What's new

Focus Dynamic SE Razor

I had only used mine a couple of times when I got it, it was then left abandoned in the back of a drawer. Dug it out again this week, and have had two great shaves over the last few days. I still find the blade loading to be very fiddly, and I feel like I have to be constantly rinsing it, but it does deliver on the shave front.

Sent from my XT1685 using Tapatalk
I've tried it probably 7 or 8 different times... Including my last two shaves (last one I had to stop in the middle of the first pass as it did a number on my neck). I just can't get a consistent comfortable shave with it and it's very frustrating!! I may be passing it on. My beard is very coarse.

Josh

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

I purchased a used (one time) one from ebay. First time using I tried the "place on face and move the handle" technique touted in a video. Didn't work for me. Second time, was much better though I got some razor burn (Astra blades). Third time was great! I used the "hear the hairs getting cut method" I have a tough beard and the angle gets correct just by the cutting pressure of the blade on the hairs. I use "with the grain" on my head and back of the neck . Just one pass works for me. I use "against the grain" on my face and front of the neck. Just one pass works on most areas for me. Sometimes a second pass is needed in some areas.

I am very pleased with this razor so far. I would suggest that since not everyone's beard is the same that each person try different "techniques" in holding, placement, and pressure when using this razor. I believe that a shave to one's liking is attainable by figuring out what works best for you. Following a "the way to shave" video with this razor does not fit everyone.

So far Ive found that bolding the razor closer to tne head and like a tripod (like your holding a fountain pen) works for me. I did notice that Astra SP. Lades didnt sit as good as Personna blades regardless of how I playing with the head. I do give the head a little tap on a flat and nard surface just before the final tighten of the parts. So far Ive had both BBS and regular DFS.

After a few days of farking around with getting the blade in correctly, I resorted to scotch tape. A small piece in the middle of the blade works perfectly. Goodbye frustration :)

This is my go-to daily shaver. I can't beat the combination of quality of shave and lack of irritation with any other of my razors when I am looking to get out the door and off to work. 2 passes and touch ups and I am gone.

Like many others, I found the blade loading fiddly and almost dangerous but now that I am used to it I don't seem to have any problems with alignment or seating. I do snap off the side tabs as well after snapping the blade in half; seems to make the whole loading process easier and the blade still stays put.

Where this does fall down a bit for me is when I have more than a couple of days of growth. Not that the razor can't handle it but there are many more strokes and lots of rinsing required. I usually break out the Ikon X3 when I need to mow down a few days growth.

My recommendation is to give this razor some time. It does take different technique than your standard DEs and cartridges. But once you figure it out, it's great. At least for me.

One more thing. This razor does clog easier than others (hence my X3 when the going gets thick). So I recommend keeping your lather sloppy and slick.

From watching the videos online, there seems to be a problem fitting this under the nose. Even the Superior Shave guy was unable to get it to work correctly in his demo video. Is this a serious problem? Does the pivot still work in tight spaces?

Works fine for me; better than my DE. Not quite as good as my injector but totally acceptable. You just need to start the stroke with the pivot engaged rather than relying on friction to engage it as you move.

From watching the videos online, there seems to be a problem fitting this under the nose. Even the Superior Shave guy was unable to get it to work correctly in his demo video. Is this a serious problem? Does the pivot still work in tight spaces?
Super easy to use . I feel like people intentionally bash this razor and I don’t know why.

Super easy to use . I feel like people intentionally bash this razor and I don’t know why.

Agree. I’ve tried it and gives a nice easy shave. For the money it competes well against the more expensive pivoting SE razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works fine for me; better than my DE. Not quite as good as my injector but totally acceptable. You just need to start the stroke with the pivot engaged rather than relying on friction to engage it as you move.

Someone at Superior Shave emailed me about this saying that you can start with the pivot on the underside of the nostril. I assume he means the horizontal plane of the nose parallel to the ground. Then I suppose you raise the angle so the blade contacts the beard, landing just below the nose. Hard to describe what i am visualizing but i think that does it.

Is that correct or are you describing something different?

When I am shaving where there is room, I start the stroke with the top plane (the part that has the Focus brand name imprinted on it) flat against my face. As I pull, the pivot engages so that the lower plane (that ends at the blade) flattens against my skin and the blade starts cutting. You just need to make sure that you give room so that the process has space to work and the blade starts cutting at the point you want it to.

When I shave under my nose, I start the stroke with lower plane flat against my skin. That way the blade is at the right angle right away and starts cutting immediately. The pivot still plays a role by making small adjustments to the angle as the stroke processes.

For under the nose use like any GEM. Go in sideways. And then touch up the odd place not using the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just discovered a technique that has made blade loading 100% easier for me.
  1. Make sure your razor is dry.
  2. Put a drop of water on the top cap between the pins
  3. Place the blade on top of the water droplet and positioned properly against the pins.
  4. Slide on the razor body as usual
I find that the adhesion of the water droplet prevents the blade from moving around and keeps it firmly pinned on the top cap. Previously, I was always taking a couple of iterations at getting the blade loaded before I was confident that it was set properly. With this new method, perfect positioning first time every time.

I ordered one today. Any suggestions for a blade? I am told it works better with sharper blades but that was one person's opinion, I think. Any experience with what works and what doesn't?

I ordered one today. Any suggestions for a blade? I am told it works better with sharper blades but that was one person's opinion, I think. Any experience with what works and what doesn't?

Feather is my go to for the Focus. I get 7 good shaves before it starts tugging. I usually get 4 to 5 good shaves from a Derby blade.

Top Bottom