What's new

fingers crossed on a rocket

I just won a lot of razors, that I bid on for just one of them. There were a couple news, I have about 5 already, and a gem, and a vallet, but what caught my eye was the gillette at the top in the poor picture. I thought, either that is an SS with a busted ring, or it is a rocket. I have wanted a rocket for a while now, and thought this might be my chance. I asked the seller, and sure enough, made in england. Unfortunately it shows up right after I mail a check for 32 Gillettes. :biggrin: So SWMBO is less than pleased with me. My question is, not knowing the condition of this, is this a good deal? I know very little about non american Gillettes, this will be my first.

the auction

Rodd, it looks like you're the proud owner of your first British Rocket. Use it in good health. $21 bucks is a steal....sell off the extra NEWs in the B/S/T forum, recoup a little cash, and buy a little something for SWMBO:smile:

Thanks Scott! I appreciate it! I did some looking around and found a similar looking one labeled as an HD rocket. Are all of these "non flared" rockets HDs? Are there different versions? And finally, are the date codes the same as their American siblings? Thanks again, I feel like I am always posting questions, sorry if I drive people crazy... :redface:

Rodd, here you see the HD Rocket, its heavier (about 71gr) thicker and there is a ring on top of the handle, so it's also called Double Ring Rocket or HD 500

So you never answered the question was it a Rocket?

Actually that haul is still on the way. Major confusion with the seller trying to charge me over double what he quoted me for shipping. I ended up actually paying more than I agreed to just so I could get it but I am less than pleased about it. I will add pictures when I get that lot. Thanks for checking!

Your my idol.........that is all...

In the past month, i've acquired around 10 razors.....thought i had RAD

my wife hates me shaving now....

Somehow I don't think that would amuse my wife. :biggrin: RAD comes in many shapes and sizes. Enjoy your razors!

OK, finally came in the mail today. Terrible ebay seller by the way. I found a thread that discussed how to tell the difference between a rocket and a aristocrat jr, and a parat, but it seems like it comes down to seeing them side by side. Without a scale or other english razors, is there a way to tell what I got? It does say made in england, and looks pretty, but it is dirty, so I will have to clean it after work before I post a picture. Did not look like it had any plating loss, and that was my big worry. Luckily there is a ultrasonic cleaner out for delivery. :001_smile

It is difficult to tell the difference without having each in front of you. The easiest way I know is to open the doors and compare the knob diameter to the handle diameter. If the knob is the same diameter as the handle it should be a Parat, if the knob is slightly bigger than then handle it is a 40's Rocket. If it is heavy and has a 1/8" thick flat plate below where the blade would rest it would be a Jr. Aristocrat.

They all shave great for me.

OK, it looks like it is a 40s rocket. Are date codes on these the same as the US versions? This one has no codes.

proxy.php

I am looking forward to giving it a run. Thanks again all!

OK, it looks like it is a 40s rocket. Are date codes on these the same as the US versions? This one has no codes.

No, unfortunately the British Gillette's didn't carry date codes like the American ones until they put a few on some Tech's in the 70's. It is very frustrating.

I think your assessment is spot on, looks like a 40's Rocket to me too.

Thanks! I was just loading it up with an IP for the morning, and I noticed that it is not notched, don't know how I didn't see that in cleaning. Does that mean it is earlier than 1948, or are these different on that regard also?

Thanks! I was just loading it up with an IP for the morning, and I noticed that it is not notched, don't know how I didn't see that in cleaning. Does that mean it is earlier than 1948, or are these different on that regard also?

Interesting. Can you post a picture?

sorry, I was way off. :redface: It is in fact notched, I don't know how I thought it wasn't, however, the notch is different than I am used to. Must be one of the English American differences. By the way, it shaves GREAT.

click image for larger version

Yes that looks normal. All the English razors I've come across have the same tiny notch. Glad it shaves for you, I love the way they shave and feel in hand myself.

Top Bottom