What's new

First time roasting beans.

I’ve done Panama coffee before and other South American coffees. This is a wet processed coffee so I’ll keep that in mind too.
Perfect! You are actually better prepared than I am, mine is a dry processed which needs more care. :thumbup1:

Reactions: Wid
Did my first small batch of Geisha. Started with 160g and ended up with 140g. That puts it at a 12.5% loss. That should put it right about city roast.
F2776995-85B7-4091-B40B-31A23F90481B.jpeg
02AF9342-C611-45ED-886D-CB60CEDEE532.jpeg

Did my first small batch of Geisha. Started with 160g and ended up with 140g. That puts it at a 12.5% loss. That should put it right about city roast. View attachment 1540489View attachment 1540490
Heck yeah, I'm excited for you!

My first two batches of gesha were divine! The third was very disappointing. Idk what happened, but every roast I did that day fell flat. I followed the profile of the other two almost exactly, and got a similar loss. I guess it's an argument for data not being equal to taste in the cup!

I am getting a very flowery smell from the Gigi a day after roasting. So of course I had to taste it. I don’t know I’ve had coffee like this. I get a strong grape, wine like taste along with a flowery note with a touch of citrus. The after taste is remarkable sweet. It’s like candy on the tongue.

Anyone else had this?

The wife doesn’t like it but it’s a very interesting coffee. I’m gonna give it a bit more time to see how it matures.

Had a cup of the Geisha this morning. Kind of a tea like feel to it. Getting strong berry and citrus notes with a faint flower like taste, kind of perfume like? This is a very nice cup, completely different than any other coffee I’ve had.

26 gram of coffee beans
200 gram of water
In an AreoPress with a 4 minute steep.
Black

Did a couple roasts this morning. Although they look dark they are only at 14 to 15% loss. The Mexican beans didn’t roast very uniform. The Columbia turned out looking good. These honey processed beans produce a ton of chaff.
5349DF6C-D8B1-4E92-AD64-611723C2E21A.jpeg
FB88D10A-1170-49DA-B5B9-1D0FFB02F80C.jpeg
A1A33676-49A0-4D55-A44C-620C57EFD89B.jpeg
9A38579A-435C-454E-B172-F8A293C3DEB8.jpeg

The Colombia looks great! With coffees that don't roast even, I have found that it requires lower heat before first crack to stretch out the roast. You may have to change your strategy after first crack to balance things out as well, unfortunately. I have worked out several general heat strategies so that I know if I need to add 1 minute or even 2 minutes before first crack, I can try one of my tested profiles. They include adjustments that I have made after first crack, I have a roast log book.

I used the notes I took and tried to stay within what I used with a honey Dominican. If I get theses beans again I’ll try and draw it out just a tad.

Something to further consider, I pulled out my book: the Dominican is primarily Typica and Caturra grown at relatively low altitude. Even compared to the Mexico grown at 4000', there is going to be a difference in density. I believe the Dominican would be a lower density, but that usually tolerates less heat so you might want to go back and look at pictures of your Dominican roasts. If anything, I would have expected the opposite for your Mexico, to be running too slow and need more heat. As always, I am glad that my analytical thinking isn't too much.

Hmmm, I think I better wait until next week when others have a chance to chime in. I think I see some lighter beans, but not to the degree that the Mexico above have and I am not sure how to explain that. I remember when you roasted this and at the time, I didn't want to bring up tipping. That hole in just one bean looks like it, and there are a few others that have signs of it, but overall I have personally done much worse. Tipping is different from scorching and I think I will let you look those up if you want to instead of pull stuff out of my head.

Hmmm, I think I better wait until next week when others have a chance to chime in. I think I see some lighter beans, but not to the degree that the Mexico above have and I am not sure how to explain that. I remember when you roasted this and at the time, I didn't want to bring up tipping. That hole in just one bean looks like it, and there are a few others that have signs of it, but overall I have personally done much worse. Tipping is different from scorching and I think I will let you look those up if you want to instead of pull stuff out of my head.

I'm familiar with tipping, that could be from reducing the fan to low and the heat to high. I'll take a look at some other roasts I have here

Ooooo I haven't ordered from either of them yet!

My recent order is feom Bodhi Leaf. They had free shipping over $59, and their warehouse is 3-4 hours round trip from me. I ordered at 10pm one night, and it arrived at 4pm two days later. I haven't tasted any yet, but they've impressed me so far!

Top Bottom