What's new

November 22, 1963 was 60 years ago, where were you when JFK died?

Was a junior in high school. The entire school was called to the auditorium for an unknown reason until we got there. The student council president announced the assasination and there was absolute silence among over 1000 students. We were dismissed for the day and went home to a stunned father and weeping mother. Not a good day for anyone. And things have only gotten worse since then

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Was at home, news came in Germany later in the evening due to the time difference. My parents were really upset.

This thread triggers memories. I was thinking that the sixth grade me was not all that shocked or upset about Kennedy's being assasinated. Not that I wished him any ill. He seemed like an attractive enough leader/head of the country. Seemed to have a nice smile amd sense of humor. By the 7th Grade, I was liking Barry Goldwater, not that I am reealing any long term political thinking on my part here.

Anyway, this was a time no so long after WWII, in the middle of the cold war, as Viet Nam was ramping up, not long after the Cuban missile crisis and Bay of Pigs, although I doubt if I understood much about the latter. We were doing drills for nuclear attacks, where we took cover under our desks. Familes were being encouraged to build fall out shelters. I grew up close enough to Washington, DC that in the case of a nuclear attack, we would simply have been vaporized, and I think we knew that!

Although, it had been awhile since a US President had been successfully assasinated, and Kennedy was the first of a number of assasinations, there had been attempts of various sorts, and assasinations of leaders in other countries. I think I and my classmates were a little surprised to see how upset and shocked our parents, teachers, and other adults were. These were folks who had made it rhough WWII. Lots of what was being communicated to us was that it was a dangerous, violent world. One that seemed to require hyper vigilance. I do not think that any of us thought that the world was innocent, free, and easy. I am not sure the Kennedy assasination really changed the perceptions of younger people.

Memories of that day and ones to follow remain pretty vivid. I had not really though previously about why events did not seem so shocking.

We were doing drills for nuclear attacks, where we took cover under our desks.

Oh, how I remember those. My memories of scurrying under the desk go back to Jr High days. We had a Spanish teacher that had immigrated (escaped/fled/refugee?) from Cuba. We lived in Fort Walton Beach FL, not far from Hurlburt Field and Elgin AFB. It was the time when jets were breaking the sound barrier. Of course, whenever one flew over and the sonic boom reported throughout the skies, the poor man thought Castro was coming and ordered us all under our desks. It was funny at that age, but looking back, it wasn't all that humorous to him!

I was in fifth grade. Our principal, Sister Marion, came on the intercom and announced that Kennedy had been shot. Shortly after she came on again and announced his death. Both times one of my classmates made a wisecrack. Class clown I guess.

I was nine. The nuns conferred briefly in the hallway and returned to the classrooms to announce that the President "had been shot." She led us in a prayer for his recovery. Much scurrying about as the busses were recalled, and we went home early. The main gate to the Marine Corps base at Quantico was heavily reinforced and bristling with guns. It took a very long time to pass through it.

I was in the 5th grade. Then Sunday I remember going home after riding my bike somewhere and my sister told me Oswald was shot. My stepfather died on Nov. 22 too.

Top Bottom