What's new

First Shavemac Synthetic has landed in the USA!!

Yesterday I got a delivery of knots from Shavemac and inside I found a little surprise from Bernd for me:

the first Shavemac Synthetic brush!!!

I surely used it this morning for the first time. Was very much surprised that it felt very similar to badger, just no scritch, scratch, or scrub etc. Just an amazing feel on the face.
The knot has a very similar backbone compared to a badger brush. Personally, I am not a great user of synthetics, but I own a few: a Simpson Chubby2, my travel brush made by RV Shaving with a Muehle STF knot, and I used to own the Plisson mop.
This one, like the Muehle knots, are hand tied in Germany by the same people that make Shavemac's world-class badger knots.
The brush is pretty dense, and the size is about 27 mm with a loft of 57 mm.

These brushes will be available, Bernd said in about 2-3 weeks, on their website via the Shavemac brush configurator. Handles and materials selection will be like shown in the configurator now.
Knot sizes will be 24, 26 and 28 mm, and in ether bulb or fan shaped knots.
Lofts can be adjusted within the normal ranges.
Price point is not quite established, but I would guess similar to other high end synthetics (Muehle, Simpson) - do not forget, these are hand tied knots!!

question. How would you rate the shavemac synthetic vs a black wolf?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
How about rating it against a chubby 2
I use them maybe twice per year or so...not a synthetic guy. So, give me a few days. Also, they are quite different in their sizing. The Shavemac is 26.5 by 57.5 mm, and the Chubby 2 is 27.5 by 54 mm. Dry, the Chubby has much more backbone than the Shavemac.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Used the Shavemac yesterday and the Chubby today. The Ch2 is definitely much more resilient on the face, has more backbone than the the Shavemac, its also a bit bigger in the knot size and quite a bit shorter than the Shavemac, so this makes sense. Both, like all other synthetics I have used, lack what I like with badgers: the easy splay badger have; the Shavemac better than the Ch2, but this comes also from the longer loft, and slightly smaller size. For me the badger feels much better on the face than a synthetic. Also, the plastic fibers are quite springy, something I do not like very much, and badgers are my choice due to this. The synthetic fibers feel (what they are) artificial to me....
However, I do like my lil Muehle travel brush with a 19 mm knot.

Used the Shavemac yesterday and the Chubby today. The Ch2 is definitely much more resilient on the face, has more backbone than the the Shavemac, its also a bit bigger in the knot size and quite a bit shorter than the Shavemac, so this makes sense. Both, like all other synthetics I have used, lack what I like with badgers: the easy splay badger have; the Shavemac better than the Ch2, but this comes also from the longer loft, and slightly smaller size. For me the badger feels much better on the face than a synthetic. Also, the plastic fibers are quite springy, something I do not like very much, and badgers are my choice due to this. The synthetic fibers feel (what they are) artificial to me....
However, I do like my lil Muehle travel brush with a 19 mm knot.
Thank you Rudy. I too am a badger brush guy.

Top Bottom