, almost impossible, and not just under the nose. The chin and below were problems.

I got a good bit of irritation, something I was trying to avoid. There was some non cutting and some pulling. Not real comfortable.

4. The shave took forever, but it was my first time.

5. There were times when I got everything right. Cap was right, pivot engaged, etc. Those times the result was beautiful. I just have to make those good times more frequent, if it is possible. I am not sure it is though. The razor head is big and the technique required may not be possible in all areas of the face. I am not giving up at all. Not yet. I will keep thinking it through and experimenting.

6. No nicks. No cuts. No blood. That is good news.

Anyway, I'll give it a few more tries and keep rubbing aloe on my face. I suspect I will be paying for this for a day or two.

Give it some time. With a new razor, it always takes time and experimentation to find out how to best use it on each part of your face. I was like you when I first started using it but after a few weeks I could honestly say that I was getting as good or better a shave on every part of my face and neck than any of the DEs and SEs I had used previously. It does require a different technique than pretty much every other style of razor out there.

Finished my fifth shave with the Focus this morning. Things have gotten much better. If the first shave was 30% successful then the fifth was probably 70%. Not there yet, but much better. The best analogy i heard here was comparing learning to use the Focus to learning to use a manual transmission.

I was wondering though, where is the designer? Where is Focus? with such an unusual design I would think the company would be out front with videos and articles explaining how to best use the razor. I haven't seen anything. The Superior Shave has done some good work here but the videos aren't as clear as they might be. I think I see most people on youtube using this the wrong way, so someone with direct knowledge of its proper use should step in and set everything straight.

Also, I have found it true that this razor does poorly with mild blades and much better with sharper ones. i will try the KAi or Feather next.

From what I remember the guy that designed it was from Superior shave and the video's used to be on the product page where you buy the razor. It looks like their site has changed since last I looked but here is the guy that designed it doing a shave video...
A couple others...

muzichead,

I am 99% certain that Jarrod, from the Superior Shave, who did those videos, didn't design this razor but only sells it. His videos have been the most helpful thing i have seen so far but still I wonder why Focus hasn't been more active in instructing people how to use this strange but interesting design.

muzichead,

I am 99% certain that Jarrod, from the Superior Shave, who did those videos, didn't design this razor but only sells it. His videos have been the most helpful thing i have seen so far but still I wonder why Focus hasn't been more active in instructing people how to use this strange but interesting design.
From what I recall, the guy in the 1st video was the guy that designed the razor. I think his name was Dan Skinner. I certainly could be wrong though...

Last edited:
From what I recall, the guy in the 1st video was the guy that designed the razor. I think his name was Dan Skinner. I certainly could be wrong though...
Interesting - Focus is an Italian company and I’d always assumed that the designer of the outstanding Focus Slim was the same person who designed the Focus Dynamic and that they were Italian...

Interesting - Focus is an Italian company and I’d always assumed that the designer of the outstanding Focus Slim was the same person who designed the Focus Dynamic and that they were Italian...
Like I said, I certainly could be wrong here but I remember 2 different video's from the guy I posted in the 1st video above with 1 video being a demo and shave from the prototype and the 2nd being the last revision with the adjustable pins and a shave but can't find either of those now. They were posted on the Superior site on the R48 sale page but now their gone...

Any more updates @Sketcher? Curious on how you are progressing with the Focus.

I had my seventh shave yesterday. Turns out it was the best yet by far. Practically zero irritation, which was a big problem before. I wished I had videotaped the whole thing because i am not totally sure what i did. I think backing off the pressure a good bit helped as well as being more mindful of how i took the corners and angles around the jaw line.

I still am spending more time shaving than I had hoped. I was hoping the Focus would be my razor for when I need to shave and get out quickly. I bought a DE for long shave sessions. If I can't speed up my work with the Focus I may get a OneBlade for that purpose or the Broman.

So, I can say that before yesterday I was sticking with the Focus mostly out of faith. Now I am certain there is something to this razor.

Dan Skinner is the guy supposedly behind the supposed Broman razor which is actually on Indiegogo and was supposed to come out months ago but now supposedly is coming out in April. I suppose he could have been behind the Focus Dynamic as well.

I had my seventh shave yesterday. Turns out it was the best yet by far. Practically zero irritation, which was a big problem before. I wished I had videotaped the whole thing because i am not totally sure what i did. I think backing off the pressure a good bit helped as well as being more mindful of how i took the corners and angles around the jaw line.

I still am spending more time shaving than I had hoped. I was hoping the Focus would be my razor for when I need to shave and get out quickly. I bought a DE for long shave sessions. If I can't speed up my work with the Focus I may get a OneBlade for that purpose or the Broman.

So, I can say that before yesterday I was sticking with the Focus mostly out of faith. Now I am certain there is something to this razor.
I find that you only need enough pressure so that the pivot engages. And less than you see some of the videos claiming you need.

I also find that, now that I am used to it, it is a speedier razor than a DE; which I think is because I don't have to worry about keeping the right angle as I navigate the contours. The exception is when there is significant growth. I used my iKon X3 today because it mows down multi-day growth like nobody's business. But when I am doing daily shaving, I find the Focus faster than the X3.

I mostly see the Focus Dynamic R48 in shops and reviews. Recently I saw the R50 (priced considerably higher than the R48 version) for sale but I did not find any reviews or detailed specifications for it.
Does anyone have an idea what the exact differences are with the R48 or does anyone have experience with this R50 version? The only thing I noticed on the photos I saw are: a slightly differently shaped head and a wider handle.
I can imagine that an altered head shape might have a significant effect on its performance.

I mostly see the Focus Dynamic R48 in shops and reviews. Recently I saw the R50 (priced considerably higher than the R48 version) for sale but I did not find any reviews or detailed specifications for it.
Does anyone have an idea what the exact differences are with the R48 or does anyone have experience with this R50 version? The only thing I noticed on the photos I saw are: a slightly differently shaped head and a wider handle.
I can imagine that an altered head shape might have a significant effect on its performance.
The R50 is the Stainless version and why it has a much higher price tag...

Top Bottom