What's new

Vintage Gillette Razors Seem To Love All Blades! Thoughts And Experiences?

I pretty much agree with your assessment, except that Nacets don't seem to play well with the red tip for some reason.
That's very interesting you mention that!

Really odd but I find my lovely 1956 US Red Tip to be the most 'interesting' Gillette to use.

Nothing really serious, but I find it gives somewhat varying results. It's not like it is unusually aggressive. The UK Rocket HD has a slightly higher blade gap I believe and that's really tolerant of pretty much everything I've loaded.

It's probably the most blade sensitive of the whole of my stable. It seems to like medium sharp blades. It gets on great with Plats and the Indian GWS. Tried a Supermax Diamond Edge in it and it purred with that. It seemed to like a Perma-Sharp. That was a lovely shave. Didn't expect that.

I will have to find out it's real preferences.

I will run a couple of my precious hoarded Israeli Reds and Crystals through it for jollies too.

Last edited:
I've just started using a Canadian Tech so very interested to hear what blades work best for others. A common theme I've read here is that sharp blades work well with the Tech so I started with a Feather. First shave went well and second shave will be tonight.

Feathers are a good choice, but they are more expensive and don't last as long as some others.

Favorites are BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack), Gillette Nacet, and Personna Med Prep. Also, you may like some of the Lord blades such as Silver Star or Lord Platinum. I think Lord may have razors like the Tech in mind with their blades. Perhaps they're not the sharpest blades, but inexpensive and still work well with these razors.

I have found a few blades that don't seem to work for me in my '59 Fatboy or my' 64 slim adjustable. Shark, Treet, Dorcos are all a no go for me. I don't know if it's a combination of the blade & razor or just the blade.

The best combination seems to the Fatboy and a Personna Red/blue or Med prep, Wilkinson Sword (Germany) or Feather. Everything else I've tried has been meh (Astras, various Gillettes, etc...).

My razors are almost exclusively vintage Gillettes, from the US, the UK and Canada....I find them to be ideal for my beard type, technique and..just perfect really....

I could have written this ^^^

I have noted that they all appear to be remarkably tolerent of the blades they use. Perma Sharps, Nacets, GSB, Plats, Supermax, Indian GWS are the most notably popular blades I have run through them. They are amazingly accepting. I have a few other types of blade to run through them, but I am confident they too will readily be accepted in the modest Gillette stable that I have.

...and this ^^^

Maybe explains why I've yet to find a blade that won't shave. Actually, all of the popular, common brands that I have tried seem to shave just fine, and very much the same...I could never pass a blind test of razor blades.

Which is why I quickly stopped chasing blades.

I could be completely wrong but if a blade doesn't work on your type of beard then it won't matter if you use a different razor. I had horrible experiences with the Dorco and the Derby Extra blades. I tried them in a different razor and nope. They're just not sharp enough for me. But YMMV.

The heavy ball end Tech paired with a fresh Nacet blade was just awesome today.
What particularly stood out was the troublesome neck and jaw areas ….as smooth as I’ve ever acheived with any razor. Seems to be a really great match for this super solid feeling classic Gillette.
It bit me on the chin at the beginning… kind of just plonked it on and the weight did the damage…simple use error.
The following morning is always the best judge of the previous day’s shave so we’ll see but I’m still super smooth past 6pm.
Been using the Nacet in a variety of Techs this Vintage April and it’s been great in all of them so far … English and a Canadian …thin handles, thick ones, flat bottoms , triangle cut outs, oval ones but was truly memorable in the heavy ball end Tech today. I’ve used BIC, Kai, Astra,
IMG_6937.jpeg
super, Feather, Personna Lab, Suneko, Perma Sharp….all with great results but the Nacet was best in this razor.

I have few Gillettes. 5 Techs, 3 SuperSpeeds, a Slim, and a 52a Paperclip.

I can run most anything (usually Perma-Sharp, Feather, Nacet, Rapira Platinum Lux, Astra SP Russian, Shark Platinum, GSB, GPB) through vintage Gillettes. If I have a tuck of something to try, I can usually put it in any of the vintage Gillettes and get a good shave.

They do not seem to like Voskhods and Wizamet Platinum Super.

The most blade feel of any of my vintage Gillettes is from the Paperclip. I measured it… it is not bent at all… but, it weighs nothing… so, I think that it is my technique. It doesn’t give me razor burn or bumps, though. It just feels “worse” whilst using it.

Attachments

• 89471B08-577B-4C79-9FA0-F6994771E1C2.jpeg
    89471B08-577B-4C79-9FA0-F6994771E1C2.jpeg
    922 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That's very interesting you mention that!

Really odd but I find my lovely 1956 US Red Tip to be the most 'interesting' Gillette to use.
Surprisingly the USA red tip is the only vintage Gillette I really get subpar results from.

I‘ve tried unrestored and restored examples and the result is the same.

Top Bottom