What's new

First Shavemac Synthetic has landed in the USA!!

If directed to me ... I have no idea. CH-2 and the Shavemac have been my first and only venture into synthetic fibre brushes and will be my last for several years. I simply have too many nice badger brushes already.

Btw the Shavemac is still available so you can find out yourself :biggrin1:

My question is directed toward anyone who can answer.

I was on the site yesterday looking at options, just deciding if it will provide properties I desire. How it compares with a Tuxedo knot will inform that decision. I only reference the Tuxedo knot since I know what that one is like, and I think others who have the Shavemac synthetic also have used Tuxedo knots and can provide a comparison.

I think it's always been the case that people will pay less than more for something they feel gives good value. It also occurs to me that many start out in synths right away and hence don't understand why they would want to pay more for a natural fiber brush. I think if they started with badger, they would find fewer of the low priced synths satisfactory.

If given a choice, I'd use any $100+ badger over any $20 synth because I've never found a top shelf synth for $20. I find most synths to lack backbone and that they would serve fabulously as a makeup brush and poorly as a shaving brush.

If it's strictly down to price and I only had $20 to spend, I'd sooner have horse or boar than any of the synths at that price point. I think to get decent badger the prices start at around $80 and quickly move north.

Price is easy to determine.

Value is another animal. My personal taste is also natural hair. At lower price points, I would go for a nice boar. At higher price points my preference is definitely badger. I can enjoy a nice badger for a fraction of what I could spend on any of my other hobbies. So for me, badger brushes offer good value! :thumbup: :thumbup:

If it's strictly down to price and I only had $20 to spend, I'd sooner have horse or boar than any of the synths at that price point. I think to get decent badger the prices start at around $80 and quickly move north.

One of my favorite badgers is the Simpson Commodore X3 in Best, which can be had for $59 on Amazon. Now I consider that a great value in shave brushes.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
At lower price points, I would go for a nice boar.
That seems the logical route for natural value. I however am not a big boar fan. Don't know why, I just don't like the feel of wet boar brushes. I like horse better. Actually, I think the nicest low cost natural might be a horse badger mix.

That seems the logical route for natural value. I however am not a big boar fan. Don't know why, I just don't like the feel of wet boar brushes. I like horse better. Actually, I think the nicest low cost natural might be a horse badger mix.

That’s why it is great to have multiple options!! :a14: :a14:

I’ve had my Shavemac synthetic for quite some time now and I was on the verge of selling it. I had trouble loading it and developing great lathers. Well all of that changed with my last two shaves.

What I realized is that it simply does not load anywhere near as fast as my other synthetics. In addition to loading slowly, it also doesn’t splay well on my face until I begin hydrating the soap and building a lather on my face. Once I’ve built up some lather in the actual brush during the initial phase of face lathering, the knot begins to bloom and splays beautifully.

While not the most intuitive synthetic knot, once I figured out what worked for me, this now has become a brush I want to have in my regular rotation.

69AF65AC-E11B-4F80-9E8B-35DEADEF6566.jpeg

Totally agree chaps. I rate my commodore X3 in best above Simpson Persian Jar 2 & Duke 1 both in best, saying that the other 2 are still great but the X3 as the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you. The Simpson Commodore X3 Best is one of my favorite brushes and a terrific value as far as badger brushes go. However, since this thread is about Shavemac synthetics, I will say that I’ve also enjoyed my 24mm Shavemac synthetic quite a bit. I am currently using it as my travel brush, because it performs and feels somewhat similar to badger, while it dries much faster. Great brush!

E5D00B29-ED0E-487E-9FDA-E3E5888444C9.jpeg

Has anyone used the shavemac and the Turnnshave "full moon" knot?

They look so similar to me, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same fibre.

Has anyone used the shavemac and the Turnnshave "full moon" knot?

They look so similar to me, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same fibre.
Milton has been offering the Full Moon knot for a couple years now so I would tend to doubt it...

Top Bottom