What's new

Focus Dynamic SE Razor

For people arguing that it's not a true SE razor and that a DE blade can't provide a great shave, say that to the Turkish, Indian, etc. barbers who routinely use half a DE blade to provide some of the greatest shaves a person can get. I understand that there's something 'special' or 'fulfilling' about using a straight or a finely machined piece of metal like a feather pro guard blade. But most of that is just mental and a half snapped Derby in the hands of a master will outshine a feather pro guard or straight razor in the hands of a commoner.
I absolutely agree!
DE blades can give magnificent shaves when the geometry of the razor and the technique of the user are good.
This is why I love shavettes so much.

And my Shavecraft Tech with a 7 O'Clock Yellow easily gives as good a shave as my Asylum Rx with a Kai Pink and that is that!

I honestly think that Feather must have conned the OneBlade designers into making a razor which exclusively uses their really-not-very-good SE blades.

The Focus Dynamic's ability to use DE blades is actually one of its great strengths.

I absolutely agree!
DE blades can give magnificent shaves when the geometry of the razor and the technique of the user are good.
This is why I love shavettes so much.

And my Shavecraft Tech with a 7 O'Clock Yellow easily gives as good a shave as my Asylum Rx with a Kai Pink and that is that!

I honestly think that Feather must have conned the OneBlade designers into making a razor which exclusively uses their really-not-very-good SE blades.

The Focus Dynamic's ability to use DE blades is actually one of its great strengths.
Yes, if the sole benefit someone is looking for in changing from carts or electric to wet shaving is cost (not aesthetics or nostalgia or "manliness") is to save money and improve their skin condition, this is the best so far that I have encountered.

proxy.php

08/28/2017
Rocnel SE-P razor VS Focus Dynamic
Using the same blade cut in half in each razor for me there is no difference.

Another great shave from the Dynamic and I'm discovering that quite unlike the OneBlade, the Focus actually gives superior results with NO PRESSURE!

With the OneBlade pressure is essential to get a decent shave so I'd assumed this was the case with the Dynamic also.
But no no no! The Dynamic gives a beautiful result with the same kind of ZERO PRESSURE technique that I use with all my other Safety razors.
What a relief to return to some established technique.
I am loving the Focus Dynamic more with every day that passes :)
IMG_8926.JPG

Last week I've bought a Dynamic Foucs razor, and after a few shaves I'm quite happy with it.
Good grip on the aluminum satin finish, easy to use, an accurate if not aggressive shave.
You get little feedback from the razor while shaving (with an Astra SP, at least) but it does shave mind you... Lesson learned: don't overdo, it's shaving!
Pros: comfortable yet accurate shave, anyone used to cart razors can use it pronto
Cons: little feedback while shaving, the head shape/angle makes it difficult to reach some areas, it clogs some on a drier lathe.

Not quite sure how this works but the less pressure I use the more aggressive the Dynamic becomes.
And I easily shaved ATG on the upper lip.
Now that's incredible!
IMG_8934.JPG

Not quite sure how this works but the less pressure I use the more aggressive the Dynamic becomes.
And I easily shaved ATG on the upper lip.
Now that's incredible!
I have made this my go to razor for now.
I have put it aside to go through the rest of my razors now.
I was wondering do you bin the blade after one shave or do you get more shaves out of it?
I got enough shaves from one Feather to stop for now.
I still have the other half waiting until I get back to the Focus..... or maybe I will use it up in the Rocnel SE-P before I sell it.
Ron

I have made this my go to razor for now.
I have put it aside to go through the rest of my razors now.
I was wondering do you bin the blade after one shave or do you get more shaves out of it?
I got enough shaves from one Feather to stop for now.
I still have the other half waiting until I get back to the Focus..... or maybe I will use it up in the Rocnel SE-P before I sell it.
Ron
I've been going for two shaves per half-blade (i.e. four shaves from each full DE blade).
How many shaves do you get from your Feather blade?
I'm sure very sharp blades are the way to go in the Dynamic.

I think that Feather blades are not the sharpest from what others say.
I would liked to know what others think are the sharpest.
I'm not sure how many good shaves I can get from one.
I have been doing a Focus vs Rocnel SE-P with new blades each time.
I'm pretty sure I could get at least 10 shaves if not more from one side with out flipping the blade.
I did try flipping the blade a couple of times with it just playing around for fit.
Now my razor is all scratched up on the inside from the tabs.
I won't do that again.
Ron

From what I've read you're not supposed to flip the half blade in this focus razor, it seems to be engineered for the half-blade to be loaded with the bent parts pointing up (toward the cap cover, that is)
When i tried to load the half blade with the bent parts pointing down, it was moving around quite a lot while locking the cap. Go figure...
Ah, I'm getting a couple shaves per (half) blade, with Astra SP's
Will try it with feathers next week
To me this razor excels ATG, a close yet comfortable shave indeed

For me there is one DE blade to rule them all: the Kai.
It's sharper, thicker and wider than your average DE blade.
But the extra width of the Kai blade messes with the geometry of the Dynamic (which surely shows to what tight tolerances it is made).
With the wider half-Kai in it the Dynamic becomes very aggressive. It has a tendency to dig in and the head snaps back so it actually requires negative pressure.
What an amazing shave though!
IMG_8939.JPG

And look I love this razor so much that I bought the stand!!

It comes in the same snazzy packaging as the rest of the new Focus range and there's a recess in the base which acts as a tool to hold the cap in place when changing blades.
Awesome!
IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8938.JPG

Is that a Boston terrier, rabbit or cat that is your avatar?
I really like the Focus but I just shaved with a 100 plus year old razor and blade while not near what my Focus produces,
it wasn't far off.
Hard to believe that they were getting this kind of results and still the came out with cartridges.
Ron

Fair comment!
I stand corrected and will rephrase as "sharper, equally as thick as the other thickest blades, and wider than your average blade"

That extra width really does mess with the Dynamic's geometry though, just like putting a Pro Super in the Asylum Rx or the Razorock Hawk does.

I believe the Personna is .006 thick whereas most blades are .004 thick. I would guess the KAI is .006. That's what I read on another thread.

I believe the Personna is .006 thick whereas most blades are .004 thick. I would guess the KAI is .006. That's what I read on another thread.

Personna blades "were" .006" thick. AFAIK all modern blades are .004" thick, give or take, including Kai blades. @ShavingByTheNumbers measured the Kai blade and I could measure one again and take a picture if you want!

My Kai blades are .004" thick! My calipers measures to within a half ten thousandth of an inch. So they are between .0035" and .004", no where near .006".

IMAG0485_1.jpg

Is that a Boston terrier, rabbit or cat that is your avatar?
I really like the Focus but I just shaved with a 100 plus year old razor and blade while not near what my Focus produces,
it wasn't far off.
Hard to believe that they were getting this kind of results and still the came out with cartridges.
Ron
That's Dexter when he was a puppy in my Avatar.
He's a Cairn/Westie terrier cross and a very good lad!

And I agree that perfection in shaving was reached a long time ago.
As far as actual shave quality goes, they might as well have stopped in the 1920's with the Gillette New Improved DE and the ER 1924 SE and the Bengall straights - nothing has ever shaved better than them and nothing ever will.

The Focus Dynamic and the OneBlade are definitely a new generation of safety razors - Pivoting Head replaceable blade and that's exciting!

My Kai blades are .004" thick! My calipers measures to within a half ten thousandth of an inch. So they are between .0035" and .004", no where near .006".

View attachment 817800
Ha ha - given the very tight tolerances of the Focus head I was wondering if the Kai would fit since I thought it was thicker.

Now that I have been relieved of my misconception, it's probably a good thing that all the blades are ~0.004 since this means that they will all fit.

So I guess you are saying the Personna blades are no longer .006 thick? Good to know.
Thanks for the info.
I thought it was the Med Preps which were thicker.
So are you saying there are two versions of the Med Prep, one of which is 0.006" and the other is 0.004"??

Top Bottom