What's new

First Shavemac Synthetic has landed in the USA!!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Being a Badger kinda guy, I have tried to like and find a nice synthetic and have found a couple that are"ok" but still fall behind a good badger. Granted I know that they are going to be different but I would like to find one that's close in feel . For you is it close ?

My first use of the Shavemac 28mm synthetic. For me, this is now my favorite synthetic slightly above the Muhle. It loads soap like a champ. Excellent lather and enough for a four-pass face and two-pass head shave. If you press a bit on the brush you will get some backbone. If you like the soft feeling, use a light touch. The brush can hold a lot of water. However, unlike most synthetics, the lather doesn't fly all over when you put it on your face.

Both the Muhle Silvertip Fibre and Shavemac Synthetic are the closest to Badger brushes of all the synthetics I have tried. They have some backbone and do a good job of loading soap. In fact, I shaved with the Shavemac today. For me, they don't surpass a good badger brush - but they are fairly close.

Any recent feedback on the Shavemac synthetics? What I've heard is mostly positive, but there's not a lot of talk.
I know they're a newish offering. Maybe I can add to the discussion? I just put in an order for a 26mm synth in tortoise beehive. Sort of an impulse buy, but I'm encouraged by the comparisons to the STF.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
She finally landed, albeit it's the wrong handle design, I ordered a beehive and received this one. Not sure if I"ll keep it, or contact Shavemac.

26mm with 52mm loft
proxy.php
Nice looking. Did you keep ir?
Im very confused about the loft heights.
How is 26/52 in terms of backbone?
Appreciate the advice. thanks
A

Nice looking. Did you keep ir?
Im very confused about the loft heights.
How is 26/52 in terms of backbone?
Appreciate the advice. thanks
A

I did keep it, albeit it only gets used rarely. I've discovered I'm not particularly fond of fan knots. The loft definitely provides a good amount of back bone for sure. Overall it's a solid brush, it's just not my cup of tea.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I did keep it, albeit it only gets used rarely. I've discovered I'm not particularly fond of fan knots. The loft definitely provides a good amount of back bone for sure. Overall it's a solid brush, it's just not my cup of tea.
Thanks
I know what you mean about fans. Is that too ridged?

Thanks
I know what you mean about fans. Is that too ridged?

The fan simply doesn't splay well the way I use it compared to my other bulb style brushes. I wouldn't say it's too rigid, I just don't think the fan shape lends itself to the way I like to face lather.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Let's face it: more people will shuck out $20 for top shelf synthetic than will pay $100+ for a badger brush nowadays.
I think it's always been the case that people will pay less than more for something they feel gives good value. It also occurs to me that many start out in synths right away and hence don't understand why they would want to pay more for a natural fiber brush. I think if they started with badger, they would find fewer of the low priced synths satisfactory.

If given a choice, I'd use any $100+ badger over any $20 synth because I've never found a top shelf synth for $20. I find most synths to lack backbone and that they would serve fabulously as a makeup brush and poorly as a shaving brush.

If it's strictly down to price and I only had $20 to spend, I'd sooner have horse or boar than any of the synths at that price point. I think to get decent badger the prices start at around $80 and quickly move north.

...If given a choice, I'd use any $100+ badger over any $20 synth because I've never found a top shelf synth for $20. I find most synths to lack backbone and that they would serve fabulously as a makeup brush and poorly as a shaving brush...

YaQi Tuxedo or Synbad/Mew Brown synthetic brushes. Cheaper, faster & better with "backbone". :thumbsup:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I think it's always been the case that people will pay less than more for something they feel gives good value. It also occurs to me that many start out in synths right away and hence don't understand why they would want to pay more for a natural fiber brush. I think if they started with badger, they would find fewer of the low priced synths satisfactory.

If given a choice, I'd use any $100+ badger over any $20 synth because I've never found a top shelf synth for $20. I find most synths to lack backbone and that they would serve fabulously as a makeup brush and poorly as a shaving brush.

If it's strictly down to price and I only had $20 to spend, I'd sooner have horse or boar than any of the synths at that price point. I think to get decent badger the prices start at around $80 and quickly move north.

Yea this nails it. I like my badgers, but once in a while use the snths. They leak water & don't do as well, but serve admirably when traveling. I agree, for $20 I'd go boar

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
YaQi Tuxedo or Synbad/Mew Brown synthetic brushes. Cheaper, faster & better with "backbone". :thumbsup:
I'm sure they will improve over time and probably already are, but a lot of the synths use overly large knots to my taste. 22x50 is right around my sweet spot.

I wanted to give high end synthetics a fair chance. After I got a CH-2 synth and didn't like the performance - it has the softest tips ever, even when dry and produces a fantastic lather, it just doesn't splay well and then it's too pointy in my face - I thought, well maybe Shavemac it the way to go. Very different approach, the Shavemac fibers are not straight but kind of wavy in structure. Also this has a very different feel than my favorite 2-band badgers. I now know how these synthetic fibers perform and for face lathering I don't like them. Both are for sale for someone else to try...
synth brushes (1 of 1).jpg

@Icebear I tend to agree with you concerning high-end synthetics. I will say though that if you haven't tried the more economical synthetics such as Plissoft I would definitely give one of them a shot. My favorite brush to date is my Razorock 400 Plissoft, it splays perfectly, face lathers better than any other brush that I have, and doesn't hog any lather.

My 2-band badgers (M&F, Shavemac, TGN, SOC) do give me a pleasant experience. I appreciate a kind of "solid scrub" in my face that does require a certain amount of backbone. Still I like soft tips. I assume this combination is not possible when you have fibers that have the same structure throughout except some treatment of the tips. I just wanted to see what the fuss is about the latest synthetics. For what they cost (at a lower than CH-2 pricepoint) they do deliver a great value for money. However they can't compete with a top quality natural badger hair. Just my personal view as a face lather guy.

My 2-band badgers (M&F, Shavemac, TGN, SOC) do give me a pleasant experience. I appreciate a kind of "solid scrub" in my face that does require a certain amount of backbone. Still I like soft tips. I assume this combination is not possible when you have fibers that have the same structure throughout except some treatment of the tips. I just wanted to see what the fuss is about the latest synthetics. For what they cost (at a lower than CH-2 pricepoint) they do deliver a great value for money. However they can't compete with a top quality natural badger hair. Just my personal view as a face lather guy.
Do you like boars?

I have tried boars (SOC) and well dialed in brushes are also nice to use. I ventured into custom horse brushes (Vie-Long) as well. They fell out of my regular rotation. They have a few very sturdy hairs that give you a real good poke.:001_rolle
After quite a few years with BAD and an expanding brush rotation, I think I have settled with a variety of nice badgers. This short visit into synthetics land was just to reconfirm that I'm not missing anything.

How would you compare the Shavemac synthetic to a Tuxedo knot of the same size and loft? Face feel, backbone, splay, soap loading (soft and hard), lather formation?

Top Bottom