What's new

First time roasting beans.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I hope so, I have roasted maybe 20 batches and most have been better than our usuals at the market. Only a few have been beyond decent though. Lots to learn, practice practice.

It's a strange learning curve largely because there just isn't much out there to learn from. There's not much literature. It's very much "find your way," especially because equipment makes an enormous difference, not to mention that ever bean is its own adventure.

I did find "Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee," by Rob Hoos, very helpful. I got a lot out of his discussions regarding how different times at different roast stages affects the final product.

As much as Scott Rao's name gets kicked around, I've learned very little from him. That's probably because (as he's readily admitted) he intentionally holds back a great deal of his knowledge, experience, and advice when he writes a book. He feels like it would take too much away from his teaching and consulting business. Maybe it'll show up at the library. I have no doubt at all that Rao understands roasting at a level I cannot even imagine, and I'm sure that hiring him to hang out with me while I roasted would improve my roasts dramatically, but his books just ain't all that useful.

Now, I've not read Rao's "Best Practices." It promises to divulge a bit more, but I've seen reviews that indicate it may be more focused on commercial roasting (which makes sense). I'm not in the mood to drop $45 on something I'm not very confident will help.

I was just curious! I charge at 275c - 290c with 432g green. Some want it hot!
Oh interesting! I know which roaster you have, I wouldn't even be able to get to that temperature. My temperature drop is usually to 99-104c, now you have me curious what yours is?

Oh interesting! I know which roaster you have, I wouldn't even be able to get to that temperature. My temperature drop is usually to 99-104c, now you have me curious what yours is?
Based on one recent roast I just looked up, the temp dips about 162C (275C down to 113C) before it starts rising again at about the 1 minute mark.

I used a Gene Cafe roaster before the Bullet. I didn't start recording in Celsius until the Bullet, and I'm not really sure WHY I decided to switch, but it's working out so far! Plus, I can understand when my Canadian friends talk about how hot it is.

This has been fun thus far. Looking back at that first roast made me chuckle a bit, don't think I've roasted any beans that dark and oily since. Most are just beyond first crack and a few just into second.

The upgraded Freshroast with the extension tube certainly makes a difference. So many good coffee's out there it's hard to pick a favorite but I really do like the Ethiopian quite a bit.

Heck yes! I'm still on the Ethiopia train. Natural process, anyway. Washed is fickle, and I haven't yet roasted any that wowed me.

Reactions: Wid
So many good coffee's out there it's hard to pick a favorite but I really do like the Ethiopian quite a bit.
If you are comfortable with your ability, and finances, it might be time to order some real Hawaiian green direct.

Weird, I thought I posted this an hour ago. Scratches head.

Reactions: Wid
If you are comfortable with your ability, and finances, it might be time to order some real Hawaiian green direct.

Weird, I thought I posted this an hour ago. Scratches head.

I’ve been thinking about it.

I’ve been thinking about it.
It's my favourite coffee for some reason, but I can't explain it yet and that bothers me. I am pretty certain there is a good substitute out there, having the ability to tweak the roast helps, but I need to define in standard tasting language what that taste profile is. Maybe it's nothing special.

It's my favourite coffee for some reason, but I can't explain it yet and that bothers me. I am pretty certain there is a good substitute out there, having the ability to tweak the roast helps, but I need to define in standard tasting language what that taste profile is. Maybe it's nothing special

Where do you source it from ?

Where do you source it from ?
There are a few places on the Islands, but I get mine from Klatch. It’s the cheapest grade of 100%, Kauai I believe. You need to order a significant amount when ordering directly, like $200 to make it worth it. I am not in front of my computer or I would give you several sources.

No Hawaiian beans for me yet, I need to roast the ones I have first. I did however roast some Uganda beans this morning. Still enjoying it and the beans, not a real bad one yet, have been better than what can be bought at the grocery store.

Here’s this morning’s roast. Did two batches and they both came in with right about the same weight loss.

C864A743-A89B-4D10-9A4C-E874C04A4056.jpeg
E0A13DAB-25A5-4EC4-8020-7BD6178AF497.jpeg

I might as well mention it here because it will be a while before I get around to roasting it, but I scored 2 gesha coffees! One was only a little more expensive than normal, but the second one was fully double. That one is currently being sold roasted at 55 for 6 ounces, it’s a dry process. Still cheaper than Hawaiian, looking forward to this!

Have you figured out a similar coffee to do a practice roast? I have some less expensive Guatemala gesha to roast and was planning to roast a standard Guatemala, but I think picking something visually might be better. The problem is the density of the gesha might be dramatically different than expected and finding that out with it in the roaster may be problematic. Or not.

Have you figured out a similar coffee to do a practice roast? I have some less expensive Guatemala gesha to roast and was planning to roast a standard Guatemala, but I think picking something visually might be better. The problem is the density of the gesha might be dramatically different than expected and finding that out with it in the roaster may be problematic. Or not.

I’ve done Panama coffee before and other South American coffees. This is a wet processed coffee so I’ll keep that in mind too.

Top Bottom