What's new

Ok, gurus of the bean, rec some coffee

@gpjoe

That was me a year ago. You will be amazed how quickly you will become educated on coffee.

And this also reminds me of me as well. I did some research, and discovered what I would have to pay, to get a conical burr electric grinder. And to get one from a brand with an excellent reputation, such as the famous Bartiza Encore or Virtuoso, I'd have to spend upwards of 200 to 350 dollars. And if I wanted a flat burr grinder, ( Top End Machine ) I'd be looking to spend over 600 dollars for one of those!

I too was looking at Timemore for my scale, I was looking at the previous generation C2's. And while a good portion of the grinder seemed nice, I couldn't get over the plastic structural supports for the burr shaft, nor the plastic grind adjustment knob. So I just chose to upgrade to a top end hand grinder, and went with the 1ZPresso K-MAX instead.

This was a wise decision! Remember what I said above? Well, if I am not mistaken, the Timemore C3, uses metal structural supports, and a metal grind adjustment knob. Your Timemore C3 has a capacity of 25G. It uses a CNC'd stainless steel conical burr, which is excellent! It has double bearing's on the shaft, just like my K-MAX does. And my K-MAX is a conical burr as well! So excellent choice there Joe!

Your grinder also weighs less then mine. Your grinder weighs in around 430 grams. Where as my K-MAX weighs in around 696 grams. Your conical burr size is 38mm. That is a little smaller then mine, but is still an excellent size. To be perfectly honest, the lower the capacity of the grinder, the lower the burr diameter you need. Because, when you increase capacity size, then you want to increase burr size, so as to speed up grind time.

1ZPresso also has a version of my grinder with a foldable handle, its called the K-ULTRA, but its also got an ultra price attached to it lol. These hand grinders with foldable handles, seem to be becoming more popular these days. I think its a feature that many want, and not just for travel, but like you said, also for less counter space occupation.

As stated, your grinder is using what is known as a conical burr, specifically, a heptagonal conical burr set. This type of burr set is known for creating a very uniform grinder, and is only 2nd, to a flat burr grinder. But when you compare the amazing performance of a conical burr, to a blade grinder, its like a night and day difference. Don't worry, your eye is being trained as we speak, and you will become a coffee grinding professor in no time!

Timemore makes quality equipment. I love my Timemore Black Mirror Nano scale! Timemore uses CNC technology to mill out their parts, and they do a good job at it. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the sturdy feel in the hand. The only thing you will find misleading, are all the Chinese clones that Amazon has 0-issues selling. But once you know the name brands in the coffee gear space, you will not be steered wrong, by choosing the right one.

I am so glad that you are pleased, I am so happy for you too. Congratulations Joe! :thumbup:
Another post that I don’t understand at all

Another post that I don’t understand at all

You're too practical 🙂 and I mean that in the nicest way...and your observations are very often fact-based, and right on the money whether the subject is razors and soap, and now coffee.

I'm sure this all looks zany to the practical mind but It's really just for fun and I am enjoying my coffee, which to me, is miles better than Folgers from a $20 Mr Coffee drip machine.

You're too practical 🙂 and I mean that in the nicest way...and your observations are very often fact-based, and right on the money whether the subject is razors and soap, and now coffee.

I'm sure this all looks zany to the practical mind but It's really just for fun and I am enjoying my coffee, which to me, is miles better than Folgers from a $20 Mr Coffee drip machine.
You’re right after a fashion. One maxim I say to myself all the time is “good enough is good enough”. My coffee is good enough. I don’t chase perfection.
I shouldn’t have peeked into the OCD coffee world. I looked at a few other threads and it is too bizarre for me to understand. I’m due back on Earth now so I’ll be going.

Last edited:
You’re right after a fashion. One maxim I say to myself all the time is “good enough is good enough”. My coffee is good enough. I don’t chase perfection.
I shouldn’t have peeked into the OCD coffee world. I looked at a few other threads and it is too bizarre for me to understand. I’m due back on Earth now so I’ll be going.

Yeah, we're all aliens at times, depending on perspective.

You should hang around, counselor, I enjoy a different perspective. 🙂

Yeah, we're all aliens at times, depending on perspective.

You should hang around, counselor, I enjoy a different perspective. 🙂
Joe, I thought you were one of the regular guys, but now I’m not sure. Come with me before it’s too late.

My life was changed when I heard someone on a podcast refer to the bitterness in dark roasts as "sweetness". I started to branch out to darker roasts. I only buy locally roasted beans (within 2 counties as there are none in this county) and do a pour-over. I go back and forth between medium and medium-dark roasts. Darker roasts have less acid and are easier on my stomach.

There’s a cafe a few blocks from my place. Puerto Rican guy owns and runs it. He and a friend started as “assistant baristas” in an ultra chic Manhattan Upper East Side Italian cafe. They had brought real live male baristas over from Italy to serve their faithful.

One day, both the premier guys called in sick. The two “assistants” rocked the house and were an instant success! Management sent the big shots home and two guys from the South Bronx had themselves a good high paying gig.

So what’s that got to do with this thread:

Now he’s got his own little shop in Brooklyn. Not surprisingly, he’s into Italian roasts:

IMG_3125.jpeg

Missing in the shot is the Gran Aroma and Americano (which is great for cold brew). My favorite is the Crema. Works well for a cup, iced coffee, cappuccino, and espresso. I’ll usually buy 12 ounces of beans, which lasts about a week.

Last edited:
Just started from the beginning of this thread. Didn’t know you were looking for suggestions at first

Here’s a link for the Miscaladoro (it’s really good):

I like this as a readily available option, too. Smooth taste. You have options other than Amazon if you’re not a fan:

Stumptown puts out a great line.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I know my earlier posts respected your preference for lighter roasts. I prefer dark roasts like French or Italian roasts. Dark roasts are less acidic and lower in caffeine. However, there is a fine tipping point over which dark roasts fall into the realm of bitterness. Keep it on the less strong side of that point or be braced for a bad cup. i find *$ invariably goes past that point and makes all roasts, light to dark, bitter. Stay well to the weak side and bump it up gradually. Best results IMO come from pour over or a very good drip machine like Technivorm of Bonavita.

Top Bottom