What's new

Favourite Youtube Shaver

Ever stopped and wondered

“why am i watching someone shave their face online”??? [emoji3166]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because when I was starting off in wet shaving I wanted tips on technique etc. Now it’s because I want to hear a review of a particular razor or soap or whatever . The fact that the person is shaving is irrelevant. I would watch even if he was just sitting in a chair chatting . (Well the technique tips I want to see him shaving )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There use to be a you tuber by the name of Erica she was pretty good with her reviews does anyone know what happened to her I think she brought out a range of shaving soaps
I like kevy shaves
Another cut above

There are a few things that I don't like about all of the YouTube influencers.

First off, they don't properly test the soaps that they are reporting on. When I've done testing for soap makers I'll dry my face out using a soap like Tabac for a week to ten days before testing. Then I'll use the soap I'm testing for two to three weeks reporting back on the quality of the different shave attributes as well as how my skin is changing shave by shave. It'll take months to go through a few versions but this extensive testing is the only way I can get a proper assessment. I can't get an accurate reading from one shave and if I'm using a highly moisturizing soap before it then it'll skew the results of the one I'm testing. I can say with certainty that neither can they so know going into it that their reviews should be considered more like first impressions and taken with a grain of salt. I look to people that I know personally and find knowledgeable over the YouTube personalities every time.

Second thing is that they certainly like to listen to themselves speak and they definitely like free stuff. The need for attention forces them to review way too many products way too quickly. The free stuff thing is why you almost never see a product get a poor rating. It's hard to get stuff for free if you don't trade a good rating for it. If you bash someone product other vendors will be less inclined to send you something to review. So I'd guess that they are inclined to provide a positive review to satisfy the vendors. Sure some products are good and that makes it easy when they are, but we all know that not everything out there is good. If fact quite bit of it is average to below average.

I've also seen reviews include price in the performance assessment which makes no sense to me at all. A Corvette won't out perform a Ferrari on the track because it costs way less money. They don't subtract minutes or seconds from the track time based on price. Performance is performance no matter what it is. Sure price is a factor on whether to buy something or not but it's not part of the performance. Same deal with the scent. A blue Corvette doesn't perform better than a red one because of the paint color. With scent, we all like different things. Scent and price should be an afterthought when it comes to grading performance. More like a footnote.

In terms of the YouTube influencers if I had to pick one it would probably be Ruds. Though I don't agree with all of his rankings he does seem a bit more knowledgeable than most. I consider his reviews to be first impressions. I'll take them into consideration but I'll also reach out to others that I trust to gather more information before purchasing products. I've gotten away from buying anything and everything to try it all.

Another thread reminded me of Charles Roberts. I found his videos, technique and enthusiasm, very fascinating.

I used to watch plenty of shaving videos on YouTube when I first started out, but I don't enjoy them as much anymore.

Among a few others that I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention, I like Kensurfs, Michael Freedburg, Paul H and Mantic.

The first videos I watched were Nick Shaves.

Is Nick still shaving? His YouTube channel has not had a new one added in a year.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used to watch Kensurfs and PaulH but their videos just seem like advertorials these days. "I'm really excited to use these great products sent to me by the great folks at...!". "Guess what? Those free products I received were great!", "By the way, here is a cheap shaving brush with my name on it". Some YouTube shavers, such as these, have done a lot to promote the hobby so it is difficult to be too critical when I myself have done nothing of the sort. And, I suppose it is natural that when you get 15K subscribers that manufacturers send you free stuff to try, and I don't begrudge them getting a few free products or making an income for their time. I just preferred it when they did more reviews of vintage items; I no longer watch the videos and has unsubscribed from the channels.

I also like Sinatra Lennon because he seems more honest in his reviews, he actually has given negative reviews on products he’s been given. Plus he’s funny and the vids are shorter.

Luca Dinaro is extremely skilled with a straight razor. However he’s speaking in Italian.
Also Mauro di Lernia, also Italian soeaker
Is that the Italian guy with the glasses and the crazy eye? (Not the one with the mustache) I like him the best. He seems to like Clubman products ( he says "Cloobmen") and it gives me a chance to practice my Italian.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
No doubt.

Specifically, social media of all types lets anyone finally become a celebrity. It used to be a big deal to get on TV but who needs that anymore? We have all the media platforms you could imagine and you don't even have to try to get on TV. You simply launch your own channel and you are someone now. People you will never meet praise you and your abilities for whatever it is you are doing. We are more connected than ever before and more lonely, thanks to our digital world.
Somehow I got away from looking at this thread and missed this post.

Very nicely put.

My son has been after me forever to get a tweeter account. Twitter I mean. Become a bigger Twit I mean.

I am a nut job. It's gotten worse as my brain bleeds continue, and my true nature has come out since I don't have a boss to impress in order to keep a job, lol!

And what little filter I had has nearly dissolved. Thank God that the War Department promised to keep me for better or worse!

I write all this to say: if I became a tweeter my son and his buddies would love it, as my sense of humor has been arrested at about the freshman year of high skool, but my lovely wife would not sit with me in church, my dear mother would hate my politics, and the world would be a worse place.

But since civilization as I grew up knowing it has been on a downward spiral since I was born (coincidence?) I may have to let him set me up an account. I may turn out to be the one who pushes the domino that starts the change the world needs!

Did I mention that I was self diagnosed as a megalomaniac?

I may turn out to be the one who pushes the domino that starts the change the world needs!

Did I mention that I was self diagnosed as a megalomaniac?

power-unlimited-power-14335843.png

Is that the Italian guy with the glasses and the crazy eye? (Not the one with the mustache) I like him the best. He seems to like Clubman products ( he says "Cloobmen") and it gives me a chance to practice my Italian.
The guy with the glasses is Mauro Di Lernia. He uses mostly DE razors. And he probably says Cloobmana as Italians tend to add a vowel to English words!😀
Luca uses mostly straights and has a brilliant handle bar mustache.

Definitely Mantic59!! Great info and truly valid critiques. Does it best IMHO! IF there's a second vote, it would be for Geofatboy. He is simply down to earth!! And, interesting views!

Top Bottom