What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2023 Edition

FFFMM - Shave #20

Razor:
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
Blade: Dorco Titan
(3rd Use)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Aluminum Layered Comfort handle w/Mühle STF 25mm @~55mm
Soap: Unscented With Beeswax by Stirling Soap Co.

Post-Shave:
* Aftershave Blend (equal parts):
  • Mennon Skin Bracer
  • B&M Spice
  • TOBS's Gentleman's Aftershave Lotion
* Stirling's Post Shave Balm (unscented)

Three pass shave (last pass is more or less cleanup).

Nice shave today, smooth everywhere ... a hint of sting from the aftershave. But I managed, again, to create another weeper. I think I tend to apply too much pressure the more familiar I get with a razor & blade combo. This week I will try to focus more diligently on managing a light touch. Anyway, still a darn fine shave, DFS+.

3-25-23 Saturday
FFFMM 15/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (4-4-1)
Blade: Treet platinum(2)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: Pears soap wash
20230321_222949.jpg

DFS++ after 3 easy passes. Lather was a touch thick on first pass. Left a bit of redness that cleared up within an hour.

Be well
Jay

FFFMM 2023 SOTD
SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-P_2023-03-25.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Gillette NEW Flat Bottom GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (13)
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
This magical kit that I chose gets better every shave, touch wood (as we say in the UK). :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

FFFMM 3/26/23, Shave No.#17

Fixed 4 Set up:
Rockwell T2 SS-Bic Chrome Platinum-APShaveCo. 28mm Silksmoke Winter-Rockwell shave cream Barbershop
Optional Gear:
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage a/s Lotion-Christian Dior Eau Sauvage eau de toilette

Got in a bright & early Sunday morning shave. The minor incident that happened in the last shave still hasn’t recovered enough as of yet so, I just worked on the cheeks and neck while working around the chin area. I’ll let a goatee go for now until it heals enough to shave there again which should be a couple more days. Anyhow, the T2 brought it with the Bic on nearly 3 days of whiskers without a hitch. Again the suds were on the money providing excellent protection & glide. I’m so impressed with the Rockwell shaving cream that I ordered another one of their tubs in a different scent. For the money it’s a great value. I haven’t said barely anything on the brush which is from APShaveCo. The Silksmoke synthetic knot is a true pleasure to use. Soft feel yet firm execution for either building lather in a bowl or working it on one’s face. The 28mm knot is not small but, it doesn’t feel huge nor uncomfortable in hand and use. Personally, I prefer larger knots and this one is right there in the Goldilocks zone.

Great shaves to all…

5DDEFE84-5CBF-45E2-B2E7-A679422C3F03.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
FFFMM

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower and a few drops of glycerin
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

Did two very light ATG passes and the results were pretty nice. Aftershave went “brrr” instead of karate chopping.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
20230227_122329-jpg.1613710

(Recycled pic - yet again)

March 26rd, 18:30
10th Fixed Four shave (3 day growth)
10th shave on this blade

A bad news/good news shave

Bad news: Bad brain day. Balance is a mess, and so is coordination. Some migrainous symptoms. Not a day to be shaving with something unfamiliar. I was tempted to not shave at all, but didn't want to go to four day growth.

Good news: The shave was just about perfect. Two passes, completely stubble free, no skin damage, and not a whisper of complaint from the Boots Freshwood aftershave that I used to see if I had "gone in heavy" anywhere. I'm quite stunned.

Not sure if this was a fluke or not, but I don't usually get a shave this good on a bad brain day, unless I have the comfort of familiarity, and the gentle but steadfast efficacy of my usual Jagger razor. I actually went back to the bathroom afterwards, just to be sure I had used the correct razor. I had.

That means the Game Changer shaved me just as well today, as my trusty Jagger ever can. I won't say better, as I don't know how completely stubble free, with zero skin damage, and zero aftershave feedback can ever be improved upon.

Of course, having an excellent brush, cream and blade too, certainly helps. The blade has lost it's initial keenness, and has settled into a highly efficient smoothness. It feels like it could comfortably do another couple of months at this shave frequency.

FFFMM - Shave #21

Razor:
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
Blade: Dorco Titan
(4th Use)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Aluminum Layered Comfort handle w/Mühle STF 25mm @~55mm
Soap: Unscented With Beeswax by Stirling Soap Co.

Post-Shave:
Stirling's Almond Creme Aftershave Splash (no menthol)
Stirling's Post Shave Balm (unscented)

Three pass shave (last pass is more or less cleanup).

Had a great shave ... let the razor do all the work. Went extra easy on the areas I tend to generate weepers. But, on the second to last stroke of the shave I managed to nick my lip. Heh, go figure. Anyway, nothing to bad. The splash gave a delay burn -- didn't react to the alcohol but maybe the almond. Still a darn fine and enjoyable shave, DFS+.

3-26-23 Sunday
FFFMM 16/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (3-3-2)
Blade: Treet platinum(3)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: Shower
20230325_135416.jpg

DFS no nicks, no irritation, and near zero feedback from the splash. Not my closest shave but enjoyable non the less.

Be well
Jay

FFFMM Shave 18

1679895723685.png

Razor: GameChanger .68P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (40)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (58)

A fantastic two pass shave this morning - I'm really enjoying this newfound two pass DFS superpower that FFFMM has granted me, like a radioactive spider.

Not only do I have new shaving skills, I made the mistake of getting a new brush during the event and that's been forcing me to evolve levels of impulse control I didn't know I possessed. :)

Only five more days, you can do it Flask!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
FFFMM

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (3)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by a minute or so of waterboarding with shave binky
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

Did just under two ATG passes with a rinsing off between passes. Technique for using MMOC under nose without shimming and without incident is returning and solidifying. Surprise weeper on chin.

Date: March 27, 2023.
Shave: 14.
Shaving Brush: Semogue 820 Boar Bristle.
Shaving Cream: O'Melhor Classico.
Razor: Rockwell 6S in Red with base plate 3.
Blade: Gillette Nacet Blade 5, shave 2, side 1 & 2.
Preshave Wash: Hot Water, Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser.
Lathering: Bowl lather.
Shave: Pass 1 WTG, Pass 2 XTG, Pass 3 ATG, cleanup pass.
Post Shave: Cold Water splash, Alum Block.
Aftershave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Old Spice Wolfthorn.
End Result: Close but not so comfortable. I screwed up a bit in the lathering. I didn't squeeze out the excess water from the brush enough and so the lather was a little watery. Not too much but still it had it's toll on the shave. I didn't have time to rebuild the lather and didn't want to waste this either as it's far more expensive for me due to the huge import costs and taxes. Moreover the lather wasn't unusable, just not the consistency I prefer. It's not a very bad shave though.

Top Bottom