What's new

First Shavemac Synthetic has landed in the USA!!

How does the Shavemac compare to the Simpson CH2 synthetic?

I have a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic, but never completely warmed up to it and would rather have reached for my Mühle Silvertip Fibres before I got these two Shavemac synthetics.

I find my synthetic Simpson Chubby 2 even softer than my Mühle Silvertip (meaning a little too soft for me), which makes it noticeably softer and with noticeably less backbone than the Shavemac.

The Simpson has its uses for creams or softer shaving soaps, but for the majority of my soaps, (e.g. Mitchells Wool Fat or harder) the Shavemac synthetic works better for me.

Hope this helps....

B.

Last edited:
@Brutus Your thoughts on synthetics mirror mine. Until I tried the Muhle synthetic I was not impressed with them. They were fine for travel but, for me, didn't match a quality badger.

I know there is a lot of love for the Plisson Cade type of knot. However, that knot is not one I prefer. I have nicknamed my Plisson Cade syn brush "Mr. Floppy." So far, the synthetics that I really like: Muhle Silvertip Firbre, Rudy Vey with Muhle knot, and the Omega Hi. There is also a Yaqi large synthetic that comes close to the first ones I mentioned.

I expect my Shavemac to arrive this week!

Does anyone see an issue with selecting a 52mm loft on the 26mm knot? Or, is it best to stick with what the configurator pre-loads for the knot diameter (54mm loft for a 26mm knot)

thanks

My ShaveMac arrived today. It is the 28mm syn in jade. The photos below show the Yaqi on the left and the Shavemac on the right. The Shavemac has finer bristles and is more densely packed. In fact, the ShaveMac is the densest synthetic I have.

I will test it out tomorrow

shavemac.jpg shavemac1.jpg

My first use of the Shavemac 28mm synthetic. For me, this is now my favorite synthetic slightly above the Muhle. It loads soap like a champ. Excellent lather and enough for a four-pass face and two-pass head shave. If you press a bit on the brush you will get some backbone. If you like the soft feeling, use a light touch. The brush can hold a lot of water. However, unlike most synthetics, the lather doesn't fly all over when you put it on your face.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've used mine for a month, the review holds as written, it is ok, but not naught to make me socks go up & down. Knot choice may greatly impact an individual experience

Does anyone see an issue with selecting a 52mm loft on the 26mm knot? Or, is it best to stick with what the configurator pre-loads for the knot diameter (54mm loft for a 26mm knot)

thanks

Did you find out which way to go on the 26mm. I am wondering about the same question. 26mm with 52mm or 54mm loft. I like my 2 band badger with 26/52 but not sure of this knot.

Anyone have use the 26/52 bulb loft? Or the 26/54?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Mine was ordered (see above) at less than that magic 2/1 ratio .. arrived 2mm higher. It is probably not worth worrying about a 2 mm difference, since the product has that much variation

I have two Shavemac Synthetics, a 24 mm Bulb-shaped and a 26 mm Fanshaped brush, both with the standard loft offered by the configurator. While Shavemacs badger Bulbs are perfect bulbs, their synthetics are more a kind of hybrids between bulbs and fans. And the fans would be regarded almost as flats with badger hair. So, if you want to buy a fanshaped synthetic I suggest to choose the lower loft offered by the configurator when you are looking for backbone.
IMG_20190604_pl.jpg

She finally landed, albeit it's the wrong handle design, I ordered a beehive and received this one. Not sure if I"ll keep it, or contact Shavemac.

26mm with 52mm loft
proxy.php

Top Bottom