What's new

Favorite Concert?

What was the best concert you went to?

Mine was AC/DC in 2008, my ears were still throbbing the next day:w00t:

My was Dan Fogelberg almost 20 years ago. He was on stage by himself. He either played a guitar or the piano. He played for over 2 hours. I was amazed at all the talent that he had to do that for that length of time.

My very first James Taylor concert in Michigan. I think it was 1978. Great! And he's still got it today. Also, Garth Brooks at the Wynn in Vegas. My wife surprised me and we went to the opening weekend a few years back.

Too many to list.
Black Sabbath with Pantera and Incubus opening.
Pantera at the Roy Wilkes aud. in St. Paul. Mosh pit was out of control. got beat up pretty good.
oh, R.L. Burnside in San Diego. Small club. Great show.

the list goes on and on.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Springsteen at Madison Square Garden on 12/19/1980.

He wasn't quite an unknown but he wasn't quite a megastar. Still diving into the audience, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, I was 18 years old, it was Christmas time in NYC. Lennon had just been murdered a couple of weeks before. Everyone just needed to cut loose.

If I recall (and I don't :rolleyes:) I think I had a good time.

Was it really All Those Years Ago? :eek:

An Acoustic Evening With Neil Young
1989-06-09, Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts, Mansfield, Massachusetts, USA
Solo w/ Frank Sampedro and Ben Keith

My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue) / Rockin' In The Free World / Comes A Time / Sugar Mountain / Pocahontas / Helpless / Crime In The City / For The Turnstiles / This Old House / Roll Another Number / Too Far Gone / This Note's For You / The Needle And The Damage Done / No More / After The Gold Rush / Heart Of Gold / Ohio / Rockin' In The Free World // Powderfinger

I've been to a lot of shows in a lot of different genres big and small, but for whatever reason this one really stands out to me. Maybe it was because the year before Neil had played with the Bluenotes and it was by far the worst show I've ever seen him do. Maybe it was a sort of "coming of age" moment for me. Maybe it was just that Neil had a killer set list and was really hitting all his notes on the guitar and piano. It felt very intimate. I loved that show. Still have a bootleg of it somewhere. It was kind of exciting to an aspiring young hippie when he dedicated his next tune to the people in Tiananmen Square (which had come to a head a few days before) and then broke out "Ohio". Ahhh to be young, and impressionable, and idealistic again...

I saw Queen at the Rosemont Horizon (Chicago) in September 1980. A few years ago, I found a pretty high quality bootleg of that show and could almost see the whole show in my mind.

In the last few years, the best show I saw was Pink Martini at a club called the Hot House in the near south side of Chicago -- maybe 300 people in the club.

Jay

Depeche Mode in Germany. 2.5 hour concert. Well worth it & had a balcony seating right above them. Awesome view, and was tone deaf for days!

Attachments

• $Duke.jpg
    $Duke.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Bunny Wailer in Long Beach 1986. First US appearance ever, first show he'd done in 20 years.
He had Sly and Robbie backing him up.
Best show I've ever seen in any genre.

Violent Femmes circa 1982, maybe? Little dive club right downtown, still 'bout 95 degrees out @ ~ 11:30pm (much hotter inside), crowd spilling out onto the street in front - the alley in back. Hardly room to breath, let alone move in the club. Not much better in the alley..killer show though.

-s

Top Bottom