What's new

Feather stainless and bleach

We really need to make a sticky on razor cleaning that emphasizes not using bleach, vinegar, or other corrosive cleaners. I've seen too many good and expensive razors destroyed in the past few weeks. :cursing:

I've cleaned other metal objects with bleach solutions in the past with no issues. So until now I had no idea that it could corrode the wrong type of metal so. Obviously if I knew I would not have done it.

Good to know I'm not the only one that has taken the black death of soaks :biggrin1:

OK, I have an idea.

I'd like everyone who has ruined a razor by doing something - not just bleach or vinegar, but leaving it overnight in even "good" stuff like Barbicide and Scrubbing Bubbles, and post pics. Preferably before and after.

Think of it as helping convince the next guy with a nice razor why they should be careful cleaning with pretty (and UGLY) pictures :)

So how many more members are going to destroy their razors this way before doing a quick search to find out this is what happens when you soak a razor in bleach? I say a few hundred more....a conservative estimate.

Looking at the after-cleaning picture I see some plating. I thought this razor is stainless steel.Period. Not stainless finish. Is there any information regarding the material or manufacturing specs for this razor? I have two, always thought they are simply stainless steel and bought them just because I do not agree with the plating idea.
Now what?
To the OP: thanks for posting and sharing your experience so we can all learn. We all make mistakes.

Looking at the after-cleaning picture I see some plating. I thought this razor is stainless steel.Period. Not stainless finish. Is there any information regarding the material or manufacturing specs for this razor? I have two, always thought they are simply stainless steel and bought them just because I do not agree with the plating idea.
Now what?
To the OP: thanks for posting and sharing your experience so we can all learn. We all make mistakes.

That is what puzzled me as well, I thought it was solid steel with no chrome.

Dude, you're killing me. Quit posting pics of your killing! I can't bare to look at it :crying:

Fear not, no more pics ;).

Now what?

I think you're making assumptions that aren't supported when you say you can see plating. Is that because you see spots? That's a pretty common mode of corrosion. It isn't so much the bleach that is the problem, but chloride ion. THAT'S the killer for stainless steel. It is very common in industry to have extensive measures to keep solutions containing chloride from contact with stainless steel.
This might be interesting.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/04-html/4-1.html

I think you're making assumptions that aren't supported when you say you can see plating...
You are absolutely right. One reason I posted here, hoping a fellow BBer would shed some light.

...Is that because you see spots? ...
No. It is because I thought I can see flaking, as in loss of plating.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

This was my second post that stirred up people over here. I better keep it quiet.

Top Bottom