What's new

First Shavemac Synthetic has landed in the USA!!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yesterday I got a delivery of knots from Shavemac and inside I found a little surprise from Bernd for me:

the first Shavemac Synthetic brush!!!

I surely used it this morning for the first time. Was very much surprised that it felt very similar to badger, just no scritch, scratch, or scrub etc. Just an amazing feel on the face.
The knot has a very similar backbone compared to a badger brush. Personally, I am not a great user of synthetics, but I own a few: a Simpson Chubby2, my travel brush made by RV Shaving with a Muehle STF knot, and I used to own the Plisson mop.
This one, like the Muehle knots, are hand tied in Germany by the same people that make Shavemac's world-class badger knots.
The brush is pretty dense, and the size is about 27 mm with a loft of 57 mm.

These brushes will be available, Bernd said in about 2-3 weeks, on their website via the Shavemac brush configurator. Handles and materials selection will be like shown in the configurator now.
Knot sizes will be 24, 26 and 28 mm, and in ether bulb or fan shaped knots.
Lofts can be adjusted within the normal ranges.
Price point is not quite established, but I would guess similar to other high end synthetics (Muehle, Simpson) - do not forget, these are hand tied knots!!

Attachments

• IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_4746.JPG
    IMG_4746.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 307
Wow, considering how long it's taken for Bernd to select one he'd put the ShaveMac name on... I'm very pleased to hear about it. Now the question is just what profile, size, and design of handle will satisfy my next acquisition in the Rudy Vey legacy?

Was very much surprised that it felt very similar to badger, just no scritch, scratch, or scrub etc. Just an amazing feel on the face.
The knot has a very similar backbone compared to a badger brush.

Ooh...might have to try one out, then. That sounds like a really nice face latherer.

Knot sizes will be 24, 26 and 28 mm, and in ether bulb or fan shaped knots.

Ah, that's a pity...I wish they'd do a 22mm...24mm is just a mite bigger than I usually like. Well, I guess I might go all out and get a 28mm when they come out...there's a certain charm to absurdly big brushes.

Wow! Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing, Rudy. Will the knots be able to be purchased without a handle? I’d love to try a 28mm fan.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Wow! Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing, Rudy. Will the knots be able to be purchased without a handle? I’d love to try a 28mm fan.
I am not sure if I will be able to get knots only, I truly hope.

I did run across a prototype mention of this knot when I did a google search.

BTW, seems to me loft is so critical with these type knots. 4-5mm up or down really changes the character.

Very interesting! I've been looking for a nice synthetic between the CH2S and the STF2-XL. If the pricing is competitive (<$100USD), this might be my next brush.

I cannot see how this "day late & a dollar short" entry into the synthetic market will even budge the needle unless they have made a revolutionary Gen. 5 type fiber that will rock the shaving world (which I highly doubt). I see it more as the mere fact that they are admitting that natural hair brush sales have taken a beating due to the latest Tuxedo, Cashmere, SynBad, etc., type synthetic knots/brushes. Far more people nowadays are buying low priced YaQi brushes that work stunningly. Let's face it: more people will shuck out $20 for top shelf synthetic than will pay $100+ for a badger brush nowadays.

Top Bottom