What's new

Feather stainless and bleach

Well think I've ruined this one, left it overnight in a solution of water and bleach and it seems to have penetrated. I also had a sealed toothbrush in there which has steel top and it was fine. I thought it was 100% steel so impervious to corrosion? Wonder if it is worth getting another one or buying a cheaper, similar model.

Aaaauugh! Bleach = bad.... and even if you used something less horrible overnight is a really long time.

That just makes me cry to look at it.

Have you tried hot water, dish soap, and a tooth brush to try and clean that off?

What did it look like before? Seems too long soaks in X ingredient have ruined a few razors on this forum recently.

It looked almost as it did new except for some dirt on the head.

$feather-stainless-steel-double-edge-razor__55810_zoom.jpg

"Chlorine eats through the chromium oxide coating that protects stainless steel very quickly. Once the coating is removed in some parts and not others, galvanic corrosion starts and pitting forms. It's important to have oxygen in the fluid to keep the chromium oxide coating replenished."

I lifted this off an online resource for metal workers called practical machinist.com, these are not my words
Either way it's bad news for your Feather

Well that makes it worse lol - I thought it must have been really dirty to justify soaking in bleach.

Dish soap is actually really good for getting dirt off of metal - bleach isn't. Bleach isn't made for that, dish soap is. Hot water and soap is probably nearly as effective as bleach at killing bacteria too. Bleach should not be used on stainless steel at all really because SS reacts with chlorine and well - produces stains.

As a proud feather owner, I feel bad for that razor.

I am sad now :sad: This most likely is going to ruin my whole day. What were you thinking? I'm going home to cradle my feather.

See if you have any one that specials in sandblasting, or restoriazation in your area. I think even on a low pressure setting bead bkasting might be too much in a regular blast cabniet. But crushed walnuts and theres something else thats easier on metals are used in more delicate situations. I bet either one of those methods would clean it up. Hate to see ya give up on it. It looks like only surface to me from picture which isn't a big deal. Thats an easy fix. We used to bead blast stuff all the time and refinish. If its deep pitting that's another story.
Bleach doesn't mix well with the newer powdered metals either. One cleaning method been published in several places about knives and wild game recommended a short bleach soak but long enough to work. I found out the hard way 35 Mintues was too long. Been doing it for over 10 yrs and never had an issue. Place I got new knife offered to replace it because that was there recommendation to customers as well. So I picked my tried n true metals and they used knife to remind people the newer steels don't like bleach.

Last edited:
I would just get another, any other restore methods is going to cost you unless you own a sand/walnut blasting facillity ....buy a used one here BST mall.
i have a Ikon oss foe sale.

May I ask why you were soaking the razor overnight in bleach? If you're trying to sanitize the razor use Barbicide or even scrubbing bubbles or rubbing alcohol.

I served as an Engineering Officer on a nuclear submarine. Stainless steel is an oxymoron.

I might also add that I am baffled by the torture people on this blog inflict upon razors and brushes in the name of sanitation.

Barbicide is not sold around here I think, but yes a proper cleaning solution would have been ideal. I was just lazy. I've given it a bit of a scrub and it looks better now:

Also listed it on ebay

Top Bottom